10 min lots? or 40 min straight?

Options
ok so ive got a pretty simple question here.
I love HIIT.
I was curious to know if 10 minute lots 4 times a day or doing one block for 40 minutes would equal the same amount of calories? the treadmill says it does, i dont belive it.
I always see stufff about getting into a certain "fat burning zone" ect, so i wasnt sure what would be more effective, metabolism wise and stuff like that, most of y strength training is done half in the morning half at night because apparently it burns more calories due to the after burn ect.

anyway any info would be nice, thanks guys.

Replies

• taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    Is that Autzen Stadium I see in your profile? I'm originally from Oakridge and after most of my life there I couldn't handle all of the rain between snowboarding season so I flew south forever.

As for splitting up your HIIT I've heard both. I've heard that to get the effects of fat burning it has to be a minimum of 20 minutes but then I've also heard that you can split it up. I jump rope on days that I don't have a lot of time and generally try to do as many sets of 100 as I can with 1 minute rest periods between. It doesn't take long but it gets my heart rate up so I figure it's better than nothing.

Here's a site that that has some info on different types of cardio you might find usefull.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/cardio/
  • taxidermist15
    Options
    hahah good eye! yes it is! dunno what your worried about though, ive been here since nvemeber, not a drop of rain or snow the entire time!! its like its summer or something.
    GO DUCKS!
  • mkellz2012
    Options
    Weight training actually throws your metabolism up to 36 hours.... I'm assuming that's what you mean by "afterburn"? Weight Training ideally burns up to 500% more calories than cardio, however, you can't calculate the calories burned
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    is the treadmill taking into account your heart rate? an hrm is the best way to tell, and I would think that doing it 40 min straight would burn more by keeping your heart rate elevated for longer... just a guess
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    Now I live 3 miles from the beach and the water was warm enough that I went bodyboarding on Christmas morning so I think I'll keep my current situation. It was great to give all of the Gator fans crap this year because their team was a little rough to say the least....lol
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taxidermist15
    Options
    Now I live 3 miles from the beach and the water was warm enough that I went bodyboarding on Christmas morning so I think I'll keep my current situation. It was great to give all of the Gator fans crap this year because their team was a little rough to say the least....lol

haha im originally form australia, so it was great having my first christmas not sweating trying to eat a roast dinner in 112 degree heat! hahah so im happy for the cold weather. I had some badger fans i know so they wernt to happy about the rosebowl result!!

thanks for the info, i think il keep up with longer periods of HIIT.
    for a short workout i might try tabata training
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Some might say that the 40 minute workout is better, but honestly, I say do whichever you want.

If 10 minutes is all I have at any given time, it's much better to do ten minutes now than to do 40 minutes later, because you never know what will come up later.