Too much protein

Options
Does anyone have any thoughts on if too much protein is bad or not condusive to weight loss? I eat a lot of protein it seems, as I am always over on it. I eat greek yogurt in my morning smoothies, chicken, etc. I love the foods I am eating, and am still losing, but was curious if I am hurting myself at all and should cut some protein out? Thanks for the help! :happy:

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Over on protein relative to what? Around 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to shoot for. The MFP default is exceptionally low...
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    protein is the one think that you SHOULD go over on! Also, MFP estimates are super low...i shoot for 40% of my daily goal and at least 100 g!
  • what are your stats?

weight, height, age, and activity per week...also if you have done a bodyfat analysis, whats the bf%? i can calculate the calories your body requires daily. keep in mind its in the ballpark, its never 100% accurate, but its a good starting point, and then you can cater your macros depending on your goals and your training from there! msg me if you have any questions
  • rach2287
    Options
    i try to take in 100 grams a day!!
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Over on protein relative to what? Around 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to shoot for. The MFP default is exceptionally low...

^^ This was what I've read as a good goal when you're strength training... ...I do not get that much but I've always been over what MFP tells me I should be at. ... usually way over.

protein in general keeps you feeling full longer ... my belief is any excess protein just gets pooped out ... and it may make you constipated if you're not keeping your water intake really high.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Every diet methodology has some critics. I tend to go heavy on protein as well to build muscle/lose weight.

If anyone criticizes, my response is that it is still better than obesity.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The problem is usually we don't eat *enough* protein - I target 180g a day and still lost 50 pounds. It's difficult to eat that much without powder supplements.

Your body also is less efficient at using protein than carbohydrates, I think I've read that around 20% is lost to metabolism for protein, where it's more like 5% for carbs. So by shifting some calories into protein, you're automatically reducing the effective calories going into your body.
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Protein is good - it'll help you build muscle which will keep you lean and strong in the long term. I wouldn't worry about being over on protein. Like others on here I changed my protein settings because I felt the protein requirements were way too low - I'm aiming for about 1g per lean pound of bodymass because I do a fair amount of exercise and I don't want to lose muscle.
  • Princess41463
    Princess41463 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good timing on this question. I just started working out with a personal trainer and she told me she wanted me to consume 125 g of protein, 150 g of carbs and 30 g of fat a day...and even using the manual goal system I couldn't get MFP to accept the numbers ... I was afraid I hired the wrong trainer. Knowing that the MFP is exceptionally low puts my mind at ease now. :happy:
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Does anyone have any thoughts on if too much protein is bad or not condusive to weight loss? I eat a lot of protein it seems, as I am always over on it. I eat greek yogurt in my morning smoothies, chicken, etc. I love the foods I am eating, and am still losing, but was curious if I am hurting myself at all and should cut some protein out? Thanks for the help! :happy:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss
  • lscott62
    lscott62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    so glad you ask this question! I am loving the replies too. I am always over and eat alot of what you mentioned. i just started MFP but when I focused on clean eating it was 33% of each, protein, fats, carbohydrates. I think you are doing fine.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor nor nutritionist, but I read a lot!

I do believe that MFP's chart of fat, protein, carbs, etc, is a recommendation. I am absolutely finding that by keeping to just under total calories, I am being very successful.
    I eat mostly vegetarian, so I am always over on carbs and under on protein, but I'm ok with that.

Do keep in mind that protein, especially animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, dairy), is high in calories and the only nutrients you get from it is protein and B vitamins. There is way more nutrition (vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients) and way fewer calories in vegetables. So why not eat more in volume/weight each day to keep you feeling full longer, while maintining your daily calories?

Contrary to popular belief, you will not lose muscle mass if you eat less protein each day ... unless perhaps you are an elite athlete.

This article talks about link between too much meat and diabetes: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-pooled-data-from-12-different-studies-high-meat-intake-increases-diabetes-risk.html

The entire www.diseaseproof.com website has great articles and resources.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey,
    -- Lisa
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Do keep in mind that protein, especially animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, dairy), is high in calories and the only nutrients you get from it is protein and B vitamins.

LOL
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor nor nutritionist, but I read a lot!

I do believe that MFP's chart of fat, protein, carbs, etc, is a recommendation. I am absolutely finding that by keeping to just under total calories, I am being very successful.
    I eat mostly vegetarian, so I am always over on carbs and under on protein, but I'm ok with that.

Do keep in mind that protein, especially animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, dairy), is high in calories and the only nutrients you get from it is protein and B vitamins. There is way more nutrition (vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients) and way fewer calories in vegetables. So why not eat more in volume/weight each day to keep you feeling full longer, while maintining your daily calories?

Contrary to popular belief, you will not lose muscle mass if you eat less protein each day ... unless perhaps you are an elite athlete.

This article talks about link between too much meat and diabetes: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-pooled-data-from-12-different-studies-high-meat-intake-increases-diabetes-risk.html

The entire www.diseaseproof.com website has great articles and resources.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey,
    -- Lisa

Um, what???

*sigh*
  • kristina815
    Options
    Aim for about 1g per lb of body weight but keep in mind that the female body can only digest about 20-30 grams of protein per 3-4 hour eating block....
  • Boosier3
    Boosier3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lisa,

I rarely ever eat red meat, I get my protein from greek yogurt, egg beaters, almonds and the chicken I eat. I also eat a lot of vegetables and take a daily vitamin. I don't think I need to eat more food, as I am always satisfied and quite honestly I love the protein packed foods, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a reason I shouldn't eat foods laden with a lot of protein.
  • luckystar8131
    Options
    Yes the protein is super low. I started seeing a trainer and he uses this site and he adjusted all my intake stuff. I am lower on carbs at 100 per day and high in protein at about 170 a day. My calories are at 1600. I used to go over on protein ALL the time and now I hardly can get to where I should be. It's very hard but you aren't going to over do it when it comes to protein.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was on a site that says you take your weight in pounds and multiply that by .37 and that number is the MINIMUM amount you should eat in protein per day.

EX. I weigh 187 so 187x.37= 69 minimum grams per day. If you do strength and weights during your workout routine, then you should consumer more. Depending on your body weight, I would suggest 100 grams as a good goal an wouldn't consider that excessive.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't think there's such a thing as "too much protein"