anyone training for a marathon?

Options
First time or experienced marathoners? I am not new to running but this will be my first marathon. I'm building back up to training after an injury. Would love to know some other people who are training for a marathon this year also... :-)

Replies

• dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second marathon. I ran my first in March (DC National Marathon) and fell in love with running in a whole new way. A marathon is an incredible experience-- the training, the starting line, the finish line, the wall.... It's like you become a reinvented you. My goal for the first marathon was not to die-- and I hoped to finish under 5 hours. I completed both with a time of 4:51. This next marathon have a goal to qualify for Boston. Speed work is not my favorite, and I wouldn't recommend worrying about your time on your first marathon. Enjoy every minute of it because you will never have it back ;) happy training!
  • impersonally
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon this year. I've flirted with it a couple of times before, but this time I signed up early for one in May so I'll hopefully actually do it this time :) I've done a couple of half-marathons in the past. I get knee problems when I run really frequently, so if this is my first and only marathon I'll be okay with that, haha.

My goal is to finish under 5:00 as well. Some days I think it's totally within reach, other days, not so much. I am not a natural runner, and speed is not something that comes easily to me.
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am training for my first marathon and am currently on week 3 of training. I am doing the Hal Higdon's training plan with a friend and our goal is to just finish it! I would prefer to do it in under 5 hours but as long as we cross that finish line we won't be disappointed! We are doing the Country music marathon at the end of April. Can't wait!
  • impersonally
    Options
    I'm loosely following the Hal Higdon plan, too! I used it for my first half-marathon and thought it was really good. I also started it the last time I was training for a marathon, and made it up to the 17-mile long run before I quit. Looking back I really should've just finished ...

His plan has a bit too much running for me though, because I like doing other kinds of exercise and my knees don't love running so much. I'm going to be a little more flexible this time, though still trying to do the same long runs on the weekends. flvsusandy, sounds like your schedule is a week ahead of mine :) good luck!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon. It's not a full one, but I think the training is just as important. My sister and I are following Jeff Galloway's method. You can find his training instructions online, and also on the RunDisney website.

Good luck!! And Godspeed!
  • impersonally
    Options
    I definitely think training for a half-marathon is just as important :) no question there. I just looked up Jeff Galloway's training plans, thanks for the info! His Magic Mile idea is really interesting and I might figure out some way to incorporate that.

I noticed that Galloway's plans have you running the full distance (marathon) or even further (half-marathon) as part of the training. Higdon's plan doesn't worry about that (you do a max of 10 miles for a half, and 20 miles for a full). I thought running 10 miles as training for the half was definitely enough, and was surprised at how the additional 3 didn't feel bad at all on actual race day. Anyone else have any opinions?
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Awesome! I'm recovering from ITBS so I'm on a couch to 5k/ PT/Strength/cross training routine for awhile. =P I was going to run the Houston marathon a few days ago, but had to defer to next year. So I have a full year to work back up. (It seems like forever from now). My plan is to run a half in fall, and the full in January.
    I still consider myself to be training for the full though.

I'm curious about Hal's vs. Galloway's plan too. I'm leaning toward Galloway on account of having had ITBS, but it just seems like so. very. little. running during the week.

Can't wait to hear about ya'll's races!
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am going to start training for a half as well. I love in Wisconsin and it was less than 5 degrees out today. I was gonna do my half in May...but I have a feeling I wont have enough time to switch from tredmile to land and train well enough. Our winters never end so only having a few weeks to train on land may not work well. Hoping to sign up for one in July-ish to give me more Land time. I just cant do the running outside..
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i LIVE* in Wisconsin/Minnesota
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy just when I can reach a 5k. However, a marathon would be nice to some day. Right now what I'm training up for is to run Tough Mudder this December.
  • impersonally
    Options
    Hey, any start to running is good in my book! :)

I agree, Galloway's plan seems like very little running during the week. Then again Higdon's plan seems like maybe too MUCH running (although, I guess it is for a marathon, so maybe that's not really a valid complaint!).

I used to hate indoor running, but recently I've found the monotony of zoning out on the treadmill kind of soothing. That being said, we are having a crazy mild winter here on the East coast (it's supposed to be 50 degrees today!) so I'm hoping I can do my long 8-mile this weekend outside.

Sorry to hear about your ITBS -- hope you recover well!
  • beverlywu
    beverlywu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bellingham Bay Marathon Sept 2011 was my first...on a truly windstormy day! 5:27...felt like I was standing still on some of those miles.

Doing the BMO Vancouver marathon in May 2012. Did the half in Vancouver last year. Should be fun, in my hometown. Hopefully will make it under the 5:00 mark this time.

I run so slowly that cardio's not an issue, but the wear and tear on my joints is what gets to me.

Good luck!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im training for the Country Music Marathon with flvsusandy, and we are following Hal's Novice 2 plan. We used his intermediate plan for our HM which had us running 5 days a week, which we realized was too much. Novice 2 has us running 4 days a week, plus one set crosstraining day, and currently on week 5, seems to be working out ok.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First time or experienced marathoners? I am not new to running but this will be my first marathon. I'm building back up to training after an injury. Would love to know some other people who are training for a marathon this year also... :-)

Best suggestion I received that works wonders.

Get your body used to the foot time. This also confirms everything feels great.

So estimate how long you think the marathon will take you, realistically.

Design a training session that will take that long, starting with super long warmup and cooldown (45 min), a middle break of walking too (30 min), and 2 jogging sessions at whatever pace you currently are at.
    You can add in another set of walk/jog if more time is needed and that would be too much jogging at once.

Don't worry about the distance, you just want to get your body used to being on the feet for this long.

This will show up socks that don't work, lace tightness, clothes rubbing wrong, hydration, what you can eat, ect.

As you increase your long runs or your pace, you can do this several times leading up, and change those middle parts.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Twin Cities Marathon in October. I'll be following FIRST, www.furman.edu/first which I've used before with reasonably good success.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm running one in May. Best is 3:55 and going for 3:30. Although last couple races I was 20 lbs overweight, and I'm already down 15 lbs for this race. We'll see how it goes.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I sure am! :)

I'm running my second full marathon at the end of July, the San Francisco Marathon and I'm hoping to get into the Nike Women's Marathon again this year (in October). I've run a few half marathons and a full one (last year's Nike Women's) and I'm totally looking forward to these races!! :)

I'm glad to hear you're training too! Feel free to friend if me if you want some support/company :)
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am! I just signed up to do the 5k Rugged Maniac in May. EEEK! I hate running...lol
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first - a mini!!!! :)
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am going to start training for a half as well. I love in Wisconsin and it was less than 5 degrees out today. I was gonna do my half in May...but I have a feeling I wont have enough time to switch from tredmile to land and train well enough. Our winters never end so only having a few weeks to train on land may not work well. Hoping to sign up for one in July-ish to give me more Land time. I just cant do the running outside..
    I hear you! I'm in Minnesota, and I've got the same problem, it's hard to get outside consistently. I tried to do a spring marathon one year, and I was behind in training right from the start.