Anyone work with Kettlebells?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump! I checked out the WEBSITES that people mentioned on here, for free demos... These ones stood out for me:

1) Cross Fit - http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#KBs, Loads of information on that site. Very cool...He's really good with taking the time to make sure you have the right form. You get the basics but it's really really good for showing the proper way.
    2) Bob Harper - While you have to buy the Bob Harper ones, I caught a glimpse of his youtube demos. He's more slick but keeps you motivated. Pretty good.
    3) Kettlebell Meltdown 300 - for the advanced KBer. Wow. Check it out..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM&feature=related

I liked these ones because they demonstrated proper technique. You can find loads of youtube videos for different exercises, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9t8tM0gn9c&feature=related. But make note that not all videos show proper technique.
  • daizylibra
    Options
    I LOVE kettlebells. I started with an 18 pound bell, then got a 26 pound bell, and another 26 pound bell (for double kettlebell hell! lol), and now have a competion sized 35 pound bell. I have some local trainers that are RKC certified and have learned a ton from them. I hope to compete one day.
  • daizylibra
    Options
    Also check out On the Edge Fitness with Lauren Brooks. She has great DVD's!!! http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you want videos that break down proper form for basic kettlebell exercises, Senior RKC Franz Snideman puts a lot of stuff on youtube. If you are going to make a DVD investment, Dragon Door has the Kettlebell Goddess DVD that is really good. While you are on the Dragon Door website, look up a certified instructor in your area and do a session with them.....It is so worth the money and you will learn TONS!

Please, BE CAREFUL.....there is a lot of junk out there relating to kettlebells and a person could hurt doing some of what I have seen. Just because someone is famous or on TV doesn't make them qualified as an instructor.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I love working with kettlebells! My body composition started changing rapidly when I did it regularly. I layed off them for a while...was sick off and on, now getting back. Starting with a lighter weight than when I was in my prime a few months ago. Can't wait to start seeing changes again!!!
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was at a friends house last night and she had them, I think I'm hooked already, now I'm wondering...is there a specific kind I should buy or are all created equal?
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    Larger round handle is better than the more square handles. Circumference of handle should be comfortable and smooth.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I was at a friends house last night and she had them, I think I'm hooked already, now I'm wondering...is there a specific kind I should buy or are all created equal?

I find the cast iron once-vinyl or not coated, to be better than the once that look like med. ball with a handle. When ever I have the bell against my wrist-the med. ball once, the handle is very uncomfortable, like when I do cleans, snatches, front squats, presses and so on. So, that is the reason for me the cast iron once are better. Also, the cast iron handles are better to handle. And don't go too light on the weight if you get your own, because of the explosive movement you can handle a lot more weight than you think. I love KBs! Good luck!
  • JustTracyB
    Options

I find the cast iron once-vinyl or not coated, to be better than the once that look like med. ball with a handle. When ever I have the bell against my wrist-the med. ball once, the handle is very uncomfortable, like when I do cleans, snatches, front squats, presses and so on. So, that is the reason for me the cast iron once are better. Also, the cast iron handles are better to handle. And don't go too light on the weight if you get your own, because of the explosive movement you can handle a lot more weight than you think. I love KBs! Good luck!

I second the cast iron type. I forgot about those silly medicine ball ones. And yes. Heavier on the weight. Ladies shouldn't go lighter than 15lbs. 18 is ideal. Anything lighter is a waste...even for a beginner. Also, buy a good video that give proper form instruction. Stay away from Jillian Michaels for this. I like her 30 Day Shred and all but her Shred w/Weights is horrible for kettlebell work.

Check out Lauren Brooks' videos or I have a DVD set that has 16 different workouts that build up as you go. It's calledRKS Workouts. It's a bit pricey, but if you order from their website, you get a free kettlebell. The intstruction video is very good, then you go on to your workout videos.
  • sbb4406
    Options
    I think I disagree about anything lighter than 15 lbs being too light, haha. I just bought a 3 weight set from Walmart (10, 15, 20) and I really can't do a lot with the 15, and like... nothing with the 20. I don't think I'm exceptionally weak, but maybe I am. lol

Are the Iron Core videos any good? I haven't tried it yet, but these videos have a lot of breaks and I'm thinking that might frustrate me when I do. Do the RKS workout videos have any cardio in them like Jillian's Shred it with Weights (I'm trying to avoid that lol)?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebells. I started working with them about 2 years ago and they are by far my favorite piece of equipment ever. I have several DVDs but my favorite is Kettlebell Bombshell with Lisa Balash.

I second the disagreement on the weights ... I made a lot of progress with my 10 pound even as I was only working up to the 15. Everyone's body responds differently, and it's better to go conservative when you're learning. Improper technique with too much weight can really cause some injury.

Anyone wanting a kettleball pal is free to FR me. :)

:flowerforyou:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you plan to do with you kb, and what your goals are. Swings in timed intervals are an amazing cardio exercise with great core work involved. Kettlebells overall have great interaction between functional upper body strength and core stability without doing stupid isolation exercises. Look up on YouTube:

Turkish Get Up
    Kettlebell Snatch
    Kettlebell Halo
    Kettlebell Figure 8
    Kettlebell Goblet Squat
    Kettlebell Windmill

That's a good start ;)
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bearwithme041
    Options
    bump
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back up to see if we can get more feedback :) Lovin it!