What to get? HMR? BodyMedia? BodyBugg? FitBit?

Options
2»

Replies

• gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit as I like to track daily activity. But I often forget to wear it or if I change pants or even change at the gym will forget to change it to whatever I'm wearing. It has also fallen off several times. One review I read before I bought it said "You will lose this thing". I always think about that when it falls off and laugh and think 'yup'.

I actually ordered a Nike Fuelband yesterday then had to cancel since it gets released on Feb 22 and I'll be on vacation then. I didn't want to have it delivered when we are not going to be here for awhile. I like that you just wear it all the time and it won't fall off. The drawback is that I don't think it will be very accurate for something like riding a bike/spinning where your arms aren't really moving even though you could be very active. But I think I will reorder it when we get back as I'd like to try it out. I don't ride a bike or spin as often as I forget to put on my Fitbit so it would still be an improvement!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love my body media. Easy to use and invaluable. Right on the money.
  • AggieHoss
    AggieHoss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Really like my BodyBugg. I have the version that syncs to your phone. I've found that I dont actually need to wear it everyday. The calories I burn are pretty consistent day in and day out. I wore it religiously for the first month or so, but now only 4-5 times a week. I really only wear it on workout days so I can track calories burned and then enter those workout calories into MFP. The food data base and application is not nearly as intuitive as MFP.

Not sure what I am going to do when my free 6mo trial ends in a few months. May get the Nike one if it proves to be decent and let my mom or dad have the BodyBugg to try out.
  • lbpfox
    lbpfox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done a little research on comparisons as I am interested in getting one too. Here is a site that I found that was pretty helpful.
    http://lose20pounds.info/fitbit-vs-bodymedia-vs-Bodybugg.html.
    Seems like the fitbit has more to offer. But, check it out yourself.
  • anelsen577
    anelsen577 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there one that you can just use for the calories burned and consummed and not need to buy a program that has to be sync'd up? I just want to see what I have burned to record in MFP.
  • shutterdreamer
    Options
    I just got a bodymedia fit, and I could not be happier. The $199 price point kept me from getting it for a while because I thought it would be another silly-diet-money-waster. I was so wrong, and I know if I had bought it 6 months ago I would already be in my skinny jeans :D

Knowing exactly how many calories you have burned is fantastic. Just clicking it on for me two days ago helped me lose three pounds. Seriously! For the last year I have been struggling to drop any weight, click this little sucker on and suddenly it is a game... and a game I am winning :D

The food tracker sucks, but the bodymedia (same company/same product as the bodybugg) is the best product in the world. I would buy it again and again and again!
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    Question - do any of these work while you're swimming? That is one of my major exercises right now and it would be nice to know that I am burning the calories MFP says I am.
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Question - do any of these work while you're swimming? That is one of my major exercises right now and it would be nice to know that I am burning the calories MFP says I am.

I own a Polar HRM and have used it for swimming no problems. I am borrowing a Bodyfit Media from a friend for the weekend and just am testing it out to see how it compares with my Polar HRM for calories burned. I've read from the manual for the Bodyfit Media that you can't really get it wet.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i love the bodymedia but without a display it sucks to have to go to a computer each time you want to see where youre at

with a display its dope
  • catshanle
    catshanle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit and absolutely love it. I wear it everyday and try to beat my record steps, stairs, activity level. This syncs with MFP . I like it so much that my hubby took an interest in it. He has now ordered him one. Maybe this will help him get motivated to change his current lifestyle.
  • briekag
    briekag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read the article that was listed on the first page and don't think that it is accurate. It read mostly like it was selling the fitbit. I am a bodymedia user and enjoy it. I wish that it synced with MFP. I often do not wear the band, but rather wear the device in my bra. The readings are fairly accurate. I have also read you can where it on your calf but I could never get it to work there. The article states that bodymedia and bodybugg only work when you plug up to the computer, not quite, there are versions that you can synch to your phone. I may eventually buy a fitbit for its simplicity. I worry that I would loose it (it can also be attached to your bra). The display seems very useful. I think bodymedia and bodybugg are more consistent because they measure sweat and temperature changes. Bodymedia really needs to work on their choices of food in the food log, most of what I eat is not listed at all, making it very difficult to use alone without MFP.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • brits111383
    Options
    I have really started focusing on strength training, so that is making me lean towards the BodyMedia Fit because it will supposedly adjust my calories as I become more muscular and it also has the sleep measurements that the BodyBugg doesn't. However, I've read an opinion (no back-up evidence) that the BodyBugg/BodyMedia Fit won't necessarily be able to tell from a tiny patch of skin how muscular a person is and adjust calories accordingly. In essence, both the FitBit and BodyMedia Fit/BodyBugg use the inputs provided on their web pages; the BMF/BodyBugg can't really tell that much more about calorie burn from sweat and skin temperature. If that's the case, it seems like the FitBit would be the better choice due to costs: it's not justifiable to pay the monthly fees if the accuracy isn't better.

What are people's opinions on body composition and whether or not that's taken into consideration for the pricier BMF/BodyBugg? Have any people bought the Bodyfit Media/BodyBugg and seen their calorie burn shift over time with a strength training program, or have the calories stayed the same throughout that time?

Also, I already have and use a Polar heart rate monitor for cycling, running, etc. I live in Houston, and (even as a lady who normally doesn't sweat that much) in the summer I sweat a LOT with outdoor activities. It seems like both are ill-equipped to deal with excessive sweat -- does anyone have an opinion about which does best with sweat? Should I just remove them during outdoor activities, anyway, since I'll be using a heart rate monitor?
  • agent300
    Options
    the bodymedia fit is by far the most accurate. i have been using a heart rate monitor for a year and when i compared the two, the heart rate monitor greatly over estimated calorie burn. I have been very diligent with my tracking for two weeks and the amount of weight I lost was almost perfect compared to what the bodymedia fit said i should lose. (i actually lost a little more) I was skeptical at first but i had read 100s of reviews on the bodymedia fit vs fitbit. the problem with the fitbit is it is not in tune with anyones bodies. you plug in the info and it tracks your steps and stairs.
  • mistress_kay
    mistress_kay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done a little research on comparisons as I am interested in getting one too. Here is a site that I found that was pretty helpful.
    http://lose20pounds.info/fitbit-vs-bodymedia-vs-Bodybugg.html.
    Seems like the fitbit has more to offer. But, check it out yourself.

In case anyone else is reading this (I'm looking into getting a BodyMedia device!), this post is helpful, but take it with a grain of salt. All of the links in the post are affiliate links to purchase a FitBit, so the writer gets money off of your FitBit purchase, so they aren't really unbiased in the post. But still good info!
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I am planning on getting the bodymedia LINK very soon...

I looked into this very thing as the bodymedia is not submergible.

One site I found recommended the Garmin 310xt with HR Monitor which is fully submergible. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and will upgrade to the Garmin 310xt when I am ready to incorporate swimming more into my training routine. I hope to someday get into Triathlons (short distance onces)
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have two family members who both used the bodymedia and had great success with improving their fitness and losing weight. It is because of them that I am planning on getting one. :glasses: