Heart Rate Monitors???

Options
I'm interested in buying a Heart Rate Monitor to wear to the gym so that I can get an ACCURATE number of the calories I'm burning. I'm curious as to which products everyone has used, live by, or absolutely hate!

Basically, which is the best bang for my buck? I'm looking to spend between $50-80. :ohwell:

Any ideas, advice, experiences are MUCH appreciated!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in buying a Heart Rate Monitor to wear to the gym so that I can get an ACCURATE number of the calories I'm burning. I'm curious as to which products everyone has used, live by, or absolutely hate!

Basically, which is the best bang for my buck? I'm looking to spend between $50-80. :ohwell:

Any ideas, advice, experiences are MUCH appreciated!! :flowerforyou:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar F6...but the cheapest one I've found was $104.00.

I joined Virginhealthmiles.com through my gym and was able to earn one through exercise steps. I'm pretty sure anyone can join. Check it out.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I think I made a bad purchase. I just bought a Polar FS1. I was trying to save money.:grumble:

I did not read very well. I was disappointed that it does not calculate my calories. Is there any way I can calculate it myself, or would it be wise just to buy a better model?

Kathy
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Plantlady, I did the same thing with a garmen. Thought I was saving money but oh well.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Polar F6 and my trainer has one too!! She turns hers on while I am working out and gets my read out. (good or bad I dont know cuz I cant fake my HR :laugh: )

If you work out in a gym a lot you might want the f11 because it blocks out other monitors.

I have NOT had that issue with my F6.

I have to say it is the best investment I have made for my exercise and health.
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Thank you so much. This one is going back and I am ordering and F6 as we speak.

Thanks again. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    found one on ebay for 75 Bucks. that's a good deal. That's the buy it now price so it's not a bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Black-Polar-F6-Heart-Rate-Fitness-Monitor-Watch_W0QQitemZ250389611760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250389611760&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Thanks Banks, but it is to late. I just bought one for $109 total. That's fine with me. I'm just happy I'm getting one that will count my calories.

Thanks again Banks

Kathy
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    They have one at Walmart Solo95, 60 Dollars and it does calculate calories,
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks Banks, but it is to late. I just bought one for $109 total. That's fine with me. I'm just happy I'm getting one that will count my calories.

Thanks again Banks

Kathy

Aww that's too bad, one of them was going for 65 bucks. But oh well, you got it, and you'll enjoy it. After a few weeks using it you won't mind at all, it's an awesome investment.
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    In regards to the comment about about gym use for the F6 - I just bought a Polar F6 - the back of the packaging said the OwnCode prevents cross-talk with other HRMs... so wouldn't that mean it would be ok to use in the gym without getting interference from others?

I haven't tried it yet in a gym setting - but I did just use it to see how many calories I burn doing 20 minutes of stair climbing (using the Wii Fit free step exercise, with the board stacked on top of an aerobics step thingy...) Said 156 calories, which is only about 12 less than I estimated before :-)
    I'm looking forward to using it at the gym too now, to get more accurate calorie burn estimations with the weight training, and the elliptical :-)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Polar F4 got it for 89.00 at Target- I wear it at the gym as well I don't pick up anything from anyone else but when I am on the stepper my reading will show up on the stepper next to me if someone is on it which I think is funny :laugh: :laugh: --

I also like the looks I get from the people at the gym when it shows my heart rate on the machine but my hands aren't on the handle- lol-

It was the best thing that I have bought- because I can really track my workouts and my calories burned-
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and absolutely LOVE it! It is definitely worth the money!

:flowerforyou:

~ Leontine
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have the F11 and I have to say it was the best investment I have made so far. It accuately counts the cals so I know how many to eat after and keeps me on track!

It;s worth every penny..
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out, and didn't want to invest a lot of money into a HRM, just in case I didn't really use it. I got a Sportline S7 for $20 at Wal-Mart. The only downside so far, is that you have to update your heart rate by pressing the button on it (doesn't do it automatically, like the Polar). It is just a watch, no chest strap, so I've heard that these are a little less accurate, but for convenience, I like it without the chest strap.
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Got my Polar F6 yesterday. I love it. I am dragging right now:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: . I walked, and walked and did my Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD. . Then walked again. I just love the motivation it gives me.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I you can afford one get one.

Kathy
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Someone,( I am so sorry, I don't remember who but thank you!) posted that buy.com had one. I just bought it and love it, too. It does count calories. You program in your gender, age, weight, height and it does the rest. EASY!!

Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap
    Our Low Price: $29.99
    FREE SHIPPING
    User Rating: 4.5

Normal retail is $119.00