Edamame: A healthy option?

Options
2»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of soy, but it did nasty things to my health. Of course, different people have different reactions to soy, so I would never make a blanket statement about it. If you search the web for 'Toxic Soy' you'll find lots of information - some of it anecdotal, some of it published in serious medical journals - about the possible dangers of soy (especially unfermented soy).

Personally, I stay away from endamame, soy milk, tofu, etc. But, that's just me.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of every product related to Soy.. that they can lead into hormonal imbalance :huh:
    I stopped eating Soy products 2 years back but have started in moderation again after joining MFP .. but dont know really how much is too much for me

This is the recommendation from the Harvard School of Public Health.
    Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

But not if you have any kind of thyroid issues. And I think there may be other health issues, where soy is contraindicated, but I've just researched thyroid, as it applies to me.

As with any general recommendation, this would apply for healthy adults. If you have any disease, syndrome or other health issue you should always check with your doctor as the rules may be different.

True, but most people aren't going to check with their docs for adding a vegetable into their diet.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Yumm!

And great in protein!
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get it when my friends take me out for sushi. That way I can have one serving of salmon rolls and edamame instead of rice. LOVE IT!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Surely they have a nice taste :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

But not if you have any kind of thyroid issues. And I think there may be other health issues, where soy is contraindicated, but I've just researched thyroid, as it applies to me.
    [/quote]

It is my understanding that raw soy (like edamame) is contraindicated for thyroid, but not cooked soy (like tofu). YMMV.

Pam