MFP calories burned way more than machine says?

Options
So whenever I do the elliptical at my fitness center, it has me enter my weight and tracks my heart rate. It keeps a running total of my calorie burn. Today I did 25 mins and the machine says I burned 319 calories. When I enter 25 mins into MFP for elliptical trainer, it gives me 500+ calories. What a difference. Because I'm not sure which is accurate, I went with the lower total. Anyone else have this problem and with other activities???

Replies

• dkistler60
    Options
    I always have the same situation on my treadmill with running or walking, MFP indicates more calories burned than the machine. I use the treadmill calorie count, which is usually lower.
  • chmiddleton
    chmiddleton Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The machine may be more accurate since it knows the intensity you are going at. I think the MFP is a general estimate. I would be prudent and use the lower amount. And, it it's more calories, then it's a surprise bonus that will show up on your scales.
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Since I dont have a way like that to track my calories, this is my biggest fear that I am really not burning the calories it says it does. Because of that I dont usually eat my exercise calories back since I dont know what is the real amount.
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I stick to the lowest. Elliptical is my main cardio workout and I go by what the elliptical has than the mpf. Mpf is way higher and should not be counted.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Once I got my HRM I found that MPF's number for elliptical was way more than the HRM. I'd go with the lowest.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM - that will tell you what calories YOU are burning. Until then I would use the machine since it has your info programmed. MPF doesn't know your heart rate as you're working out. It's just an average.
  • nancy5012
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing and always use the lower number.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    500+ seems awfully high for 25 minutes! I'd definitely go with what the machine says!!! Also, I think sometimes the exercises in the database are what other users have entered possibly? Perhaps it goes by what they entered. I am not 100% sure of this. I know when I do 25 minutes on the elliptical, I burn around 300, give or take the resistance, etc. I suppose 500 is possible if you have your resistance and speed very high. I agree with the others - use the lower number and you might be pleasantly surprised with your results! 319 is still a VERY good burn for 25 minutes!!!!! :)

To add to the HRM idea - YES, get one! I am in love with mine! I find myself doing extra exercises to see what the burn will be! :) And yes, usually your HRM is under what the machine says - but the HRM knows you better than the machine does, as it has your height, weight, age, and knows your target HR, etc. I don't trust the heart rate sensors on the gym machines!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Once I got my HRM I found that MPF's number for elliptical was way more than the HRM. I'd go with the lowest.

This. I always go with the lower number and manually adjust what MFP says I burned.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    They are probably both wrong. :smile:

MFP uses one formula and the machines use another but most machines at the gym don't actually use your heart rate even if they measure it.

I got myself a HRM in the early days and wore that for a while until I had a good idea of what my calorie burn was doing typical exercises. Then I used that as my exercise calories. Now I have a BodyMedia FIT so i don't even track my exercise here but just go with the total daily burn that the FIT shows me and try to eat under that when trying to lose or around the same when trying to maintain.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have the reverse problem and the machines usually give me a higher reading than MFP. Unless you're going to invest in a HRM to be accurate, always log the lesser number. This way, whatever extra cals you MAY have burned are a bonus! Make sure you eat back you exercise calories though, especially if there is a possibility you burned more cals than what are given.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    MFP shows a really high burn for me on my stationary bike. However, I also know that because of my weight, I burn a ton more calories than the average person when I exercise. You have to keep in mind that machines AND MFP are just going off of what is programmed into the calculations. I say go lower only because you'll work harder, but the point in it all is to be active. I'd honestly be more concerned about meeting your time goals for activity than how much you actually burn.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Neither one is accurate.... exspecially on a elipitical... Sigh... that machine has by far been the worse at giving me an accurate calorie burn. I got my HRM and I burn at LEAST 100 calories less than what the machine says and what MFP says.. Before I got the HRM I would cut some off of what i was told by the machine and mfp but if I am going to pick one I would pick the machine... it was there with you.. it knows how fast you were going at what resistance and so on, but if it was me.... id shave a bit off or at least not eat them all back.....
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I find that the Elliptical's we have at the Gym are usually not too far off what MFP says...

The Elliptical at the gym says roughly 100 Calories for 10 minutes, but if I do higher intensity bursts throughout my work out, I can usually take it just over that 100 per 10 minutes. This is what MFP usually gives me as the Calories burnt.

I would love to know HOW people burn so many calories in such a short space of time - I do 40 to 45 minutes and can burn just over 450 calories according to the Elliptical, but have seen people with HRM's that say they burn 600+ in this time and at a lower intensity. I think maybe I am doing something wrong!!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I would love to know HOW people burn so many calories in such a short space of time - I do 40 to 45 minutes and can burn just over 450 calories according to the Elliptical, but have seen people with HRM's that say they burn 600+ in this time and at a lower intensity. I think maybe I am doing something wrong!!!
    Or maybe they are logging more calories than they burned based on some inaccurate formula. :smile:

And most don't subtract their BMR calories -- the amount of calories they would have burned during that hour anyway -- even though MFP and the HRM and the machines are all including those calories but you've already included those calories in your MFP daily base calories.
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Most newer models of ellipticals have pulse readers like mine. It helps alot in the credibility of your burned calories.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    MFP is a guess. It doesn't know how fast, what incline, etc you are doing. So, it doesn't have enough info to calculate correctly. My experience has been the same as others. If you want accuracy get a heart rate monitor or body bugg/media device. I also leave off some calories burned just to give myself a little bit of a buffer.
  • Miley4Johnny
    Options
    MFP over estimates calories burnt by quite a lot. I see people 'burning' 500 calories in 30 minutes its ridiculous. I don't agree with the idea that if you've supposedly burnt 600 calories exercising that gives you extra calories to use for another meal like its currency or something. If I were trying to lose weight I'd just set a daily calorie intake goal and some specific exercise goals per day but I would never log the exercise. Some people log cleaning the house its outrageous!!

*Rant over*
  • MacMadame
    Options
    MFP over estimates calories burnt by quite a lot.
    Sometimes. Sometimes it under-estimates. It depends on the person and the exercise. For example, I used to expend around 600 calories an hour swimming. Then I cleaned up my swim technique and now I expended around 300. But MFP says the same number (too low at first and now too high).