NOT LOOSING WEIGHT OR INCHES????

Options
13»

Replies

• kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what most people are saying, you need to eat more.
    Also, you might want to consider tracking your sodium..because with all of that processed food, you are probably consuming way to much. Canned soup is really high...well pretty much anything canned.
    Good luck, and hang in there...weightloss is a hard journey and it's takes some tweeking here and there to find what works for you.
  • mfpwizard
    Options
    One more thing I might add to this topic. They say if you quit smoking, it might actually add to your weight. It is not a bad thing though. It is just that being used to smoking makes people smoke instead of eat. Eating and smoking are both a way of stress release for human beings and both could be harmful in their way. You have done so well in quitting and I am sure you have a strong will and will have a great success in this also.

Also I would recommend against too much calorie deficit in your diet. If you aim at more than 1000 calorie deficit a day you need to be under constant medical supervision. I personally aim at less than 500. It is not easy and you need to be so diligent and precise in tracking your food but I think the less deficit the better chance of success and the more permanent the weight loss.

If things get too complicated and does not work in anyway. Talk to your GP and a nutritionist perhaps.

Anyhow, from your profile, you have done well. You have quitted and also lost 4lbs so far. Go Girl!
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that those 4lbs I lost was partly water weight considering it came off so quickly. I do see that I eat a lot of processed foods and living on a very low budget is partly to blame ( I say partly because I could try a little more to eat more raw foods.) I think one thing I will have a problem letting go of is my morning cereal. I eat it at least 4 times a week. I thought I was doing good by eating a high fiber piece of toast and adding half a chopped apple to my cereal and also using 2% milk. Is there any suggestions on my morning meal that I can kinda keep that routine but just change it a little...
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that those 4lbs I lost was partly water weight considering it came off so quickly. I do see that I eat a lot of processed foods and living on a very low budget is partly to blame ( I say partly because I could try a little more to eat more raw foods.) I think one thing I will have a problem letting go of is my morning cereal. I eat it at least 4 times a week. I thought I was doing good by eating a high fiber piece of toast and adding half a chopped apple to my cereal and also using 2% milk. Is there any suggestions on my morning meal that I can kinda keep that routine but just change it a little...

I see you are eating 1 cup of cereal. Scale back this week to 3/4 cup, then next week to a half a cup. Use 1% milk. THEN - instead of eating an apple AND toast, eat an egg and toast or an egg and an apple. THEN ... once you are really in control (and you will get there!!!) - think about phasing it out altogether.

Slowly, slowly think of replacing your sugary carbs with protein, protein, protein. Protein keeps my appetite so in check!!! Now ... if I get toooooo hungry, I will just want carbs. So I try to mix a little bit of whole grain crackers with a cheese stick. Whole grain + protein + a little bit of fat = full and satisfied. Good luck!
  • EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well when I initially signed up for MFP I was only eating like 1,000 to 1,200 cals a day and just felt awful. MFP told me to eat around 1,600 and thats normally what I try to stay around now because I know that 1,000 was just too low. Although, the thought of eating back calories I earned from exercise just makes me cringe!! haha

then don't eat them. drink them!!!

Protein shakes are my favorite part of my diet!!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    are you a lot under your calorie goal? that will not help you lose...and you could gain if you are eating too little. check how much you are under...if it's a lot, then that could part of it
  • KellyLyn2011
    Options
    Thanks for starting this discussion. I woke up this morning and weighed and was terribly discouraged. Some of the advice below has given me new hope! Thanks again!! :)
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You could be eating too little. Your body could have dropped your metabolism. Eat your caloric allowance, all of it. Try to cut out empty calories like white bread and junk food. You say on your profile that you have been dieting all your life. Now is the time to do it right and slow. You'll be able to keep it off if this isn't a diet, think of it as a healthy way of living.

Agreeed!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i don't know you eating or exercise habits, but i'm going to assume you do what many people do when they want to lose weight: they starve themselves and do lots of cardio. women are the worst offenders, but men are guilt about doing this too. being overweight, you need to slowly adjust to this. remember, this is 80% nutrition.

so you set your "loss per week" goal to about 2lbs per week, and it spat out 1200, and you try to stay under that number. you might even be underestimating your daily activity level (without exercise) to sedentary. unless you are truly an office drone that sits at a desk all day, you should be at least at lightly active. remember, that number is already a deficit. you shouldn't be trying to come under it. if anything, go OVER!!

i think that if you are new to this game, you should change your weight loss settings for a loss of 1lb per week, and come as close as possible to the number MFP gives you. heck, if you go over by 200 its in the end of the world. while you're playing with your settings, take a look at what you maintenance calories are. see that number? as long as you eat under that number, you will still be at a calorie deficit. also, check out the tools bar, and check out your BMR. that is the number of calories your body needs just to stay alive if you were in a coma. do not eat less then this number.

while you are eating more, you need to chose healthy foods. however, so many people get into diet mode, and think all they can eat are egg whites and vegtables. fruits and veggies need to be included in a regular diet, but don't exlude foods like beef, pork, chicken (if you eat meat) because it gives you very essential proteins. if you are a vegitarian, you can get very good protein from many sources. btw, check out quinoa. i love it. its a grain that is also loaded in protein. yeah, don't cut out carbs completely. they are good for you.

i know a couple of women on here that were at 1200 calories. i told them pretty much what i told you now: eat more. i also told them to start strength training to supplement their cardio. at first they balked at upping their calories, but now they are like new people. their attitude has improved, they have lost more weight, inches (body fat percentage), and have more energy. i'm actually really inspired by them.

DO THIS!!!!!!! Exactly, I bet you can make your goals!!!!

I definitly have found form my own experiance diet is huge, eat lots of protien and water and stay away from salt...my diary is a bad example of sodium.....but yeah
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Well I have been trying to eat healthier and exercise more since I had my daughter 2 years ago. Before that it was just dieting, like I would do atkins for awhile and then return to my unhealthy eating. But now I understand thatc this is a change I must make for the rest of my life. I have noticed that since I started watching what I eat again since quitting smoking that I just don't loose weight the way I was before. I mean before I could weigh myself every couple of days I would loose at least half a pound or so and now its just like I'm stuck. Very discouraging.
    How long ago did you quit smoking? You body could still be adjusting from that.... Hang in there, and if you stick with it, the changes will come in time. It sounds like you've got the right attitude, so try not to get too discouraged. It might just take a while before you start to lose...
  • PersnicketyFits
    Options
    I took a (very short) gander at your diary. Your calories look good, but when you see mint ice cream and pizza for lunch it make you wonder. :-) What about fresh veggies? And are you working out at all? Also (I will admit I forgot to look) getting enough water does wonders.

Things that helped me:
    - Try finding new "sweets" to curb cravings - my favorite is making my own cocoa toasted almonds or the 100 calorie packs of chocolate pretzels or the Skinny Cow Clusters (My boyfriend picked some up for me last night MMMMMMMMM!) I'm also a big fan of celery and almond/peanut butter.

- Have a lean meat and salad supper - we are just now getting back into this, but seriously some of the tastiest (and most simple) meals I've had are seasoning some chicken breast, throwing it in the oven, and splitting a fresh salad mix. My fav is a lightly seasoned pork loin with the Asian salad kit.

- Figure out YOUR caloric intake that will cause weight loss. MFP's suggested caloric intake is where I started along with weighing myself daily and I noticed their suggestion was making me gain so I would take it back about 200 calories at a time. Mine is set so I'll eat at lease 1,200 to 1,300 but your body might retain fat at those numbers so you might want to try adding. I weighed myself daily and gave each caloric limit at least a few days to make sure it wasn't water weight.

- 10g of protein w/in 30 minutes of wake (tip from 4-Hour Body) - My breakfast is in two stages. I have a breakfast shake as soon as I wake up and then around 9:30 I have an Egg Mug (http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1499 has 3 recipes, but I simply just use 1/2 cup egg whites, a slice of turkey bacon, and a wedge of the Laughing Cow Light Swiss and it's very good and low-cal).

I hope these were helpful or that you discover your own tricks! It took me a long time to get motivated and even longer to figure out how to get my body to lose weight.
  • PersnicketyFits
    Options
    Oh, I also love looking at the "Flat Belly Day" meal plan Women's Health has in every issue (they are also on their website for free, but next time you're in the check-out line flip through one and take a peak) and pulling ideas for snacks and to-go lunches. Very fresh, very simple.

I love WH mag. I also love their 15-minute work outs (they have made a book of them, but I believe you can find those online as well). So, if you're looking for a magazine, this is definitely my recommendation. Since subscribing I just feel like I've learned so much. I figured if I was going to look anywhere for healthy weight loss tips and to skip the gimmicks, what better recourse than a magazine focused on women's health rather than "lose 10 lbs in a week"! It's very motivating.
  • Rokoska_wechanged
    Options
    Hi guys, I am wondering if you can help me. I am a mother of an almost 3 year old and had a baby 4 months ago and started exercising and want to loose weight. I started tracking about 2 weeks ago. And at first I quickly lost 6 pounds of water weight i am guessing, now after this weekend I am up 2 already. I do an hour of exercising a day, every day. Somedays I go to the mall before it opens and push a stroller while fast walking, average heart rate about 125. Other days I do a half hour on the elliptical with average heart rate of about 140 and then do Jillian michaels 30 day shred with average heart rate of 150, Other days I do an hour on the elliptical. I have a polar watch and heart rate monitor and monitor and add the exercise to the log and most days eat my calories and Somedays when we go out to eat even more. What am I doing wrong? I have cut out pop (used to drink a can or two a day) I do still drink Tim Hortons coffee but always log everything religiously. Please help, I am getting discouraged but I really want to lose weight without diet pills etc. I am also exclusively nursing and add that to the log so it takes 500 calories and other things away. I opened my diary please have a look. I have been adding recipes of homemade food that I make so hopefully that's accurate. thank you!!!