Eating out on a diet...

Options
I'm 8 lbs into a goal of 70 lbs lost. One of my greatest challenges is eating out semi-reguarly. My work schedule isn't conducive to packing a lunch due to being in and out of the office constantly. Thus I'm eating out several times a week. Some restaurants or fast-food choices are certainly better than others, but I've found that finding at least one good meal (low calorie, yet filling) is crucial to keeping me on task.

So I'm curious, what 'go-to' meals have people found when eating out at their favorite places?

Buffalo Wild Wings is a staple for me and I'm there at least once a week. Instead of wings, I've found the 6 naked tenders with a side salad instead of fries is a lot of food and it's low-cal. About 400-450 calories, depending on your salad dressing.

What else have people found that fulfills both your calorie restriction and your hunger pains?

Replies

• chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    As chips (fries) seem to form the staple part of most restaurant meals, I always look out for places where I can get a jacket potato as a substitute, or a salad.

I tend to eat mainly chicken whenever we eat out, I'm fussy about steaks, and not a big fish eater because as soon as I find a bone, even if its miniscule, that's it, I'm heaving!

No starter, and if I have enough calories spare to have a dessert, I share one with hubby..... and let him take the lion's share.... ;),
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Most places can do a grilled chicken sandwich, and that's ALWAYS a good choice when you pair it with a side salad.

I eat out a good bit as well. What works best for me is a low calorie salad with light dressing (skip the bread/garlic toast/etc), a grilled chicken sandwich, a soup/salad combo (lots of places have these as well). OR, if all else fails, I get a regular entree and only eat HALF of it.

I also knock myself out at the gym that evening, to make sure those calories aren't sitting around idly and falling into my gut/hips/thighs. :grumble:
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner so I tend to have the evening logged by midday so I can figure out where my lunch fits in. I eat out once or twice a week and always scope out the places beforehand either via MFP or their menu on the Internet to ensure it fits my lunch-calorie allotment. Also, if it's a restaurant, I always stop when I've eaten 1/2 and get a to-go bag if necessary. This keeps me from overeating.

If you're looking for fast food ideas:
    Arby's Jr Roast Beef and Apple slices with yogurt = 300 calories
    McDonalds Hamburger or Honey Mustard Snack Wrap with apple dippers or a side salad = under 300 calories
    Taco Bell has several combinations that'll get you in under 300 with a main and a side item
    Wendy's is on par with McDonalds, a Hamburger and a salad for under 300

I say planning ahead is the best approach :smile:
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner so I tend to have the evening logged by midday so I can figure out where my lunch fits in. I eat out once or twice a week and always scope out the places beforehand either via MFP or their menu on the Internet to ensure it fits my lunch-calorie allotment. Also, if it's a restaurant, I always stop when I've eaten 1/2 and get a to-go bag if necessary. This keeps me from overeating.

If you're looking for fast food ideas:
    Arby's Jr Roast Beef and Apple slices with yogurt = 300 calories
    McDonalds Hamburger or Honey Mustard Snack Wrap with apple dippers or a side salad = under 300 calories
    Taco Bell has several combinations that'll get you in under 300 with a main and a side item
    Wendy's is on par with McDonalds, a Hamburger and a salad for under 300

I say planning ahead is the best approach :smile:

This! And try not to eat out as much; learn to make carry-around foods like carrots and hummus or jerky. Also buying Clif or Lara bars, snacks that hold up in the car or in a messenger bag or whatever you use to work.