NYC walking

Options
I have a question...I live in Manhattan and walk everywhere, I don't drive to the grocery store, or pharmacy or anywhere really, I walk. So here's my question...if I run errands for 10, 15, 20, 30, 45mins an hour etc...should I log it? I mean...I am "walking", at a leisurly pace(which they have an option for), or should I only log my "workouts"

I was also wondering, I live in a 4 story building with an elevator, but I gave up elevators and escalators for Lent. Should I log if I go up and down my stairs only once or twice a day? Any advise is welcomed...

xxoo

Replies

• codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I have a question...I live in Manhattan and walk everywhere, I don't drive to the grocery store, or pharmacy or anywhere really, I walk. So here's my question...if I run errands for 10, 15, 20, 30, 45mins an hour etc...should I log it? I mean...I am "walking", at a leisurly pace(which they have an option for), or should I only log my "workouts"

I was also wondering, I live in a 4 story building with an elevator, but I gave up elevators and escalators for Lent. Should I log if I go up and down my stairs only once or twice a day? Any advise is welcomed...

xxoo
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm also a city-dweller, and I don't log most of this. I figure it's daily activity, and my body's adapted to it. Now, if I walk for exercise, that's a different story.

It's a trap, IMHO to nickel and dime your activity into exercise. (I used to do it.) I now think of any of that stuff as wiggle room for when I underestimate the amount of calories.
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I always ask myself these questions. I work in a fairly large office and opt to walk to other people's desks rather than calling them on the phone. I'm really not sure if that is considered part of your "lifestyle" (sedentary, light activity, etc...) or if I should log it as extra activity. I'd also appreciate any input on this.
  • mackenzie_b
    Options
    im an nyc dweller too - i work out with a heart rate monitor and wore it one day when i walked my dog from my boyfriends apt in the w village to my apartment on the upper west side (about 3 - 3 1/2 miles).

i walked at a fairly brisk pace and tried to keep my body moving even at stop lights, and it took me almost an hour fifteen.

total calories burned - 400, and my average heart rate over that time period was low end (mid 120s).

so if you break that down to say, you took a 15 minute walk you're def not burning enough calories to log as exercise, especially considering you're likely keeping a relatively low heart rate (spikes for walking up stairs, in / out subway, etc) - its definitely better to rate your activity level as active.

and, most fitness experts think its not exercise until you hit 20 minutes at mid-range exertion, or 45 minutes at low-range.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    what is your daily activity level? (sedentary? lightly active?) that would make a difference to me about whether I would log those things. If you are set at sedentary then I would, if lightly active then I wouldn't.