Please read diaries before commenting

Options
124»

Replies

• mommyoverboard
    Options
    Yes, I log it - it keeps me accountable. Even if I've had a "bad" day I log it. I might not POST it, lol, but its still viewable if my friends go looking for it. And 9 times out of 10 I think about that before deciding to do that last minute workout at the end of the night to burn some extra cals off.
    Does just 'logging in' count for anything?

Shouldn't you strive to log in your food, whether good or bad, to make that conscious effort to do better, be healthier and lose those unwanted pounds??

Just sayin'....

thats right i agree
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't close the diary if I didn't add to it, it seems kind of pointless!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I can understand where the OP is coming from.
    This is why I keep my friends to a minimum and people that I feel I have something in common with.
    I don't remark on anyone's diary that I can't see. I think the whole point for having friends on here is
    to be able to get honest feedback. Otherwise, everyone would keep their diaries closed I've wondered
    why anyone would have more than 20 friends on mfp.

I can't resist. While I would LOVE to be able to cultivate close friendships with a few people - I spend most of my time on MFP either logging my diary (haven't missed a calorie in 362 days!) or here on the message boards.

Consequently - I get friend requests. I *could* put on my profile that I'm not taking friend requests, but I have several friends that I chose to add when I first joined MFP because they were successful. I LOVED looking in their diaries and asking them questions of how they did it. So, I have several "friends" that I never talk to or comment on but just watch from time to time. I even told them in the friend request this is what I wanted - was to watch.

Therefore, I assume that at least a small percentage of the population might be like me and like to watch successful people. So, when I get friend requests - I don't decline them. I DO, however, let my friends know up front that I'm not likely to be their most one-on-one supportive friend. And as long as they are ok with that... add away.

That all being said - it does feel great to have a few close pals and I can respect those profiles I read that say, "sorry, no longer accepting requests"

Once again - I have a hard time saying no to people. :ohwell:
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    if i'm going to comment on someone's diary (which i rarely do), i make sure to look at it. i hate getting generic responses from people i KNOW haven't even looked, so i don't do it. what's the point of mass commenting 50 "wtg"s? it's pointless. so yes, i agree.

and to comment on a previous poster saying that they make sure to say something rude if someone had a high calorie meal....in what way is that okay? who are you to judge what they choose to eat? i have high calorie meals sometimes and i'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to say something to me about it. we're all adults. i think we can choose what we eat.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had to set mine private because of the ill-informed and not-so-helpful comments. I have a chronic health condition that, unless you have it, you wouldn't have a clue what my diet should be. And I am my own worst task-master ... got tired of all the comments. Some, of course, were well-intentioned from friends "in the know" and who are following my progress, but others were drive-bys and not at all helpful.
  • Tainers
    Tainers Posts: 21
    Options
    I always read before I comment. I do not want to congratulate people for eating 700 calories. :(

I wouldn't automatically fault someone for eating 700 calories....I am under a weight loss doctors care and I am not suppose to eat more than 1000 calories a day and usually I am in the 700 range....but I watch my protein which is suppose to be between 90-125grams, carbs under 50grams and sugar under 30grams....I was also instructed not to log in my veggies....which I eat a ton of btw....Im also not suppose to log my exercise per my doctor....so far so good...I have lost 20lbs in just under a month and not a single pound of that has been lean mass lost!!!
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying, although so many folks are clearly missing the point. And I agree, some folks on here will seriously try to eat 500 calories a day and it may do more damage to tell them WAY TO GO!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i only comment if i have read it. and i try and give a helpful comment. thats why we get friends. to have people to keep us accountable and point out where we can make improvements.

you dont have to check in on all your friends everyday. but as often as you can.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I spend most of my time on MFP either logging my diary (haven't missed a calorie in 362 days!) or here on the message boards.

just wanted to quickly reply to this: wow! that's pretty impressive! i struggle with giving up some days so it's motivating to read that :)
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, everyone would keep their diaries closed I've wondered

I totally agree. I only have friends I know in the real world, and some select people who I feel are very helpful, or that I know I can be helpful to them. I get tired of the "I'm cleaning out my friends list tonight of people who haven't logged in five days" kind of crap. When people do that, I delete them. I'm not here to police others, and I don't need to be policed. I'm here to help myself get well, and, in so doing, to help as many others as I can. I get tired of all the little "police states" I sometimes find created here.
  • ashleygeex26
    ashleygeex26 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You also have to take health issues into considerations. There are days I am at 800 or 900 calories a day because I have stomach issues. I will eat a full 3 meals a day and two snacks snacks, but I will still be under 1200 calories. It doesn't mean I'm not taking it seriously but I have a health disorder that doesn't allow me to eat much more than that. You can't just assume that everyone has an ED because of their calorie intake. I am almost offended by some of these comments, they can be taken in a hurtful way if there is someone out there like me that does have stomach issues. and days when I am at 8 or 900 calories I still appreciate the WTG because I know it took a lot for me to consume that many calories....
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Haha...I've felt the same way before. Or I'll look at someone else's diary after people have commented "WTG" or "GOOD JOB" and the person logged like 1 VERY HIGH CALORIE/FAT meal...I'm like really? LOL So I usually comment something snarky....but that's also why people friend me because I'm brutally honest ;)
    What's it to you if someone eats a high cal/high fat meal? If they have the fat/macros/cals remaining... then good for them. If they don't-it's not your job to do anything about it.

see? Diary police are everywhere! They're everywhere!

If that's the kind of friend you're looking for....to tell you how great you are because you ate like *kitten*, then don't friend me. I'll show my badge proudly to anyone who wants to see it. It's been MY experience (and I'm only speaking from MY experience) that if they only log 1 meal, and it's high cal/fat meal, chances are they just chose not to log their rest of their day. I'd venture to say not many people can eat 1 extra value meal in the middle of the day and nothing else....and for the record...I HAVE seen the exact scenario I'm describing...and I did ask about it, even after the friend had received many blanket "WTG's" and we are still friends....
  • Elenazuniga
    Options
    I appreciate and welcome feedback...even if I haven't done well. Encouragement keeps me trying. This is a site for support. Make your diary private. Then nobody sees what you eat, but if you have MFP 'friends' on here..expect them to support you and comment. Otherwise, delete your friends and try to do this alone. Sounds like you only want to pull out your "friends" and use them when it's convenient for you.
    I"m not trying to sound mean...just stating the facts.

I totally agree with you.. If you add ppl its because somehow you were hopong for some type of encouragement..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I can understand where the OP is coming from.
    This is why I keep my friends to a minimum and people that I feel I have something in common with.
    I don't remark on anyone's diary that I can't see. I think the whole point for having friends on here is
    to be able to get honest feedback. Otherwise, everyone would keep their diaries closed I've wondered

I can't resist. While I would LOVE to be able to cultivate close friendships with a few people - I spend most of my time on MFP either logging my diary (haven't missed a calorie in 362 days!) or here on the message boards.

Consequently - I get friend requests. I *could* put on my profile that I'm not taking friend requests, but I have several friends that I chose to add when I first joined MFP because they were successful. I LOVED looking in their diaries and asking them questions of how they did it. So, I have several "friends" that I never talk to or comment on but just watch from time to time. I even told them in the friend request this is what I wanted - was to watch.

Therefore, I assume that at least a small percentage of the population might be like me and like to watch successful people. So, when I get friend requests - I don't decline them. I DO, however, let my friends know up front that I'm not likely to be their most one-on-one supportive friend. And as long as they are ok with that... add away.

That all being said - it does feel great to have a few close pals and I can respect those profiles I read that say, "sorry, no longer accepting requests"

Once again - I have a hard time saying no to people. :ohwell:

same here
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this post got here...
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send those lying sacks of shoes to my page lol i need as many "WTG'S" as i can get!

lol!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For those of us who work 16 hours a day, we don't have time to check that our friends are actually logging everything in their diary. Several people have explained that you do not have to close your diary to log in. But you insist on doing it. I am very supportive of all my friends as they are to me. I don't have time to read every diary. I take them at their word that their diary is accurate. If you are so obsessed with your log in days number that you want to criticize people who have complemented you on being under, I think you have other things to worry about.
    Personally I have come across people who are way too concerned about their days in a row. If I am on vacation, I log my calories and exercise every day. If I know I am not meeting my goals then I deserve to have to start over, not just keep logging in and not doing the work. Just my opinion. I have been heavy since age 12 and am more concerned with many other aspects of my lifestyle change, etc. than how many days in a row I have logged in is the least important one I can think of. Have a great night and weekend!!

Troy
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This is what I was wondering. This is a food diary, so you are supposed to log the good and the bad. You shouldn't really choose whether or not you are going to record it based on your decision that it was unhealthy. Not getting that part. But, I do understand what he is saying. I have seen diaries where the person logged that they ate snickers and McDonalds during the day. Yes, they were under but the food wasn't healthy or nutritious. On the other hand, as another poster said, who has the time to open and read through everyone's diary. Just don't keep it open for others, if you don't like what they are going to say about it.
    Does just 'logging in' count for anything?

Shouldn't you strive to log in your food, whether good or bad, to make that conscious effort to do better, be healthier and lose those unwanted pounds??

Just sayin'....
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    Encouragement is Good. And all u need to do is log in everyday and MFP will know. It always says no matter what how many days u have logged in for.