kind of embarrassing...

Options
meatball
meatball Posts: 46 Member
Well,
Since I have been dieting and woking out hard for 6 weeks and I have been feeling much better. I don't feel so sluggish. However, I have been having a problem getting "moving." I eat veggies and get reasonable amounts of fiber, but my reduced food intake has, in my opinion, limited my ability to push used food through the old system.

It is sometimes 3 days before I have a BM and then there is not much in the way of relief/volume. Is it possible that this is just the way its gonna be? Are my innards so used to huge food volumes that they will never get into the swing of things? By the way, it has been like 6 weeks of this.

Sorry for the kind of gross topic, and maybe this isn't where it belongs. I just figured that it might go here since it directly relates to food, at least at the beginning.

Replies

• meatball
    Options
    Well,
    Since I have been dieting and woking out hard for 6 weeks and I have been feeling much better. I don't feel so sluggish. However, I have been having a problem getting "moving." I eat veggies and get reasonable amounts of fiber, but my reduced food intake has, in my opinion, limited my ability to push used food through the old system.

It is sometimes 3 days before I have a BM and then there is not much in the way of relief/volume. Is it possible that this is just the way its gonna be? Are my innards so used to huge food volumes that they will never get into the swing of things? By the way, it has been like 6 weeks of this.

Sorry for the kind of gross topic, and maybe this isn't where it belongs. I just figured that it might go here since it directly relates to food, at least at the beginning.
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

Sometimes when our bodies go through huge changes they get confused but if you are eating plenty of fiber you would also want to make sure you are also drinking plenty of fluids too.

Hope that you feel better soon and don't worry, it's ok to ask that sort of thing here on MFP, I've seen many people ask and besides that how else will one learn what they might do to change things. No better place than where other people have gone through many of the same things.:wink::happy:
  • meatball
    Options
    I drink **at least** 4 liters per day. I am getting rid of that, if you know what i mean.
  • kstinson
    kstinson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have heard that ground flaxseed is helpful in that department:smile:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Your body might be just adjusting to your new diet...
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I started my new health journey is January and honestly it took about nine weeks before my body figured it all out. I drink a lot of water, eat fruit and exercise. The exercise is very important for me, but now that things are more regular life is good again.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Some of us aren't as regular as others. For as much fiber as I eat and water I drink you'd think I'd be regular. And I am once or twice a week:laugh: My friends think it's weird. But I don't feel bad so I don't worry about it anymore.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I also just read the response about ground flaxseed and maybe that is what it is for me. I put on my oatmeal every morning.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    This has been discussed here before. A lot of people have this. It 's probabaly your body adjusting to food changes. Try prunes.:ohwell:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    this usually had too do with too much protein(especially cheese!), try to increase your fiber, vegetables and fruit, I also take fiber tablets every night. I take Yerba Prima daily fiber caps and I get them from my health food store!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Well,

you probably increased your fiber too much too fast- if you weren't eating enough fiber before and then jump into taking in alot it has a reverse effect which is constipation- drink some water and slowly increase your fiber content-- to 25-30 grams a day--

Water doesn't solve everything (trust me I suffer with this issue) But do drink your water an average person should drink 64oz if overweight you need a little more if you are working out hard and sweating alot you need to replenish what you lose as well

- But if its becoming unbearable Miralax which is over the counter will help you it isn't fast relief but it does work- My doctor reccomended it to me (I truely suffer from this issue and it effects my scale too talk about frustration)- Laxatives are a bit harsh but if you need instant relief you could use one of those
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Do yourself a favor, and if you do have the urge to go, don't wait. Many times, especially when your fiber has increased, you may get the 'urge' at an inopportune time, and hold it, which means you shut off the urge and hold the stool, which causes it to continue to dry out, and makes it hard to go.

Also, if you have cut back on your fat intake, you are less 'greased up' inside, and it will be harder to pass.

You can help the issue along by drinking a large glass of hot tap water as fast as you can at the time of day your normally have a bowel movement. This stimulates peristalsis- which is the squeezing action of the entire intestinal tract- and can sometimes get things going the right direction.

The other posts were correct in recommending flax seed- good fiber and healthy fat to help this issue. Also, the Miralax is great stuff- mix it in prune juice or apple juice, as the sugar in these also helps pull fluids into the intestinal tract. Miralax is a combo fiber and non-digestible sugar and it works wonders. Fiber pills are not the way to go at this time- it will just add to the bulk of your problem. Also- laxatives may stimulate you to go once or twice, but they are habit forming, and lose effectiveness quickly.

If you want to try a 'natural' laxative, try eating a lot of pickled jalepeno peppers at one sitting. The peppers have fiber and capsaicin, both of which stimulate the intestinal tract as well. (And be warned with this one- you will 'feel' if it is working!:noway:

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting