Lost at the gym

Ok, I'm new to the site and wanted to see if I'm the only one who feels this way and to get soem advise. So I have a gym membership and I have started to go but I feel so lost sometimes because I don't know how much cardio to do versus strength training. I want to lose about 25 - 30 lbs and firm up as well. Any suggestions on how to make my workout more effective? Oh by the way I usually do like 30 mins on the treadmill and maybe 10 on the stationary bike. I may do 20-30mins of strength traning as well.

Replies

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Sounds like you're doing pretty well. I generally like to do a quick cardio warmup (5-10 minutes or so) to loosen up the muscles, then stretch, then do my strength training, and then once I'm done with the weights I'll do cardio for whatever time I have left (I do my workouts in the morning before work). I'd maybe bump up the strength training time and make sure you're hitting all the major muscle groups, that will help you look more toned all over.
  • Well you cant lose weight and build muscle. So first if you want to lose 25-30 lbs, go heavy on the cardio, once you are where you want to be then add strength. You may gain weight though because muscle weighs more then fat, but that is ok. I would also go to classes, example spin, kickboxing, weight training. These are usually free at a gym, or may be a little more but they are fun and instructor is there to push you but also does not focus just on you! This also makes working out better because lets face it sitting on a bike for 20 mins by yourself listen to your ipod is boringgggg! Does your gym offer any classes called Les Mills. These are great! go to Lesmills.com to search for a gym that offers this in your area.