is 98 lbs too much for me?

Options
i'm 5'2, currently 104 lbs with a daily calorie intake of 1,200 and a goal weight of 98 lbs. i find it quite hard to keep my calories under 1,200 everyday so i know i've got to workout to make some room. and i find myself a little hungry at night which makes me worried that my body would go into starvation mode again. i used to be on a 700 calorie diet. it messed up my metabolism and made me gain back some of the weight i lost. now i'm trying my best to get back on track with an increase daily caloric goal.

i based my goal on wii fit plus, because according to it 98 lbs is still in the healthy bmi range. but almost everything else (and by that i mean the apps i've downloaded on my iphone and the ones i found on google) tells me it's in the underweight range.

should i change my goal weight to something above 100? and increase my daily caloric intake as well?

13815733.png

Replies

• stephanielindley422
    Options
    I think so...I am 5'2 and would look SICK at 98lbs. If you are at 104, stick with it. Your wii fit is wrong. :) Healthy for our height is 110-130, I believe
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    IMO, you need to mantain the weight you have now and work on toning/gaining muscle if you are not happy with the way your body looks
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    IMO, you need to mantain the weight you have now and work on toning/gaining muscle if you are not happy with the way your body looks
    This. The ideal weight for a female 5'2 is 100-120lbs, and I always think that they are on the low side lol. I really do not think you are going to be happy getting down to 98, if you want to look and feel more fit then I think you need to gain some muscle weight. If you say you are having a hard time staying under the 1200, then I would up the calories especially if you are going to try and gain muscle.
  • carolwisman
    Options
    A good base line for women is about, 100# for 5', then 5 # for each additional inch. So for you about 110 lbs., also take into consideration your build and if you carry more muscle. Remember a pound of lean tissue is smaller in size than a pound of fat. So you may weigh more on the scale, but still look great! Don't get to attached to a number on the scale.
  • sheystar
    Options

i have big legs and thighs and annoying face fat. and i've read somewhere spot exercising won't work so i want to lose overall body weight. and yeah, i think my wii fit is wrong. lol.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options

i have big legs and thighs and annoying face fat. and i've read somewhere spot exercising won't work so i want to lose overall body weight. and yeah, i think my wii fit is wrong. lol.

Is your face picture you? You don't have any face fat, hunny :)
    You can't do spot exercising for losing fat, but you can for toning, gaining strength. Look into weight lifting.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2, currently 104 lbs with a daily calorie intake of 1,200 and a goal weight of 98 lbs. i find it quite hard to keep my calories under 1,200 everyday so i know i've got to workout to make some room. and i find myself a little hungry at night which makes me worried that my body would go into starvation mode again. i used to be on a 700 calorie diet. it messed up my metabolism and made me gain back some of the weight i lost. now i'm trying my best to get back on track with an increase daily caloric goal.

i based my goal on wii fit plus, because according to it 98 lbs is still in the healthy bmi range. but almost everything else (and by that i mean the apps i've downloaded on my iphone and the ones i found on google) tells me it's in the underweight range.

should i change my goal weight to something above 100? and increase my daily caloric intake as well?

13815733.png

You're probably not happy with your 104 lb body because you lack muscle mass and probably are soft. To correct this, you'll need to eat a bit more and do some resistance training to improve body composition.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options

13815733.png

You're probably not happy with your 104 lb body because you lack muscle mass and probably are soft. To correct this, you'll need to eat a bit more and do some resistance training to improve body composition.

Exactly.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I agree that lack of muscle is most likely your problem. If you lift weights you won't look "skinny fat." It will give you some tone. 98 lbs is underweight for 5'2.
  • sheystar
    Options

13815733.png

why kind of resistance training would you suggest i'd do?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i would ignore the number and focus on the mirror and the way your body feels. f the scale.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    wow you are so tiny!! I can never get lower than 108 lbs...I'm almost 5'2''. I don't think my frame can handle getting much smaller than that unfortunately. :( even thought I try. I'm on a 1200 cal diet too. Either I don't stick to it well enough, or it doesn't make much of a difference for me.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

13815733.png

why kind of resistance training would you suggest i'd do?

Anything that involves lifting weights. Ditch the wii fit. Go to a gym. Have a consult with a trainer.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I am 4'11 and I am supposed to be 98-100. being a little taller you should maybe stick to 105-110
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

you do not have a fat face.... your face is very pretty. seriously try to look at weight loss as a way to be and feel healthier -- not about how you wish you would look. your body and your mind will appreciate it...and it will show.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 1/2" and I'm not even aiming for 98 lb.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the Wii fit as far as you can throw it, haha.
    If you have leg problems, strength train with exercises that target the area. If you target the muscle, it'll help burn fat.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i know there are diff body types an all but Im 5'3" and 110-125 is a good healthy-looking weight on me. My 14 yr old is 98 lbs and 5'5" and she is a toothpick and looks like a 14 yr old girl....please dont...