Menopause and weight gain - need some suggestions

Options
Hi All :-)
Here's a lil background on my situation. Im 46 was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol 1 1/2 years ago. Since then i''ve lost 125 pounds, i pretty much have gotten rid of the diabetes, my blood pressure is perfect and my cholesterol is 70. About 6 months ago i started having menopausal symptoms nothing too bad just your basic *****iness, sleeplessness, and a couple of instances of night sweats. 3 months ago my period pretty much has stopped and thats where i noticed my inability to loose to weight, I workout 3 to 4 days a week at a gym i do 1 hour of cardio and 30 to 45 mins strength training and 30 minutes core exercises. I eat right always stay under my calorie allotment. I will loose 5 pounds and two days later gain it back then the next week loose a few pounds back and forth. So last friday i went to the dr's to get some lab work done so i jumped on the scale i weighed 201, so ok so that tells me i've only lost 1 pound in the last 3 months. I had a dr's appt yesterday so i worked my butt off at the gym monday, tueday, and wednesday took in a average of 1600 cals each day so im thinking ok if anything it will show i am at least not gaining any weight. I get on the scale at the dr's office yesterday says i weighed 207!! I was in tears I'm sooo frustrated how could i have gained 6 pounds in 5 days!!! I am at my witts end i don't know what else i can do to get down past 200 pounds! My dr says its the menopause. Ok so i come home and start doing some research and what i found was that when we are going through menopause we stop producing hormones such a estrogen so when that happens our body looks for other ways to get the hormones and one of the places estrogen is made is in the lining of fat cels. Also says that hormone therapy along with exercise and a healthy diet is one way to help this. I really don't want to take any hormones and my dr does'nt want me to either. So here's my question how the heck do i loose weight? Am i basically screwed for the next few years that i go through menopause, am I going to be constantly struggling to loose weight? I've worked so hard to get where i am at and I feel like im just going backwards when i should be going forwards. Any help, info or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I am also curious how many of you out there are going through the same thing.

Replies

• princessstacy
    Options
    My doctor apt was Friday. Heard those little words...welcome to menopause. I two have been struggling and struggling for the past year with fluid retention. Have already lost 120 and gained back almost 30. 10-15 being fluid. Hypo thyroid that is now controlled but nothing I do seems to work. I understand exactly where you are at right now. It is one of the most frustrating things to do what you are supposed to and sit in the same spot time and again.