Question on 30 day Shred DVD

Options
I have been trying to decide which video to buy. I saw the 30 day shred and now another 30 day shed and shred extreme. I am just starting out so not sure if the extreme is for a higher level?

Also with the 30 day shred do you need weights??

Thanks for any input

Nan

Replies

• kjones3535
    Options
    I am not really sure that one video is harder then the other, just that the Shred came out first then Shed and Shred. All you need is some hand weights for her videos, which is nice. They are both great work-outs for sure.

Good luck!
  • QuiteNice
    QuiteNice Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner when it comes to exercise videos. I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday. Love it! Totally sore but it will be worth it! Good luck!
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info I actually found her videos for 5.99 at BJ's Wholesale Club....what a bargin

Hope to start this weekend
  • Mi2sc
    Mi2sc Posts: 29
    Options
    I am starting my 30 day today :) Love your picture, they are my favorite!
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on day 10 of the 30 day shread. I also bought the 30 day shead and shread or whatever its called. I did part 1 of the extream shed and shread it was OK I managed most of it, but I joined a group on here doing the 30day shread so once I am done with that I will go back to ES&S :-)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I did the full 30 days of 30 Day Shred, then went out and bought several other Jillian dvds to try out. Extreme Shed and Shred is much harder - some of the moves are like an evolution of what you learn in 30 Day Shred. ESAS is not for beginners IMO, I can do 30DS just fine now but ESAS kicks my butt. Start with the 30 Day Shred, the moves are more basic to help you build up some strength. You do need weights with both of those dvds, start with small ones if you are a beginner but don't be afraid to bump them up if you start to feel exercises getting easier.

Just in case you're looking at any other Jillian dvds:

Ripped in 30 - I haven't actually done this one yet, waiting for my DH to finish 30DS so we can go through it together, but lots of people feel like it's a really good one to move onto right after finishing 30DS - I know it uses weights but don't know much else about it other than there are 4 levels instead of 3, you do each for 6 days and take a day for rest.

Yoga Meltdown - no weights needed, just a yoga mat - challenging but doable - has 2 levels, no set schedule just says do level 1 until you're good enough at it that you feel ready for level 2 - I'm not ready for level 2 yet LOL

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism - no weights, mainly cardio with some kickboxing and abs thrown in, just 1 workout, no levels (although you can choose individual circuits if you don't want to do the whole thing) - 50 minutes total, pretty challenging but totally doable if you've built up a little endurance

No More Trouble Zones - focuses on weights and resistance, more difficult than 30DS, just 1 workout, no levels (although you can choose individual circuits if you don't want to do the whole thing, just like in BFBM) - 50 minutes total, kicks your butt in new and interesting ways (lots of focusing on problem areas as suggested by the title - back of the arms, abs, etc)

Extreme Shed and Shred - not for beginners but probably awesome for someone that finds the 30DS too easy or boring. Needs weights, also incorporates cardio and abs similar to 30DS but more challenging

Kickboxing - not out yet but will be arriving in March. :-)
  • kdh052111
    kdh052111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you track 30 day shred as exercise? I don't see a listing.
    Thanks
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did the full 30 days of 30 Day Shred, then went out and bought several other Jillian dvds to try out. Extreme Shed and Shred is much harder - some of the moves are like an evolution of what you learn in 30 Day Shred. ESAS is not for beginners IMO, I can do 30DS just fine now but ESAS kicks my butt. Start with the 30 Day Shred, the moves are more basic to help you build up some strength. You do need weights with both of those dvds, start with small ones if you are a beginner but don't be afraid to bump them up if you start to feel exercises getting easier.

Ripped in 30 - I haven't actually done this one yet, waiting for my DH to finish 30DS so we can go through it together, but lots of people feel like it's a really good one to move onto right after finishing 30DS - I know it uses weights but don't know much else about it other than there are 4 levels instead of 3, you do each for 6 days and take a day for rest.

Yoga Meltdown - no weights needed, just a yoga mat - challenging but doable - has 2 levels, no set schedule just says do level 1 until you're good enough at it that you feel ready for level 2 - I'm not ready for level 2 yet LOL

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism - no weights, mainly cardio with some kickboxing and abs thrown in, just 1 workout, no levels (although you can choose individual circuits if you don't want to do the whole thing) - 50 minutes total, pretty challenging but totally doable if you've built up a little endurance

No More Trouble Zones - focuses on weights and resistance, more difficult than 30DS, just 1 workout, no levels (although you can choose individual circuits if you don't want to do the whole thing, just like in BFBM) - 50 minutes total, kicks your butt in new and interesting ways (lots of focusing on problem areas as suggested by the title - back of the arms, abs, etc)

Extreme Shed and Shred - not for beginners but probably awesome for someone that finds the 30DS too easy or boring. Needs weights, also incorporates cardio and abs similar to 30DS but more challenging

I start 30DS today and this was very enlightening... Thanks for the details! Quick question... for the 30DS, do you do it every single day for 30 days or do you take off one day per week? I'd be interested in your suggestion since I didn't find it myself. :o) Thanks so much!!!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I would love to know the same thing!!!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The 30 DS was one of the best things to ever happen to me! It was so great. You don't need weights to start off with; I was fairly weak so found that just by closing my fists and tensing my muscles, I was able to get away with that. I did end up using some small aerobic weights - they're about a kilo each. You can use anything though; a half full water bottle or cans.

I would track the 30DS in parts. Part of it's calisthenics and the other half would be fairly intense (high heart rate maintained) cardio. Overall it's 20 minutes, and I believe in general terms it burns about 250 cals (level one). This is based on 1 star jump = 0.5 cals burnt, and every minute of running on the spot = 10 cals burnt, and most exercises are of that ilk, so you end up with 200-250 cals gone. This doesn't sound like a lot, when compared to machine work, but strength training is a huge part of it, and that typically doesn't burn the most numbers; but will definitely help when looking for physical differences in yourself.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks

If you don't have a heart rate monitor to track calories, most people log it as 20 minutes of 'circuit training, general' in the database. IME it gives a pretty close estimation compared to what I get on my HRM

I start 30DS today and this was very enlightening... Thanks for the details! Quick question... for the 30DS, do you do it every single day for 30 days or do you take off one day per week? I'd be interested in your suggestion since I didn't find it myself. :o) Thanks so much!!!

Some people do it every single day, others do it ever other day (taking 60 days to do the 30 workouts), some people do it as often as they can but take a break if they feel they need it. It took me 37 days to complete the 30 workouts b/c I had to take rest days here and there. I just took a rest day if I felt my body really needed it. And I had pretty awesome results (2" off my belly and 2" off my butt, plus inches off every other area of my body - but those were the big ones :-) ).