Is eating breakfast a must?

Options

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    actually thats not true..not about breakfast..who cares if you skip breakfast, but yes body can tell time..for instance the body during the early morning hours goes through a phenomenon known as "twilight" where bloodsugars start to raise and insulin has a tendency to increase to make up for that difference..just wanted to correct you sunkisses :).

Time is a human construct, as is breakfast. Your body can recognize things that occur in nature. Who's next? *flexing*
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry in the morning then don't eat. It's not going to hinder your weight lose. Calories in Vs. Calories out. Eat when you want as long as your within your calories you'll lose the weight.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No. You don't have to eat breakfast. Your body isn't stupid. If you aren't hungry, and it messes with the rest of your day, that would be a good clue to skip it. There are lots and lots of people who will give you a different opinion, but I've seen WAY too many people lose weight, AND be fit without every eating breakfast.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat in the morning until I started exercising. I find by having a calorie deficit day after day and doing vigorous exercise each day after work, I'm actually hungry when I wake up.

But, I have a rule not to eat if I'm not hungry (easier to follow some days than others). But, if I have a big meal for dinner and am not hungry in the morning, I don't worry about it. I just toss an apply and a jar of PB in with my normal lunch and eat that when I DO feel hungry.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    I like to sleep in, so on my days off I skip breakfast. But if I have to work in the morning, I NEVER leave the house without breakfast - or else I feel like a weak piece of crap all day long, no matter what! I always think that you should at least have a shake or a V8 in the morning, but what's important is that you do what works for yourself!
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    not true..we have a circadian clock, which has evolved from the pineal gland..it what lets us tell time consciously but it also keep our non conscious activities in sync as well
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    not true..we have a circadian clock, which has evolved from the pineal gland..it what lets us tell time consciously but it also keep our non conscious activities in sync as well

Thanks for proving my point. Let's go back to talking about soup and dumping friends now.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is definitely NOT a must. I used to work 1-7 and would sleep until noon and then eat lunch at two, have a snack around five and then dinner at seven with a snack later on. I had this work schedule for six months and lost 12lbs because of it. It was awesome.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes! The word breakfast literally mean "breaking fast". when you go to sleep, your body goes into a state of fast, if you dont eat shortly after waking to break that fast, you'll stay in a fast, which means storing...and your body doesn't store muscle when you fast, its stores fat. but don't worry if you're not a morning eater, you dont have to have a massive meal...a piece of toast with peanut butter...or just plain toast...is enough to do the job...and if you keep doing that, believe me you'll get to the point where breakfast will be easy and enjoyable.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    and some people may say it isn't...but some people may not have a slow metabolism...lucky them
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You can't kickstart your metabolism with breakfast anyway. So eat when you feel like it. Your body can't tell time.

^ THIS

Yup, that!
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I am the complete opposite! No breakfast in the morning=no energy throughout the day. Dinner on the other hand, I *can* go without.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast but I don't do it to 'kick start my metabolism' or anything like that.

It just keeps me from being hungry until lunch time.
  • rogerchappell
    Options
    No. You don't have to eat breakfast. Your body isn't stupid. If you aren't hungry, and it messes with the rest of your day, that would be a good clue to skip it. There are lots and lots of people who will give you a different opinion, but I've seen WAY too many people lose weight, AND be fit without every eating breakfast.

Yep, And I'm one of them. From 105KG down to 87 just by reducing the amout of food I eat. I Never have breakfast.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    It all comes down to one thing; Are you a morning person or a night person?
    If you're a morning person, then eat breakfast. If you're not, then wait until you feel hungry.

Can your body tell time?
    Not technically. Your body has it's own clock. This clock is set based on how you live your life. When you wake up, sleep, when you eat and what you eat, daily activity among other lifestyle aspects. So, if you're the type to stay up late, odds are your body doesn't realize it's morning and has already adjusted to your lifestyle. It can of course change as you change your lifestyle as it has for many people on this site. However, you don't have to force yourself to do so, unless you feel you want that as a part of your lifestyle.

Regarding sunlight, this reasoning only applies to those who live in the parts of the world which actually get enough of it. Most states and provinces don't; so that doesn't apply to most people.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Geez! EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT! What works for some will not work for everyone so if not eating breakfast works for you, then don't eat breakfast. If it does, then go for it. Don't listen to everybody else, because as you can see they all think differently. Just listen to your body.
  • rogerchappell
    Options
    You know, everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. you need to find what suits you best, there are no rules.

However, eating lots of little meals every couple of hours is a good way to PREVENT weight loss.

The advice to eat five or 6 small meals a day or to snack between meals to maintain a steady blood sugar level and keep metabolism "stoked with food" is among the worst advice possible. It boggles the mind that a majority of doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, and fitness instructors promote this absurd approach to energy management. It is as if someone started a bad rumour and everyone accepted it as a truth.

If a person does lose weight eating this way, it is usually because he or she is eating fewer calories in total than before. This may "work" for a few weeks, until leptin levels readjust to the new level of calorie intake and slow down metabolism. However, this eating strategy inhibits normal fat burning by interfering with the proper function of leptin and insulin.

These are the simple facts that will never change: Eating food, raises insulin. Insulin promotes storage of calories and prevents the burning of stored fat for fuel.

How to Burn Fat
    Three to four hours after a meal, blood sugar levels naturally begin to drop because insulin has done its job of transporting calories about the body. Now it is time to use stored calories. The drop in insulin signals the pancreas to produce another hormone, called glucagon. Glucagon's job is to maintain the blood sugar level in the absence of food coming in from the diet. This is normal.

Glucagon goes over to the liver and knocks on the liver's door. It says, "You stored sixty percent of the calories following the last meal. I need some of those to maintain blood sugar levels." Glucagon is the manager, the liver obeys orders. The liver now converts stored sugar (glycogen) back into blood glucose to maintain blood sugar levels.

Yes, the body is getting a "snack." But Instead of the snack coming from food, it comes from sugar stored in the liver. This is liver fitness and normal function. Between meals, about sixty percent of fuel will now be sugar coming from the liver. In the flame of burning sugar, and under the influence of glucagon, the liver will now burn forty percent fatty acids. Triglycerides are now broken down to be used as fuel. This starts happening three to four hours after a meal and continues until the next meal is eaten. This is a fat-burning time.

The longer a person is in this fat-burning mode, the greater the amount of fat he or she will burn -- as long as energy level is maintained. A healthy person who has not eaten for four to five hours prior to bed will burn sixty percent fatty acids and forty percent sugar the last three to four hours of sleep, a prime fat burning time. If a person eats before bed it shuts off this prime fat-burning time during sleep.

If a person eats a snack it raises insulin and shuts off fat burning. Even worse, the liver never uses any of its stored sugar. Because this sugar was never used, calories eaten at the snack now can't go into the liver as part of the normal storage function of insulin. Instead, the calories are headed in the direction of fat formation, even if the snack contained no fat grams.

Snacking flips on the insulin switch at the wrong time, which causes the consumed calories to head for fat storage. This is true even if a snack contains only fifty to a hundred calories. Anything that was a fatty acid headed for energy production is now repackaged as a triglyceride and stored: fat burning stops. This is why snacking and eating five to six meals a day is such a bad idea. Those perpetuating this way of eating as a means to stabilise blood sugar are actually fuelling insulin resistance and leptin resistance. In reality, this significantly contributes to the societal epidemics of obesity and diabetes, inducing metabolism to function in a crippled manner. Snacking or eating too often confuses leptin, and sooner or later this catches up with an individual.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If coffee is considered breakfast, then yes.
  • rogerchappell
    Options
    Hah, yeah All I have is a coffee :)
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    You know, everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. you need to find what suits you best, there are no rules.

However, eating lots of little meals every couple of hours is a good way to PREVENT weight loss.

The advice to eat five or 6 small meals a day or to snack between meals to maintain a steady blood sugar level and keep metabolism "stoked with food" is among the worst advice possible. It boggles the mind that a majority of doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, and fitness instructors promote this absurd approach to energy management. It is as if someone started a bad rumour and everyone accepted it as a truth.

If a person does lose weight eating this way, it is usually because he or she is eating fewer calories in total than before. This may "work" for a few weeks, until leptin levels readjust to the new level of calorie intake and slow down metabolism. However, this eating strategy inhibits normal fat burning by interfering with the proper function of leptin and insulin.

These are the simple facts that will never change: Eating food, raises insulin. Insulin promotes storage of calories and prevents the burning of stored fat for fuel.

How to Burn Fat
    Three to four hours after a meal, blood sugar levels naturally begin to drop because insulin has done its job of transporting calories about the body. Now it is time to use stored calories. The drop in insulin signals the pancreas to produce another hormone, called glucagon. Glucagon's job is to maintain the blood sugar level in the absence of food coming in from the diet. This is normal.

Glucagon goes over to the liver and knocks on the liver's door. It says, "You stored sixty percent of the calories following the last meal. I need some of those to maintain blood sugar levels." Glucagon is the manager, the liver obeys orders. The liver now converts stored sugar (glycogen) back into blood glucose to maintain blood sugar levels.

Yes, the body is getting a "snack." But Instead of the snack coming from food, it comes from sugar stored in the liver. This is liver fitness and normal function. Between meals, about sixty percent of fuel will now be sugar coming from the liver. In the flame of burning sugar, and under the influence of glucagon, the liver will now burn forty percent fatty acids. Triglycerides are now broken down to be used as fuel. This starts happening three to four hours after a meal and continues until the next meal is eaten. This is a fat-burning time.

The longer a person is in this fat-burning mode, the greater the amount of fat he or she will burn -- as long as energy level is maintained. A healthy person who has not eaten for four to five hours prior to bed will burn sixty percent fatty acids and forty percent sugar the last three to four hours of sleep, a prime fat burning time. If a person eats before bed it shuts off this prime fat-burning time during sleep.

If a person eats a snack it raises insulin and shuts off fat burning. Even worse, the liver never uses any of its stored sugar. Because this sugar was never used, calories eaten at the snack now can't go into the liver as part of the normal storage function of insulin. Instead, the calories are headed in the direction of fat formation, even if the snack contained no fat grams.

Snacking flips on the insulin switch at the wrong time, which causes the consumed calories to head for fat storage. This is true even if a snack contains only fifty to a hundred calories. Anything that was a fatty acid headed for energy production is now repackaged as a triglyceride and stored: fat burning stops. This is why snacking and eating five to six meals a day is such a bad idea. Those perpetuating this way of eating as a means to stabilise blood sugar are actually fuelling insulin resistance and leptin resistance. In reality, this significantly contributes to the societal epidemics of obesity and diabetes, inducing metabolism to function in a crippled manner. Snacking or eating too often confuses leptin, and sooner or later this catches up with an individual.
    Hell yeah, pick up an A&P book!