QUESTION: How in the world ?

Options

Replies

• anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    First 50 or so came off quickly and then progressively slower. You burn more having to lug around and maintain all that fat and as you lose it, you're burning less and less and it slows down.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Right on! OK then, I no longer am worried because I am eating properly - I am quite heavy so pounds do come off but it's not so much the POUNDS in any given range of time but I think more the PROPORTION or PERCENTAGE of weight loss (ie/ amount of pounds lost DIVIDED BY original starting weight). I think if we were to report the % of weight loss then perhaps a better comparison could be made amongst all of us (heavy, not so heavy, etc.). Thanks for your reply.
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Yes, % might be better. Though maybe % of excess lost, so instead of dividing by the original weight you'd do...

lb lost/(start weight - goal weight)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Doctors will tell you that 1-2lbs loss a week is healthy. If you are doing everything you should by logging your food, keeping within your calorie goal by eating healthy foods, cut soda, sugar, reduce simple carbs and get exercise daily, an average of 1-2lbs a week shouldnt be too hard ot accomplish. Note I said "average".

At an average of 2lbs loss per week (on the high end) would be 104lbs in a year. We think, Wow.. this person lost so much weight! but that is still by the doctors' standards a healthy weight loss, not an unhealthy rapid weight loss.

I am DETERMINED to reach that average of 2lbs a week. I want to be one of those people that post in Success Stories how much I've lost in 2012 and then post the ugly before and AMAZING AFTER pictures!

Determination, motivation, encouragement from others are all factors that attribute to a success story. It also helps if you have a partner to work out with, whether that is a spouse, co-worker, family member or friend. Push each other and dont go back to being that sedintary slug that got you where you were before you started this journey! (I'm not calling anyone else that sedintary slug, I'm referring to myself here.)

Most importantly - KEEP MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (my motto for 2012)
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, % might be better. Though maybe % of excess lost, so instead of dividing by the original weight you'd do...

lb lost/(start weight - goal weight)

Awesome, that's the first time I seen that formula - it makes sense !!!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread!! Learning so much!!! :)
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I believe that within every person is "a way to" my way will not work for you. Only "your way" will work long term for you. take all that you have learned and gather more info to help along the way and make a program that is "yours"! YOU CAN DO IT!! I am proof of that. Do It Your Way in 2012 and beyond !!!

https://www.facebook.com/doityourway2012

Peace
    Geo
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started our life style change July 19th, 2011. I know it has only been 7 months but my husband lost 61 pounds. I always wonder about people that loose it so fast how is that possible. We are working out 5 days a week right now but we only started at 3 days and slowly built up to the 5 days. He wants to loose 84 lbs by the time we go on a scheduled cruise in June. This would put him at 299 that is why the strange number. We started this knowing it is was going to take awhile. In the past we have attempted fad diets which we both had some luck with but in the end you have to eat normal again.

Just remember it is not how fast you lose but how healthy you are becoming with every pound lost. BTW the way in June the doctor told him he was borderline dibetic and in September the doctor said he was not worried about that anymore at that point my husband had lost 30 pounds.

I guess what I am saying with this very long story (sorry about that) is just don't worry about how fast others lose it or you might drive yourself crazy. Good luck to you and your future weight loss.

Just wanted to say I LOVE your profile pic :)
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    each week i know that from experience i am a very slowwww loser .....

There is nothing wrong with being a slow loser! If you lose a pound or two per week I think it's more likely to stay off long-term. It may also have to do with what your eating and how much your working out. If your honestly doing the right things you will lose weight.

I stick to a few rules that have been working for me so far and maybe they can help you: 1. Drink water, I drink about 2L/day, 2. don't eat foods with ingredients you can't pronounce (and fast food is not food in my book), 3. exercise at least 30 mins a day (even simple walking), and lastly 4. track everything you eat everyday on this site or with your smart phone or both. It's critical to monitor your intake.

Best wishes on your health journey!
  • Judway
    Options
    i actually have done 99% of what you posted ...but the exercise and that's because of an injury thank you for your post
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You've got some very good advice on this thread, but one thing no one has mentioned. Is it possible you have a health situation you don't know about. The reason I asked is because I began my lifestyle change on 12-30-10. It took me 7 months to lose 7 pounds while doing all these things everyone on this thread has mentioned--no junk food, no processed food, no fast food, drinking lots of water, etc. I found out in July 2011 that I have hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism and a metabolic disorder (among other things). I've now lost over 40 pounds but it has taken me over a year to do it, and I've had to be super strict with my diet in order to achieve the weight loss. That is really slow compared to most everyone else on MFP, but I'm not using the medical issues as a crutch to keep the weight on. I've still got a long way to go, but just wanted to address this possibility. For the record, it's probably going to take me at least another 9 months to a year to get the rest of my weight off (approx. 35 pounds), but I have the mentality that the time will come whether I'm big or whether I'm small and I want that time to come and find me having reached my weight loss goals. Don't give up!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the amount of people that have huge weight losses (170lbs. and more) in 1 year.
    say at 180lbs. that works out to be almost 4lbs. a week with no gains.. My question is how is that done ?
    I also say congratulations to all that have...

Being totally devoted to making behavior changes regarding food.
    Being totally focused on getting rid of the bad foods out there (I dont want to hear from the moderation police on this) and only focusing on healthier options and choices with food
    Staying committed to working on exercise as a regular course of action

Not creating excuses for yourself on why this and why that. Just admit and acknowledge and get back up on your own two feet and get moving in that direction from where you fell off from.

Being honest with yourself means dont go complaining you arent losing weight and profess eating right, drinking water, exercising, when your food diary shows you eating all the wrong types of foods (junk food, processed food) and you are loading up with the types of foods and beverages that everyone knows will stall you.

For some people, they alone are the reason why they cant seem to lose weight - they dont want to admit to making the wrong choices, but want it all... it just doesnt work that way.

Ive dropped almost 70lbs in six months, I have another 70lbs to go, and if I stay on track, keep all three of my doctors informed of my progress and stay honest, true and real to myself.... I know Im going to lose the other 70lbs...

You wont find one box of frozen meals in my house ever.... you wont find soda in my house ever.... you wont find junk food in my house ever....

Thankfully with my medical background and my culinary background, this transition into 'work-on-me' mode has been really successful.... and having a supportive husband really makes a difference.. that man never knew how awesome chimichurri sauce was until he tried it on his steak...

Come on over, Ill show you what fresh, healthy foods are and how awesome they could taste!

Love this. I've been getting confused because I see where super fit people who have lost over 100lbs are saying you can eat what you want as long as it is within your Micros (whatever that is) or calorie budget. I like eating good for you foods but sometimes find it hard to eat all my calories so (like today for lunch) I'll go get a turkey burger or somethign that has a lot of calories. I may have plenty of calories left over but i odn't feel the same and it wasn't an overall healthy meal.

I'm glad someone who has been there will say "NO!, you have to eat a healthy diet". Thanks for the post!
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I maintain that everyone's weight loss journey is different, just as many of our goals are different. I have lost 30 pounds in two months. That is a LOT and I have not been horribly restricting myself in an effort to acheive that.

The 1-2 pounds per week that are reported as safe are actually a percentage of body weight (1%). I started this at 401 pounds. 1% of MY body weight a week is 3-4 pounds and that's probably roughly what I've been averaging, maybe a little more. The closer I get to my goal of 200 pounds, the less I'm expecting to lose per week...and that's okay.

I am in the 'all things in moderation' camp. That does not mean that I think cutting out all 'bad' food is unacceptable, just not right for me. It might be for you, but I don't believe any one way is for everyone. We are not cookie cutter automatons and thinking like we are seems to me like a recipe for disaster.

My method has been simply a straight calorie deficit. I came to this conclusion after analyzing my normal eating. My biggest problem seemed to be straight over-eating and laziness (eating at fast food joints because it was easier). So, my main concentration has been on planning and proper portions. This has worked well for me. I don't feel deprived, but I am losing weight. Health isn't an issue since I have always been relatively healthy, despite the weight.

My advice for you is to research, educate yourself, analyze what you believe to be the true cause of your current weight (this may be overeating, it may be lack of activity, and it may be a medical condition or something else entirely) and address the *root cause* of your weight problem. If you don't address the root cause, then it will be like trying to use a hammer to turn a screw. Wrong tool for the job.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I am in the 'all things in moderation' camp. That does not mean that I think cutting out all 'bad' food is unacceptable, just not right for me. It might be for you, but I don't believe any one way is for everyone. We are not cookie cutter automatons and thinking like we are seems to me like a recipe for disaster.

And I respectfully disagree ****to a point**** with the whole "moderation" camp... Ive known many people who just have absolutely NO control whatsoever... They are so addicted to soda (doesnt matter if its diet or regular), simple sugars/carbohydrates the convenience of food-on-the-go where you pop it in the microwave and eat in two minutes, the open a box of Hamburger Helper (which by the way just increased their box size.. repulsive, and costs $1.85), its rediculous that people are ok with filling their bodies with this junk.. and that is what it is: junk.

If you have the ability to have that box of Twix candy bars in your home, and have it last for two consecutive weeks without feeling the compulsion to have three packages in one sitting, then sure - go for it - you learned how to moderate yourself...

But when those 'bad days' (you know it, they do happen), come around and you seek solace in a box of junk food - that box of Twix doesnt last longer than 15 minutes.... And so you let your eating behaviors win....and you make yourself worse that way.

Youre better off not having that kind of junk around because you havent learned how to change the eating behaviors...especially in the beginning of any food-related lifestyle change.

It depends on the person's situation, lifestyle, food-style choice, health, doctor's recommendations, etc.

That is what I mean by 'Being honest with yourself".... can you trust yourself? Both with the food you eat and the food you document?

I have a food elimination list so big that it was much easier just to adapt to the food-style that my Endocrinologist recommended...

Its better to deal with the reality check that no matter what weight-loss avenue you travel, you are better off starting from scratch and get yourself disciplined first before you consider the unhealthy processed junk of the world coming in via moderation...

My facial lips are still recouperating from the last food allergy I had (I cant eat processed bleached white flour).... was told it was thickened with dairy, and the server failed to tell me it had flour... white-processed-bleached-flour.....UGH....

Seriously, get to know what is in your food.... you will become more enlightened and educated and more informed...

Proud to have a junk-free home!
  • cramernh
    Options
    My advice for you is to research, educate yourself, analyze what you believe to be the true cause of your current weight (this may be overeating, it may be lack of activity, and it may be a medical condition or something else entirely) and address the *root cause* of your weight problem. If you don't address the root cause, then it will be like trying to use a hammer to turn a screw. Wrong tool for the job.

I actually am pretty lucky, the physicians I used to work for all got together and helped me with rigorous testing.... The Allergist was very kind to take some time to help out... OH MY GAWD, the CRAP Im allergic to, or the foods Im allergic and/or sensitiive to... what a list!

Im a PCOS, Insulin Resistance, I have been found with a rare metabolic disorder, and the list of foods to eliminate is just as big too! hehehehe... the one time in my life I can honestly say "Im glad to have been a guinea pig" HAHAHAHHAHAHAA
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Love this. I've been getting confused because I see where super fit people who have lost over 100lbs are saying you can eat what you want as long as it is within your Micros (whatever that is) or calorie budget. I like eating good for you foods but sometimes find it hard to eat all my calories so (like today for lunch) I'll go get a turkey burger or somethign that has a lot of calories. I may have plenty of calories left over but i odn't feel the same and it wasn't an overall healthy meal.

I'm glad someone who has been there will say "NO!, you have to eat a healthy diet". Thanks for the post!

You probably meant "macros" (short for macronutrients), which is protein, carbohydrates, and fat. "Micros" (short for micronutrients) are vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamins A, B, C, etc and minerals such as Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, etc.

Alot of people, including myself, have daily macronutrient targets/goals for various reasons such as for muscle gains, thermogenics, etc. So when people say if it fits in their "macros", they're saying they don't care what the name of the food is, as long as it either helps them reach or not exceed their protein, carbohydrate, or fat targets then it's okay. To the calorie conscious, the macro diet view already accounts for calories since the P=4, C=4, F=9 (Alcohol=7) is already factored in.
  • SFalconStorm
    Options
    Cramernh, I think I'm confused by your disagreement. Are you saying that *I* need to stop using my moderation philosophy even though it works for me? I tried to be very careful to specify that my way is not for everyone. I have tried the 'disciplinary' method before with NO sugar, NO processed foods, etc. It made me sick...like running to the bathroom to hurl sick and I do not have what you would call a weak stomach. It may have even been a psychological response as opposed to a physiological response, but never the less, it made me ill.

For *you*, your method is obviously necessary and the best answer, and the OP may find success with your method as well, but I'm afraid it would not work for me. That doesn't make me wrong anymore than you not using my method makes you wrong. We are just different.
  • cramernh
    Options
    And I respectfully disagree ****to a point**** with the whole "moderation" camp

I dont really think you read the post...what Im saying is... Moderation does not work for everyone.

If you are the type of person who can have junk food in the house and not have-at-it all in one sitting, actually do portion control and it lasts for the duration.. thats great - that means you have acquired the ability to train yourself not to let the eating-behaviors kick in - those behaviors meaning overeating...

If you are the type who has said-item in the house, and all it takes is that one bad day to trigger you to want to eat your problems away, and that one junk food item that is in your house, doesnt survive longer than 15 minutes because you ate the whole thing out of stress, then moderation doesnt apply - that type of person still needs to learn about how to stop allowing their eating behaviors to be triggered, thus eating yourself silly...

Thats where my comment of "I respectfully disagree ****to a point****" comes in.

My method is not disciplinary... in fact, I think its rather unnerving that you would assume that is....... its all overseen by healthcare professionals - my primary care, my dermatologist and my endocrinologist all working collaboratively thanks to the test results discovered by a very warm and caring Allergist....

People like me have no choice - based on my individual test results and the game plan in place does not allow 'moderation'...

There are people out there who can control things like this... that is when moderation works.
    There are people out there who cant control theirselves - willingly admit they cant control it... and therefore moderation still wont work when they havent learned to control their eating behaviors and triggers... its best for these kinds of people not to have the trigger foods around while they learn how to manage things before moderation could be something they can do.....
  • SFalconStorm
    Options
    Okay. I was just confused because I thought I, also, had established that the way I described doesn't work for everyone, therefore there would be nothing to disagree with unless you were disagreeing with my method working for *me*. Thank you for the clarification.

I totally understand problems with food allergies. My husband is allergic to chicken and turkey, so that knocks an entire lean meat category out of my meal planning unless I'm willing to cook different meats for each of us. Even cooking a porkchop for him in the same pan that I cook a chicken breast for me can make him ill because the juice from the chicken gets on his porkchop.
  • Judway
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread!! Learning so much!!! :)
    your welcome i am too
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!