"dieting" during pregnancy?

Options
Happy Friday Everyone :-)
Prior to taking a positive pregnancy test yesterday I was hoping to take off a good ammount of weight. I need to lose about 50lbs. Does anyone know what a healthy amount of calories are that I can consume to still try and be not going overboard to take off some of this fat. I don't want to nessacarily "diet" persay. I just want to eat healthy and watch the thunder thighs go away. LOL :-)

Replies

• chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Maybe talk to your doc about what a healthy pregnancy weight for you is ... or how to gain proper pregnancy weight. Either way you look at it, you're gonna put on some pounds with baby. And that is okay! Its how its supposed to be :) I'd focus more on being healthy for you and baby and worry about dropping the weight after he/she comes! I hope you can enjoy being pregnant! I sure did ... mmm french toast! maybe I went a little overboard with french toast, but hey ... prego ... you get an excuse! :)

Congratulations and good luck!!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I would talk this over with your doctor and what they feel would be a healthy calorie range for you and your baby. Continue to eat healthy and exercise.
  • emgirl0405
    Options
    You only need 200-300 calories extra during pregnancy and if you're exercising you don't need to quit just only do what your body tells you too. Definitely consult with your OB/GYN to see what he recommends though. I have a friend that workout almost all the way through her pregnancy and did great, she just listened to her body.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about this, I'm sure there is a proper amount of calories and more importantly certain types of foods to eat. But more importantly....CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am 31 weeks and am eating 2000 - 2100 calories a day. I am watching my carbs because of gestational diabetes, which means that I have a really hard time getting all of the calories in most days. My dietitian would be ok with me going as high as 2300 calories a day, but my midwife wants me at the current level so I am sticking with this.

Talk to your dr when you go in for your first consult, ask how many pounds they want you to gain. Depending on your size, some drs are ok with very minimal weight gain or even staying at your current weight. My midwife does not want me gaining any more weight throughout the rest of our pregnancy. If you can establish a good eating plan now it will really help you throughout the pregnancy. Both gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia can be controlled to some extent by diet, and both are not fun complications. I wish I had taken my diet more seriously at the beginning of our pregnancy!!

Esp in the first trimester, don't worry about eating too many carbs or anything. Crackers may be the only thing you can stomach some days, and that is perfectly fine. Once you get past 12 weeks and the morning sickness starts to ease, make sure you are getting a good balanced diet.

Good luck and congrats!! Happy and healthy 9 months to you!
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I agree with everyone else in that you have to talk with your OB/GYN. I was overweight when I got pregnant with my second son and my OB wanted me to gain max 20, but preferbly 15. I told her I had recently joined WW to lose the weight I had gained with my first and she told me it was okay for me to continue WW because it was really about healthy eating. She said not to obsess about the points though, if I had eaten all my points and I was still hungry I should eat, but be sure I ate something healthy. It worked for me. I gained 8 pounds until I had to go on bedrest at 31 weeks for preterm labor.

I very much understand where you're coming from, but please always remember your baby needs to get nutirtion. I had a friend who had a past with eating disorders and would only allow herself to eat about 1300-1400 calories a day when pregnant, which was up from her normal 1000-1100 and her baby was less than 6 pounds when born and had some health problems because she didn't eat enough.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, everyone is different.
  • sjsieglaff
    sjsieglaff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am now almost 20 weeks pregnant. Your supposed to get roughly 2500 calories per day. I gained ALOT of weight with my first baby (80 lbs), and dont want to gain that much again. It is acually safe in my case to lose up to 40 lbs while pregnant. But its not "dieting" per say. Its just making better choices about what you eat. So instead of grabbing a cheeseburger, eat a salad. I havent lost any weight, actually gained 10 lbs, but atleast its "healthy" weight this time. I still find it difficult to reach the full 2500 calories. I think the thing that makes the biggest difference is watching the fat intake. Eating 2500 calories of fruits, veggies, protein and dairy is different than eating 2500 calories of deepfried foods and donuts.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor about something like this. They will be able to give you much more insight on proper nutrition during pregnancy. Remember you are eating for two, so a caloric surplus isn't a bad thing. I'm sure the health of the baby is your top priority anyways, losing weight can come afterwards.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree with the aboves. Talk to your doctor. As long as you're healthy, eating a healthy diet is the best for both of you. Youre baby will take what it needs from you and you will be the one lacking.

My niece is 8 months and hasn't gained an oz. her baby will weigh about 13 lbs and is very healthy. She was about 5'8" and weighs 190 when she found out she was pregnant. Once the baby is here she'll most likely be 20-25 lbs lighter than before pregnancy.

Everyone is different so DO talk to your doctor. I'd say, if you have weight to loss you can continue and decent diet for you and the baby and still drop a few pounds. Stay active!!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    My wife has a book I think it's called the Beck Diet for Life. In it there are meal plans for almost any situation, it might be worth it to pick it up. The nutritionist and Psychologists at our weight loss clinic incorporates alot of the lessons learned in this book.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Your doctor probably will not allow you to lose weight during pregnancy, but will rather focus on a healthy weight gain - normally this is bout 25-30 lbs, but your doctor may have you aim for 15-20 instead (I don't know) if you already have some extra weight.

As someone else said, you will need about 300 extra calories, but probably not in first trimester.

I am 7 weeks. My doc is allowing me to continue with my current exercise regimen (weight training with heavy weights 3x a week - though she said no more increases in pounds lifted and cardio 3-4x a week for 20-45 minutes). I showed her my diary and she was happy with my 1700 calories for now.

My doc plans to track my weight gain and make adjustments to my diet/exercise as needed as we go along. So, just go with a looooong list of your questions and see what your doctor recommends. Best of luck! And congratulations!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe talk to your doc about what a healthy pregnancy weight for you is ... or how to gain proper pregnancy weight. Either way you look at it, you're gonna put on some pounds with baby. And that is okay! Its how its supposed to be :) I'd focus more on being healthy for you and baby and worry about dropping the weight after he/she comes! I hope you can enjoy being pregnant! I sure did ... mmm french toast! maybe I went a little overboard with french toast, but hey ... prego ... you get an excuse! :)

Congratulations and good luck!!

this is what i would say, but you said it way better.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    take your diet log with you to the doctor and see what they think. i do have some women who lose with pregnancy simply because they are making much better food choices. usually that loss in the beginning picks up at about 22-24 weeks. i think 15-35 lbs is a good goal (depending on your bmi to start with). the goal is to get plenty of protein and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. be honest with your care provider about your goals, your food diary and your exercise. the best advice i can give you is....BREASTFEED after the baby comes! it is the perfect food for your baby and it will help you fit back in your jeans quicker! congratulations and enjoy!
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You only need 200-300 calories extra during pregnancy and if you're exercising you don't need to quit just only do what your body tells you too. Definitely consult with your OB/GYN to see what he recommends though. I have a friend that workout almost all the way through her pregnancy and did great, she just listened to her body.

I completely agree. I did not gain much weight during my pregnancies. it was afterwards that gained it all-with the newfound stress and up all night thing and staying at home for th first time. I actually was back to prepreg weight within a month after birth without breast feeding.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor. In most cases you will be told not to try and lose weight but to make healthier choices and you will lose some fat. DO NOT DIET just make healthy choices. Congratulations!
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    And you will eventually need some extra calories but that does not come until 3rd trimester. I speak from experience, I just had my boy 4 months ago :)
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    This is one to discuss with your doctor, absolutely. I had a friend who dieted during her pregnancy and she gave birth to a full term baby that weighed 2 1/2 pounds, full term! The baby lived and grew fine, but had to stay in the hospital for several weeks. But please, discuss this with your doctor. You don't want to deprive your baby. If you breast feed your baby, that will help you later. But for now, live and breathe and eat for that baby. Talk to your doctor!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and exercise. Healthy food are better for you and the baby. Exercise will make your labor, delivery and recovery easier. I was on WW during my first pregnancy. I did not lose any weight while pregnant but two weeks after he was born I was down 28 pounds. Just be sure to clear whatever you are doing with your doctor.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    You absolutely should not "diet" during pregnancy. You need to eat a healthy, well balanced diet that focuses on nutrition to grow your extra human. :)

So go here and figure out what your maintenance calories are: http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html# And then add in your extra 2-3 hundred calories, and go from there. :) Please do not try losing weight. It's vital that you have enough to feed your tiny human.

http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp

Most importantly: talk to your healthcare provider about this! I was obese with my last two babies :( I made sure to eat healthily and had enough fruits and veggies, plenty of protein and carbs, and I only gained 13 and 17 pounds, respectively. You can do this without adding too much more weight.

Congrats!!