Bunions making exercise difficult

Options
I've had bunions on both feet as long as I can remember. I'm at the point that I need surgery but I keep putting it off because I've heard it's very painful and may or may not help the problem. I can't wear high heels or I'll pay for that for a couple of days.

I've always been an avid exerciser for most of my life but it's to the point now that to walk on a a treadmill hurts. So I'm alternating between stationary bike riding and the Elliptical trainer. I'd love to do Zumba again but I only do it periodically now - high impact exercise classes are out of the question.

The question I have is are there others out there that have this same issue and have you had surgery. Did it work? Is your quality of life better now? Can you exercise without pain? What was the recovery time and would you do it again?

Replies

• rumandbananas
    Options
    Great post - I have exactly the same problem! I was told I would be on crutches for five weeks after the operation, or potentially a wheelchair if they did both feet, so I've been putting it off... Would love to know people's experiences with this/ what type of operation you chose as I know there are a few, and if it's worth doing.

Thanks,
    Amy
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My Mom had surgery on one foot last May and she was able to get back to the gym (eliptical, bike, swimming, no running) about a month and a half to 2 months later. It actually helped reduce the swelling. She still had trouble doing things like walking for long periods of time for a few more months though and then it was another few months before she could get back to things like yoga where she had to actually use and put weight on her toes.

Even though mine bother me when I exercise (and all the time really) I'm still not ready to pull the trigger on surgery myself.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I had them removed. I was on crutches for about a week. After that, I had to wear a boot since regular shoes didn't fit. I think it took at least 6 weeks (maybe less) before I could wear a regular shoe. I don't regret it. I have issues 20 years later, but that happens and the problems are minimal. If they bother you that much, get it done. You will be able to do some walking after you are off the crutches.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I had both of mine removed at one time when I was 17. I couldnt walk for 2 months and crutches for one more (because I had both done at once) The doctor later had his license revoked because he wasnt doing things right. He didnt put the pins in mine and they came right back. It was painful before the surgery. They dont hurt me as much now, but they are still there. I wear heels all the time. They hurt like hell, but I love them..... Sexy shoes fit no matter how fat I am. They only really hurt if I walk a very long distance or run or do things like jump rope, but I got some custom orthotics and it helped tremendously. I think they will just have to go to the grave with me. I think if the surgeon had done it right, I would have been pleased with it though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am scared I will need surgery one day too. Daily I wear a toe spaces between my big toe and second toe and I don't have any pain from my bunions those days. I wear them if I'm doing most work outs except for zumba and piloxing as with zumba they dont' stay in place and with piloxing I don't wear shoes. However I have been wearing gel two spacers after working out to help with the discomfort I get sometimes and it seems to be helping and my toes are actually looking straighter. I just ordered a "pampered toes", it's like yoga toes but cheaper. I hope it helps more!