Pedometer really accurate?

Options
I installed a Pedometer app for my iPhone. I have clocked 2551 steps and 220 calories? Really? I dont believe it. Anyone actually believe this?

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you carried it, if you were able to input your stats etc. Not sure how much I would trust an iphone app.
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd trust a phone app to work as a pedometer. The digital Omron I bought a few years back is pretty accurate and goes for about $25 in case you were thinking of getting a real one.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put any stock into the "calories" part of things.... its really just the same calories you would have been burning otherwise. But they are good for getting you motivated to walk a bit more.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Unless it's tracking heart rate, then no it's not accurate for calories burned.. Steps, it prob. is accurate though.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I REALLY wanted to believe in pedometers at one time.... I tried cheap ones, expensive ones - although not one that was a phone app.

I learned that NONE were accurate, especially on calorie count - heck, they didn't even get my step count right! Sometimes I'd wear more than one at a time and they'd be vastly different.

I'd take short and long walks and count manually to see which ones were closest..... what I learned was that they were far from accurate so I gave up on using them.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    if your phone pedometer uses GPS, it's probably accurate for distance. I LOVE my GPS pedometer. for calories.... eh, who knows.