Running in the Cold?

Options
So I have embarked in perhaps the biggest challenge yet...Starting the couch to 5k 9 week program on active.com...With my FIRST 5k in March :)

I live in the very, icy cold climate that is Vermont...

What gear should I get in order to keep comfy, warm and on the go!

E

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i am ready to start C25K as well, and i live in Maine! i am waiting for spring time, just because i have no day light when i get home from work. Good luck!
    I recommend Nike or Underarmour heatgear as your base layer!
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    http://running.about.com/od/safetyweather/tp/coldweathersafety.htm

also.....running in cold weather is awesome.....somehow I tend to run faster when its colder...

neways...good luck and have fun .....
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    A warm hat and gloves; depending on how cold it is try battery heated gloves. A ski mask instead of a hat will keep your face warm. And lots of thin layers of clothes.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recommend a balaclava. You can wear it to only your eyes are exposed. I struggle with it over my mouth, but I pull it down from time to time. It also keeps your neck good and warm.
    Invest in Under Armour cold gear running tights. They are worth the money...keeps the cold off your legs.
    Layer up and make sure to keep your core warm.
    If you do not wear the balaclava, make sure to cover your ears. Wear the mittens that pull back to expose your fingers as gloves, but still keeps your thumbs warm. Very important.

Best of luck to you!!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Mizuno Breath Thermo products - the fabric "heats up" as you run/sweat to keep you warm. AMAZING!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A treadmill for inside? [/sarcasm]

I live in Florida, my advice is very limited (tonite I ran in compression shorts, jogging shorts, compression tank and a short sleeve wicking shirt, not the advice you need :happy: ). You should be able to get some good advice on the forum. Or, just to get a general idea, check here: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/

Dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than what you're running in. As you get moving around, you'll warm up. The only thing I've found doesn't get warm when I run is my hands, so a decent pair of gloves is definitely a must.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And good for you for running outside! Training on a treadmill really doesn't help you train for an actual race. Two totally different animals! :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Layers! That way, when you start getting hot you can start peeling them off. I also recently bought a thermal wind resistant pullover...LOVE IT! I had to buy it in Cincinnati because I live in SW Louisiana and I doubt I would find anything like that down here! Good luck with the program!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Wear the mittens that pull back to expose your fingers as gloves, but still keeps your thumbs warm. Very important.

Best of luck to you!!!

I am confused about the mittens - do you mean, leave the fingers out of cover, but keep the thumb in? And why? I am also planning on running outside during winters, so looking for tips!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner too, and I rely on this site pretty much every morning: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html

It has ranges from - 40 through 120 degrees (or something like that) and lets you factor in wind chill, etc. I'm a fan.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Warm socks (smart wool is great)
    Warm gloves
    A good windbreaker
    Wicking clothing
    UA has a very warm running top that so far has been GREAT for running in single digit windchills. I will be trying it out again tonight.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I live in MN. It's supposed to be 8 degrees this afternoon with 5-10mph wind. I'm going to wear tights under fleece pants, a wicking base layer shirt, a fleece shirt, windbreaker, gloves, and hat.

That's what I've been wearing when it's in the single digits. I'm usually toasty warm after a few minutes.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think everyone gave great advice already. To supplement / clarify, I'd say:

- only wicking technical fabrics anywhere (read: no cotton!!!)
    - layers, layers, layers - wear a vest over a wind-blocking jacket over a warm, wicking base layer - you'll be surprised by how warm you get during your runs, even when it's cold out
    - I also use the Runner's World online tool (www.runnersworld.com/whattowear) to help guide me - if I didn't, I'd almost always be overdressed

Happy running!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Best accessory for running during winter? A gym membership!
    I love running outside compared to inside, but some days it's just NOT going to happen. If the trails are to wet and/or slick, I'm not going to risk it but I don't want to get out of the habit of running.
    Dreadmill!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Layers, layers, layers! It's going to be cold starting out, but you will start sweating pretty quickly as you move, so you'll want to be able to take things off.

Gloves and something to cover the ears are essential and I suggest carrying tissues.

And watch out for ice!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Layers are the best! No cotton, either. Plus it helps if you warm up inside for 10 minutes on treadmill or bike. It won't take so long to get warm outside.

I live in South Texas so I don't typically have this problem.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Minnesota here

I love the nike combat underlayers. At -10, I can wear that top and a warmer pullover and be fine. Add face mask (underarmor) for windy days plus good tights. CWX are pretty good there.

and mittens!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Never been much of a runner, but with rugby practice I found that warming up indoors where it was warm (barring that warming up with a lot of warm clothing on) helped a lot when I finally did get out into the cold. Might help you, I dunno.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Search, this has been covered several times.

The simple answer is this - layers, and lots of them. From light to heavy, and include a windblocker layer too. I like craft and ibex stuff, but it ain't cheap.
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    And since the cold weather usually brings with it shorter days - wear reflective strips and lights so people and cars can see you if you are out in the dark! And of course a head lamp if you can't see the ground, helps avoid icy patches.