Bucket gardening

Options
Does anyone have 5 gallon bucket vegetbale gardens? My wife and I are talking about doing this, mainly due to lack of space, lack of time and lack of experience. Truth is, rather than having a green thumb, mine is more of a black thumb of death! I can kill a plastic plant!
Any way, if you have done this, any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    What are you going to plant?

We got a free guide from LSU Ag Center. It looks like you can get a PDF from them and it is very helpful. Here's the link http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/home_gardening/vegetables/home_garden_crops/Louisiana+Vegetable+Planting+Guide.htm
  • Jenn728
    Options
    buckets.jpg

Here is what we had a couple of years ago. We literally just put dirt in the buckets and planted the seeds. I think maybe he put holes in the buckets, too, so the water could drain.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    jenn728- that looks fantastic! :-)

i have an old fashioned dirt garden, so i don't have any good advice, but i wanted to wish you luck. i also wouldn't recommend the topsy turvy tomato planters... my in-laws have tried them several years in a row without much success.
  • blooomers
    blooomers Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would layer your buckets. Put holes in the bottom first. you need good drainage. i would then put a couple inches of rocks in the bottom as well. it will help with drainage as well. if you need any seeds, let me know! i'll share.

also, here is a gardening site that i go to a lot... the people are great here and there is noo such thing as a dumb question! =0] (i ask a lot of dumb que's!)

www.cafegarden.com

i'm chachi there. look me up!
  • Jenn728
    Options
    garden.jpg

here is our real garden, right after he planted the spring stuff last year...we had cucumber, two kinds of beans, bell pepper, okra, squash on the outside and maybe even something else i'm forgetting.

i don't have an updated pic...right now we have brussel sprouts, cabbage and broccol.