Protein- How much should I be getting?

Options
I am 5'7 230lbs. I am starting to add weight training into my daily gym visit along with my usual 45 minutes of cardio. I am not going to log weights into my excercise as I dont want to mis-calculate how much I am burning. I know MFP under-estimates for protein so my question is, adding in circuit weights, all machines 10-12 reps 3x (weight will be hard enough that I can barely do last rep without breaking form) how much protein should I be getting? Is there a protein shake you recommend? What are good ways to get the additional protein in without compromising my weight loss?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love a post-workout protein shake. I use Designer Whey (all natural), Double Chocolate. I mix it with a half cup coffee and a half cup milk, add a tsp vanilla and it tastes like a latte :) It only has 100 cal. per scoop and 18g protein.

I try to get between 50-60 grams a day, but i'm only 5'4 and weigh 138lbs.
  • LisaWixom
    LisaWixom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dont drink coffee, is there another way to mix it? Do they taste ok mixed other ways?
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you can mix it with milk or mix it in yogurt too. greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein! if you add too much of the powder you will notice that flavor but you can spread that out over the day.

also there is this
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp