Size 6 is a PLUS size model?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The whole point of a runway model is to be a walking hanger for the designer's clothes. You are meant to see the clothes and not the girl. Thats why there are different types of models. Yes, many take it to extremes and people did notice how thin the girls were so they thought, well, to wear those clothes I must be that thin too! And so it spread and grew into what is thought today.

I believe plus size models started at an 8 or 10 anyway. Runway models are a 2 or smaller so if you were in the middle you had to choose to gain or lose or be so sought after such as Brooke Shields that a photographer would cut up all the clothes then sew them on her to fit because they wanted her "look". So as someone said already, now a size 6 can stay a size 6 and get more jobs.

Why do I even know this stuff???

I get bored and read just about anything:blushing:
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    article-2085226-0F6A75F400000578-78_468x355.jpg
  • cherrybomb41290
    Options
    What a load of rubbish to be honest.

This whole "sizing thing" is a load of crap.

a size 6 is really a size 12

As woman of our century get bigger so does our clothing so the marketing industries of clothing labels make sizes smaller, putting smaller numbers out there. Clothing size is irrelevant. It is the measurements of the body that determine the size ultimately.

No clothing label has the exact same sizing system which is why when we go into one store we may fit one size, then we go in another and are not able to fit that size. The size is ultimately a vanity thing to make women feel smaller. and it is thought of by the company when they think of their target customers, and main customer group.

The standard measurement chart which was conducted at the time when mass produced clothing was becoming more popular, is what most designer labels use and these so called size "6" women are actually a size 10-12 on the standard sizing chart, as most sample clothing (which are the ones most commonly used in designer shows and photoshoots) are sampled in a size 10 or 12 according to the standard sizing chart so they may be upgraded or made smaller in size i agree this chart needs to be remade as women have gotten bigger since then. But most company such as walmart for example or macys they do mass produce clothing so they have their own sizing charts.

But these sizes are completely inaccurate. they can not just take one size and go oh yea its the same everywhere else so she must be thin. And alot of fashion weeks around the world have banned letting girls with unhealthy bmis walk the runway at fashion weeks.
    Curvy models are being used, alot more and the only really really thin models i have seen are the ones that do coutoure fashion.

And there are some females who are naturally thin like that and some designers like to show an unattainable glamorous lifestyle
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's true that the numbers mean nothing. When I was 120 lbs I wore a 6 less than 10 years ago and I'm still wearing a "6" today even though I've gained almost 20 lbs. I'm 5'3" and have a 30 inch waist.
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    And yet Marilyn Monroe was a size 12... so they say.

And Marilyn Monroe was absolutely gorgeous! Makes you wonder about how things are these days.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    So if I'm 5' 7" and size 8 I'm a plus size model sizing? haha. The plus size clothes stores are all too big for me but I do notice that a number use women that do actually fit their clothes in their ad campaigns. A good thing I think. I could never be a size 2 and be anything near healthy. For me, I'd be worried if I got under a 6. (using US sizes here).
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What I don't really understand is why models are supposed to be a 'hanger for the clothes'.

If that is really true, why not just have a hanger on a conveyor moving down the catwalk? If they want a person to be in the clothes then that must be so the clothes look natural in which case they should be on realistic (if still quite thin) models.

Seems a bit contradictory to me