truvia--A new Sweetner 0 calories

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
I found this morning. It taste pretty good. To me no bitter after taste, do not know if you can cook with it. guess I need to look it up on the net. The price seems pretty reasonable I found mine at walmart super center. any comments? Caliecat

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I found this morning. It taste pretty good. To me no bitter after taste, do not know if you can cook with it. guess I need to look it up on the net. The price seems pretty reasonable I found mine at walmart super center. any comments? Caliecat
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    This is based on the Stevia plant, right? I saw that in the store and was curious to try it...didn't end up buying it though.
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    It taste just like sugar, I received a sample in my sunday newspaper a few weeks ago and it is yummy.
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    Oh and if you go to the truvia website it has conversions for baking.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I believe the main ingredient is actually Erithrytol. http://www.truvia.com/faq.html

Erithrytol gives me horrible gas, so I stay away from it. I'd be interested in seeing whether anyone else experiences side effects.
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    I use the actual Stevia brand for about 2 years ... I find it at Vitamin Cottage. I have always loved it b/c it comes in packets and a liquid form.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I was just looking at truvia in the grocery store and almost got it ( I didnt feel like driving all the way to the health food store for stevia) I noticed that it has natural flavors but they dont tell you what.

I ended up getting maple sugar instead and I'll take the time to go get stevia later this week. I have had bad reactions to sweeteners in the past so I just want to know exactly whats in my food.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Truvia does contain some stevia extract, but its main ingredient is actually erythritol - a sugar alcohol similar to sorbitol, mannitol and maltitol.
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been using Stevia sweeteners for about a year. If you use too much, it can be bitter, so it takes a little experimenting. I shop at Kroger and they have NuStevia in the health food isle. Its main ingredient is maltodextrin, unlike the Truvia brand. I use the NuStevia powder and liquid. You can cook with it, unlike many artificial sweeteners. I use it mainly to sweeten plain fat free yogurt. That, with some vanilla, gives me the flavor I love, without the calories of sugar or the side effects of artificial sweeteners. Like a previous post, I also have to avoid alcohol sugars, but don't run into the same problem with NuStevia. Jay Robb Whey protein is also sweetened with Stevia, which gives me a good protein source... I add it to milk I pour on my oatmeal... add a chopped banana or strawberries and I don't miss the brown sugar I added as a child.