Date Night/Dinner Out - WWYD?

Options
I'm having a date night with my husband tomorrow - the third one since the baby was born almost a year ago! Anyways, we are going out to eat, and I'm not sure what to do. I would love some suggestions of restaurants/meals that are low-calorie, but I'm also considering it to be a "free day" type thing and just order what I want...But I'm not sure if that will sabotage me or not - I know restaurant meals can sometimes be 1500+ calories. I've already told my hubby no buffets, but I'm still nervous. Suggestions? I'd love to try and eat responsibly tomorrow, but I don't even know what restaurants serve anymore, and I know even the "healthy" foods on the menus are loaded with calories. Restaurants with the nutritional facts on their menus would be awesome!

Replies

• visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Went to Outback last weekend and I got out pretty well - the Special Steak - 7oz, house salad with tangy tomato dressing (my new fave -it really is tangy) and the veggies. I also had a glass of wine and one slice of bread. Pre the wine it was 608 calories.

I had to spend some time on the website and really plan out my meal before we went. I'm glad I did, otherwise I would have had over 1000 calories.

All chains have to have their nutrition info on their website if they exist in CA, NY and a few other states, so I recommend that you think about where you want to go, what you want to eat and then figure it out - I really enjoyed my steak and my whole meal was guilt free because I was prepared for it.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!!!!
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh - just noticed you name - I'm a Virginia too - that's the vi part of my screen name!!!
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh - just noticed you name - I'm a Virginia too - that's the vi part of my screen name!!!

I've never met another Virginia before other than my husband's grandmother. =) Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look online and see if I can find some calorie information!
  • orquidia23
    orquidia23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Virginia,

I would suggest not to worry to much on what you eat, but how much you eat. Keep in mind that the size of your stomache is both your hands cupped together. Whatever that hollow is, is the size of what you should be eating for the nite. In my experience restaurants serve 3x's the portions than usual. Don't feel embarassed to eat what you want and take the rest home when you are full. If you've been on a diet regimine for a while your stomach should be able to tell you when you've reached satiety.

Hope this was of help and have a great time!
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow...so far the only restaurant that I was able to think of that actually had their nutrition information online is TGI Friday's, and OMGOSH at the calorie counts on those things! The appetizers alone have more than half of my calorie allowance for a day! :laugh: And I saw "Green Bean Fries" and thought just maybe they'd be healthier than other things - nope! 900 calories! :noway:

I think I'll just be ordering what I fancy and sticking half of it (or more) into a go box for later....or maybe I can convince my husband to split an entree with me, that way we aren't bringing the food back into the house! Does anyone know how big the soups are at TGI Friday's? I LOVE French onion soup, and it's only 280 calories - but is it going to be a small 8oz cup or an actual bowl of soup?
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How about Chilpolte? They are delicious and a pretty relaxed place. Maybe that's too "fast food" though. You should be able to order a salad from anywhere that isn't too bad as long as you ask for the dressing on the side. Also, you could save some cals by asking them to sub brocolli instead of fries, or other low cal food for high cal sides.

Good luck... enjoy the date! :)
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Go out, have a great time without worrying about your calorie consumption, and burn it off at night. ;)
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A lot of menus now have the calories on them at lots of places. EVEN the deserts. Some times they even have point values if your doing weight watchers. So don't be nervous you'll be fine. And as the post above says you can always work it off!
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd suggest that since your date nights are so infrequent, have a 'free night' and cut right back the next day. I have lost weight (almost 10 lbs a month) right through the holiday season while having a 'splurge' day every week or two. It really didn't slow me down at all.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not give a flip about the low calorie meals. Fit in a good work out that morning and go enjoy a great meal out. When my husband takes me out, we always go somewhere nice and I don't give a thought to "OMG...how many calories is this". Especially in your case, being the 3rd date out, don't worry about it. It's not rocket science here, eat in moderation and work out or do like you suggested and think of it as a free day.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Go out, have a great time without worrying about your calorie consumption, and burn it off at night. ;)

This! It's a treat, eat what you want, and don't worry about it. Enjoy yourself!

I've been on a few "date nights" over my weight loss journey and I've found a splurge night actually helps me lose. I've lost almost 46 so far.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    MIMIS CAFE IS A GOOD CHOICE, THEY HAVE ALOT OF HEALTHY AND TASTY ENTREES... ALSO, SOUP PLANTATION OR ANOTHER TYPE OF FULL SALAD / SOUP BAR... ALSO, I THINK ANYWHERE YOU GO, YOU CAN MAKE A GOOD CHOICE BY ORDERING A NICE CHICKEN SALAD, LIKE ASIAN CHICKEN SALAD OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT... WATCH YOUR GREASY ENTREES, YOUR FATTY ENTREES, YOUR FRIED ENTREES... THE MORE VEGGIES, THE MORE RAW, THE BETTER! SORRY FOR THE CAPS... i just noticed, and i dont feel like re-typing... lol

the only reason my advice is to not go off or have a "free night" is because i have a bad track record doing that! i plan to go off one day, and the next day, i tell myself, well, i already went off, one more day wont kill me... yeah, that lasts about a month before i get my big butt into gear... and by then, ive gained everything i lost plus 5 more! lol
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    cheesecake factory has a great chicken bruschetta. grilled breast served on a bed of greens with bruschetta on top. it was a huge portion and under 300 cals.. the only challenge than is to resist the cheesecake. controlling the portion size on anything you choose should be fine. have fun with your hubby ;)
  • stwalsh226
    Options
    I used to work @ Fridays. It's an actual crock of French Onion Soup, with the provolone melted over the sides and everything. I used to eat it all the time for something quick when I was working.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the ladies who posted not to stress over cals on date night. relax, enjoy your food and your hubby's company, think of it as a luxurious evening. I hope you two have a great time!
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    See if they can cook your stuff with very low salt!!!! That way you can add your own and you don't retain water. ....
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I always check out the calorie values online. Then I eat a handful of baby carrots or celery before I go. When my order comes I ask for a to-go box and put half of it inside right away. Sounds weird, but it really does keep you from picking at it as you sit there.

With these 2 compromises I get to order what I really want, not the healthy thing that doesn't say "celebration" to me.

Make sure whatever you do, you log those calories, and if you go overboard, burn it off the next day, (or even an extra 10 min of exercise spread through out the week).
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    Just from a guy's point of view...if I were married and wanted to take my wife out for a date night, even though I would respect her wishes on the restaurant, I'd probably secretly hope we could put that aside for one evening and just go out and have a good time, enjoy our dinner, and heck, even have dessert...you sound like you are very focused on not sabotaging your diet, so I doubt if enjoying a splurge dinner with your husband will derail you....I say have fun, live and love on your date night out...
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    We had our first date night in forever last week. Like first time in 3 years between kids and deployment.

I ate light all day then stopped caring when we got out the door. Had Hibachi, scorpion bowl and raisinettes at the movies.

It doesn't happen often so enjoy, One night is not going to derail everything.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Just from a guy's point of view...if I were married and wanted to take my wife out for a date night, even though I would respect her wishes on the restaurant, I'd probably secretly hope we could put that aside for one evening and just go out and have a good time, enjoy our dinner, and heck, even have dessert...you sound like you are very focused on not sabotaging your diet, so I doubt if enjoying a splurge dinner with your husband will derail you....I say have fun, live and love on your date night out...

This is a great perspective! I know my husband would feel the same way, we've had the same issue in the past. We have 5 kids and date nights don't come often either. I learned to relax and enjoy myself on the rare occasions that we get to have one. :smile: