Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• greybeh
    greybeh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I should get some Better N' Peanut butter. That stuff was amazing... I didn't think to put it in Oatmeal. Yummy!
  • bethberg12
    bethberg12 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    King Arthur Flour makes this amazing Boiled Apple Cider that's like a really tart and tangy syrup. I use it for baking and also add a drizzle to my oatmeal, along with cinnamon and walnuts. It's so good!
    You can google to find it on their website.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder, PB and Bananas = oatmeal of champions
  • Nan500
    Nan500 Posts: 5
    Options
    I use a generous amount of cinammon, plus a small amount of dried fruit (raisins, dates, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.), or fresh/frozen blueberries or mixed berries. I also use Splenda. I've come to love it for breakfast!
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    I normally add 1-2 tsp of sugar and cinnamon but we're out right now so I've been adding cocoa powder (1/2 tsp) and it tastes really good.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I make mine with:
    1/2 cup of plain oatmeal, 1/4 cup water (or more) 1/8 cup raisins 1 small apple, a tablespoon of calorie free sugar, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and sprinkle of cinnamon, its super good!
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use the instant Quaker Oats Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar kind. It's very tasty and filling. I microwave it at work for my morning break and my coworkers think it smells like pancakes.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i usually just put banana.. sometimes i use apple, nuts (usually almond or cashew), sometimes if i remember i put some flaxseed! keeping it simple.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Carrot Cake: plain oats, shredded carrots, raisins, cinnamon
    Plain oats, strawberries & little vanilla extract or vanilla protein powder
    I used to eat oats daily and got desperate for new ways to eat it. I've made it savory with salt, pepper and cheese before and it was pretty good. I tried cooking it with an egg but did not care for it.

Always add a dash of salt to plain oats, even if you make it sweet. I normally mix in a tablespoon of ground flax as well.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amandadrsg
    amandadrsg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar with 1/2c. Horizon Organic 1% milk and cubed Apple (any variety).
  • ntm76
    ntm76 Posts: 25
    Options
    Since you say you are up at 5 am a hint for oatmeal is to make a big pot of it at night and when cool enough put in the fridge. When you wake up all you have to do is scoop out a portion and microwave it to eat.

A lot of good toppings were mentioned. I use agave to sweeten it up a bit and always pour milk over it like cereal. My favorites to eat are:

cinnamon, agave, apples, pecans
    blueberries and nuts
    a Tablespoon of pumpkin puree, dried cranberries or cherries, and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    bananas, walnuts and cinnamon
    Mango and nuts

Really the toppings are endless. I ordered some whey protein and when it arrives I plan on adding that to the oatmeal as well. Quinoa can be used in place of oatmeal if you want a change.
  • cannmac
    cannmac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you can cut up some fruit, add some flax seed or sprinkle cinnamon on it. Cinnamon helps with cholesterol too.:happy:
  • Damnesia
    Options
    Now that I'm reading these, I wonder if a teaspoon of Nutella would be good in my Cinnamon Roll oatmeal.....

Nutella is good in everything! I usually have raisins & a teaspoon of Nutella in my oatmeal.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, protein powder, cocoa + Splenda
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I like to put canned peaches in juice in mine with a bit of 1% milk. I use some of the juice in place of the water to make the oatmeal.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning. Old fashioned rolled oats cooked with almond milk. I generally add a cup of a frozen triple berry blend. No sugar because the almond milk is slightly sweet. That's my favorite. Sometimes I'll add pureed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Walnuts and a bit of maple syrup just for the flavor (making it with an unsweetened nondairy milk). Fresh bananas. Fresh chopped peaches or pears. Sometimes a grated apple and cinnamon or allspice.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal; it's pretty much breakfast every day. I usually add:

almond milk
    honey
    teaspoon of coconut oil
    unsweetened shredded coconut
    nutella (1 tsp, not tbsp).
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning. Old fashioned rolled oats cooked with almond milk. I generally add a cup of a frozen triple berry blend. No sugar because the almond milk is slightly sweet. That's my favorite. Sometimes I'll add pureed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Walnuts and a bit of maple syrup just for the flavor (making it with an unsweetened nondairy milk). Fresh bananas. Fresh chopped peaches or pears. Sometimes a grated apple and cinnamon or allspice.

I haven't tried putting almond milk in it but I might try that next time so that I don't need to put sugar in it. I normally just put brown sugar and cinnamon in mine!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and chilli