I HATE BALSAMIC VINEGAR!

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One time someone on MFP mentioned mixing ranch dressing mix with low or no fat greek yogurt. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a really good idea....
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Plain old lime juice and a little salt and pepper are really good on a salad. You could also try to mix in different herbs for some extra tasty salad. :smile:

FAVE!!!!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can buy light or fat free ranch...You can make your own using the Ranch Dressing dry ingredients packets mixed with light sour cream & some water [or skim milk if needed]. Or there are a ton of difference dressings you can make...just look online for em. You aren't being forced to have Balsamic Vinegar dressings [I also hate them!] Just find a better alternative to it! Or allow room for the calories, fat, & sodium real ranch has in your daily intake :)
  • MeandmySweetpea
    MeandmySweetpea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't like balsamic either, but I love red wine vinegar mixed with oil, black pepper and garlic salt.

Ranch actually is one of the better dressings from what I've read. Just don't do the low fat, low cal, etc because they make up for it with sugar. Best to just eat the real thing within reason!

My personal feeling is that you are making a lifestyle change- you are not here to give up everything you love or else you won't stick to it. If you really love ranch, then use it... in moderation! Try putting the dressing on the side of your plate and dip the fork, then pick up the salad, or top your salad with a reasonable amount and then shake it in a container to coat all of the salad... this way you can use a lot less with getting just as much of the taste.
  • Kleeper2000
    Options
    I found a dressing that I like that is sour cream based... Just use a light sour cream, some salsa, a little lime juice, cumin. It's really good. Might be worth trying. I can't remember where I found the recipe or what the exact measurements are, but you can play around with it a bit. Pretty easy to make.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I found a dressing that I like that is sour cream based... Just use a light sour cream, some salsa, a little lime juice, cumin. It's really good. Might be worth trying. I can't remember where I found the recipe or what the exact measurements are, but you can play around with it a bit. Pretty easy to make.
    That sounds fantastic!
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I personally only like Italian. That said, I got used to eating my salad plain with a little bit of mandarin oranges or strawberries on top. If I eat spinach, I go for the strawberries. If I eat romaine, I go for the mandarin oranges. Walmart has them in a small cup and I dump out the liquid and cut up the segments into little pieces and stir it all up. You can also toss in some almonds and a little red onion if you like that.

But I've gotten lazy and eat totally naked. It's fine for me like that.
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    this is seriously making me want to make a balsalmic reduction and drizzle it over onion strings topped on grilled chicken and mash potatoes! oh its pure heaven *if* you like that kind of food!:wink:
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not all balsamic vinegars are the same.

I wholeheartedly agree! I've had some 40 year aged balsamics that I could literally drink with a straw because they were so delicious. However, if you're looking for a ranch-type dressing, I would mix one up using greek yogurt or silken tofu as the base, and add the herbs and spices you like. Mix in a food processor or blender, and thin down with water to your preferred consistency.

Here's a recipe from allrecipes with my suggestions in parentheses:
    1 cup mayonnaise (I would use silken tofu)
    1/2 cup sour cream (either more silken tofu or you could use light sour cream, or plain yogurt, or greek yogurt)
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I might add a little more)
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder (I might add a little more)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

I've posted several other recipes on another thread all about salad dressing recipes.
  • Mogo2012
    Options
    thanks all! wonderful suggestions! :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    this is seriously making me want to make a balsalmic reduction and drizzle it over onion strings topped on grilled chicken and mash potatoes! oh its pure heaven *if* you like that kind of food!:wink:

balsamic reduction enhanced with caramelized onions, drizzled over steak tips.................let the waterworks begin!
  • lucy1945
    Options

balsamic reduction enhanced with caramelized onions, drizzled over steak tips.................let the waterworks begin!
    Oh Heavens ta' Betsy!!!! I'm trying that one Cramer! :love:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I LOVE balsamic vinegar. We bought some 40 year old vinegar when we were Italy. It is pure heaven.

Has any one tried Walden Farms dressing? It has zero calories. I bought some today on a friends recommendation. I hear it is very good.
  • pineapl
    pineapl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE BALSAMIC VINEGAR!! I put it (and hot sauce) on just about everything I eat. I just love it!! But...Bolthouse Farms has good "creamy" dressings. I highly recommend those if you're not big on vinegar-y stuff. :smile:
  • whatamess00
    whatamess00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Googling Low fat, Low calorie dressing recipes. Try some out and see what works for you.
  • mrichternh
    mrichternh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Vinegarette

Light Ranch if you have to
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    hidden valley light buttermilk ranch : 2 tablespoons, 70 cals.

wishbone light ranch : same.

there are fat free variations as well, but they generally aren't great.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    dont eat anything you hate that much because then making these lifetime changes doesnt seem so fun after all.. two years ago i gave up salad dressing and do not eat it any longer. advice i give to folks that say they cant live without it ..dont pour it on the salad. measure it and put it in a little bowl and dip your salad in it ..try to eat some of your salad without it . i have come to rather enjoy eating raw spring greens and baby spinach leaves
  • lucy1945
    Options
    dont eat anything you hate that much because then making these lifetime changes doesnt seem so fun after all.. two years ago i gave up salad dressing and do not eat it any longer. advice i give to folks that say they cant live without it ..dont pour it on the salad. measure it and put it in a little bowl and dip your salad in it ..try to eat some of your salad without it . i have come to rather enjoy eating raw spring greens and baby spinach leaves

I totally agree! i tried to eat brussle sprouts and tried to convince myself i liked them, but in the end, i gave the rest of them to my brussel sprout eating friend! LOL. i will pass next time. there are plenty of veggies that i do love , so why bother with that grossness!?! lol
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like low fat sesame ginger dressing. I buy Paul Newman's brand, but I'm pretty sure there are several different brands that have versions of it.

I think there are 35 calories in 2 tbs.