overeating

Options
I have discovered that I over eat when I'm tired, which is often. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to avoid or change this habit? Obviously, going to sleep works but its not always an option. Sometimes chewing gum helps but I need more suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• jndavi
    jndavi Posts: 3
    Options
    I do the same thing!
    I remember reading this in an article before... I think in a health magazine. Basically, when you don't get enough sleep, your body doesn't have enough energy. To overcompensate and help keep you from passing out, your appetite will increase and your metabolism will slow down. This is why it's common to hear that getting 8 hours of sleep every night is essential to losing weight.
    One piece of advice is to eat a small portion of healthy carbs-maybe a piece of whole wheat toast and some fresh fruit.
    Personally, I work at a coffee shop and during the early morning shifts I avoid it with a cup of black coffee or some tea. The caffeine will help wake you up, keep your metabolism from shutting down, and can help decrease your appetite. It is a diuretic (meaning you'll urinate more frequently) so make sure you drink extra water. Also, you don't want to drink too much caffeine too often or anything too sugary. Gum helps too.
  • nickyyoshi
    nickyyoshi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help! It is really appreciated.