30 Day Shred. Good or Bad????

Options
2»

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I really liked the 30 day Shred, especially the 2nd and 3rd level. I was amazed that I could sweat so much in 20 minutes. I did not like the way she dressed as I have children viewing, so I decided to put it away.

Wait, what?

LMAO - I know - I just wasn't gonna say anything. Any excuse is better than none, you know
  • Helkaahaien
    Options
    Most likely you will not lose a lot of weight on the 30DS but you will lose inches! I love it and plan on starting it again soon for some more toning!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Can it be done with knee issues? I've been thinking about getting it but not sure how tough it is on the knees.

My knees bother me too - she gives 'beginner' modifications for most exercises but there *is* quite a lot of jumping (she loves jumping jacks and there are other jumping movements as well). Whenever my knees were bothering me, I would just not go down as low on the squats and lunges, and I would either only jump very low or substitute in a different movement that wouldn't put as much stress on my knees. I started the Shred in November and finished in December, then kept doing it occasionally along with alternating some other Jillian dvds that I bought when I finished the first round - my knees still bother me some, but not nearly as much as when I first started. I think the strength exercises actually helped improve them - the key is to not overdo it and be aware of when you need to take it easy so that you don't injure yourself. Also pay careful attention to your form on the squats and lunges - you don't want your knee to go forward past your toes, you want it to stay over the top of your foot and make your butt go out behind you so your knees don't go forward. She points this out in the dvd but she has a bad habit of going through the exercise one time before pointing it out. I will say Level 3 has some serious jumping moves that I still have problems with b/c of my knees - like I said I just substitute in a different cardio movement during that time to keep my heartrate going.

Girls, here's something you might experiment with. I've struggled with knee issues for a couple years. Tried arch supports of various kinds...lots of different brands of shoes, etc. etc.

When I started the 30 day shred...the jumping exercises were killing my knees so I got a rebounder (mini tramp). That helped a lot, but still felt it a bit. Then I read on the forums here that some people were running barefoot to relieve the knee pain. At the time I thought that sounded like bad advise because I've always been told I need arch supports and good shoes.

BUT, I gave it a shot.....let me tell you...i've been doing shred level 2 for 5 days now barefoot and my knees feel better than they have in a longggg time. I'd have never believed it. I'm going to keep doing the entire dvd barefoot unless things change for the worse. When I mentioned this to a friend, she said a lot of the Crossfit exercises are done barefoot too because you get better movement.

Weird, but it's relieved a lot of stress on my knees. You might give it a shot...:)
  • MelissaBradt
    Options
    I am on level 2 and day 14. I love it and also already have great results! I have noticed my butt looks better and that fat on the side of my upper thigh is looking so much better! Oh and my arms!!!!! My arms are getting so much stronget and looking better. I think this summer I will feel a lot better wearing my swimsuit!
  • bridgettef
    bridgettef Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can it be done with knee issues? I've been thinking about getting it but not sure how tough it is on the knees.

I don't have great knees and there seems to be a lot of exercises that hurt them. I modify the ones that REALLY hurt but I can do most of them,
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been using it most days for about a month. I have not noticed dramatic results but I can feel the difference in my abs which I've never noticed before. I alternated between level 1 and 2 and sweat a ton in a 20 min workout.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

My knees bother me too - she gives 'beginner' modifications for most exercises but there *is* quite a lot of jumping (she loves jumping jacks and there are other jumping movements as well). Whenever my knees were bothering me, I would just not go down as low on the squats and lunges, and I would either only jump very low or substitute in a different movement that wouldn't put as much stress on my knees. I started the Shred in November and finished in December, then kept doing it occasionally along with alternating some other Jillian dvds that I bought when I finished the first round - my knees still bother me some, but not nearly as much as when I first started. I think the strength exercises actually helped improve them - the key is to not overdo it and be aware of when you need to take it easy so that you don't injure yourself. Also pay careful attention to your form on the squats and lunges - you don't want your knee to go forward past your toes, you want it to stay over the top of your foot and make your butt go out behind you so your knees don't go forward. She points this out in the dvd but she has a bad habit of going through the exercise one time before pointing it out. I will say Level 3 has some serious jumping moves that I still have problems with b/c of my knees - like I said I just substitute in a different cardio movement during that time to keep my heartrate going.

Girls, here's something you might experiment with. I've struggled with knee issues for a couple years. Tried arch supports of various kinds...lots of different brands of shoes, etc. etc.

When I started the 30 day shred...the jumping exercises were killing my knees so I got a rebounder (mini tramp). That helped a lot, but still felt it a bit. Then I read on the forums here that some people were running barefoot to relieve the knee pain. At the time I thought that sounded like bad advise because I've always been told I need arch supports and good shoes.

BUT, I gave it a shot.....let me tell you...i've been doing shred level 2 for 5 days now barefoot and my knees feel better than they have in a longggg time. I'd have never believed it. I'm going to keep doing the entire dvd barefoot unless things change for the worse. When I mentioned this to a friend, she said a lot of the Crossfit exercises are done barefoot too because you get better movement.

Weird, but it's relieved a lot of stress on my knees. You might give it a shot...:)

That is really interesting - I actually did a different Jillian DVD tonight (banish fat boost metabolism) and I was barefoot b/c my feet were hot LOL - anyway I felt like I was so much better at the jumping movements than usual and assumed I was just have a good day - I will have to try barefoot workouts more often! If you hadn't commented, I might not have even thought about the connection, thank you so much for sharing!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I really liked the 30 day Shred, especially the 2nd and 3rd level. I was amazed that I could sweat so much in 20 minutes. I did not like the way she dressed as I have children viewing, so I decided to put it away.

Wait, what?

LMAO - I know - I just wasn't gonna say anything. Any excuse is better than none, you know

Some people prefer more modest dress, no midriff showing etc, nothing wrong with personal preferences. Plus you know there is that moment in level 2 where I always think her left boob is about to pop out of her sportsbra. LOL.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Wait, what?

Some people prefer more modest dress, no midriff showing etc, nothing wrong with personal preferences. Plus you know there is that moment in level 2 where I always think her left boob is about to pop out of her sportsbra. LOL.

OMG! That is Krazy with a capital K! haha!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Wait, what?

OMG! That is Krazy with a capital K! haha!

Totally serious - it starts looking like there's about to be a wardrobe malfunction and then the camera conveniently pans down to her legs. LOL
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I switched to exercising in cheap-o water shoes after I couldn't rid my life of shin splints. I even switched from running to elliptical and they followed me, then one day I was lazy and put on the water shoes. It was the first workout where I could feel the tension in my shins releasing and within 2 weeks I was 100% pain free. Plus, when they start smelling, I just soak them in some Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking soda and let them dry on my "off" day. Like barefoot, with a little protection.
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm liking it! I'm on Day 4 Level 2. I do believe I'll go back and do it all again, with even more effort the secod time around. I didn't take measurements, unfortunately. It's a great workout for just a few minutes out of your day. It's great to be able to get that in! Oh, and my kids sometimes do it with me. They are more interested in getting the moves down than checking out the wardrobe, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'm just happy they are being more active with me!