Troubled chocoholic

2»

Replies

• gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    I keep it quiet by having chocolate in some form nearly every day. Diet Hot Cocoa, Fiber One Chocolate bars or brownies, or my favorite...sugar free Hershey's Syrup with strawberries or a banana. It's never a lot, but enough to squash the cravings.
  • I eat chocolate. I get Nestle mini morsels. I have these little tiny dishes with lids that I portion out 1 TBSP of the morsels into, cover, and store them for when I have a craving. Eat one or two at a time, and by the time I'm done, I've eaten 70 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g carbs, 8 g sugars...and cured my chocolate craving without killing my calorie allotment.

I also have pretzel M&M's around...to eat half a serving (8-10 pieces), one at a time. 90 calories, 6 g fat, 28 g carbs, 20 g sugars. The morsels are better. ;)
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 196 Member
    I keep it quiet by having chocolate in some form nearly every day. Diet Hot Cocoa, Fiber One Chocolate bars or brownies, or my favorite...sugar free Hershey's Syrup with strawberries or a banana. It's never a lot, but enough to squash the cravings.

I wonder if this approach would work for me. I might have to give it a try. find some way to incorporate chocolate in some form.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 196 Member
    WHAT???? Do these exist in Canada? If not how does one smuggle them across the border? :smokin:

my thoughts exactly! hahah
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Okay. don't kill me, people. I eat Hershey's chocolate kisses.

Seriously. Nothing is absolutely bad. A single serving of normal chocolate should not break your calorie bank that badly. (Okay, maybe half a serving of the kisses, but that's still 3-4 pieces.)

For me the key is simple portioning. Don't keep the bag of chocolate or whatever next to you on the couch or at the computer. Keep it in the kitchen. When you want some, put a single portion (or half portion, whatever you're allotting yourself) on a plate or in a bowl. Put the rest away and take the plate with you to the living room or where ever, sit down and really enjoy your snack, don't wolf it. You should be able to do this almost every day if that is what you really love.

If you're worried about the sugar shock to the system, have a half cup or cup of low fat milk with the chocolate to add protein. I like milk with my chocolate anyway.

The best thing I've found to help with the cravings is to moderate but don't deny myself. And eat the chocolate that you WANT. In my experience, substitutes are rarely satisfying and just leave me wanting the real thing more, so all the calories I just consumed are truly wasted. If you're really loving your snack and wanting more, try thinking about when you'll get to enjoy it again, tomorrow.

Of course, not all advise works for everyone but this has worked for me and is working for my mom too and we are both very morbidly obese. Hopefully that will be a thing of the past soon.