1st Zumba class!

Options
I just finished my first Zumba class this morning. It was *@&%$@$ hard for me but I stuck with it and did the full 60 minutes. I went to Zumba Calories http://www.zumbacalories.com and used the calculator to see how many calories I burned for my weight 271 lbs.. Was amazed could I really have burned over 800 calories? If so, I'll be at a class tomorrow again, it gotta get easier because it couldn't get any harder than today!

Replies

• AliR105
    AliR105 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    zumba is amazing!! i go twice a week at the gym and love it. ive also got zumba fitness on the wii and its good too but nowhere near as good as going to class. i know its hard but because its so fun the difficulty doesnt matter to me. im always smiling throughout the entire session :)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've lost 60 lbs taking/teaching the classes :)
  • Natz_20
    Natz_20 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    well done you!

Zumba is ace I love it and go to two classes a week hoping to increase this in the next few weeks!

Also want to try Bokwa so will let everyone know how i got on!!

Feel free to add me x
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've lost 60 lbs taking/teaching the classes :)

I've seen it at the gym I just started going to, but I'm afraid to try it just yet... and I have bad knees. What's your opinion?
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I never believe what they say about how many calories. Is is based on the average person who muddles through the routines (cause zumba is fast paced and difficult to follow), or the pro who does it perfectly with the most energy input, or the old lady who may know the routine, but doesn't put 100% bounce into it? There are too many varients to be able to say how many calories are burnt.

The only thing that will tell you for sure is a pulse rate monitor which you can input your data and reads your heart rate during the class. They aren't too expensive, i think you can pick one up with a chest strap for around £20.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile -- I've never taken a Zumba class. When I'm at the gym and there's a Zumba class in session, I find myself drawn to peek. Working up the courage . . . .

Signed,

Two Left Feet (aka No 'freakin Coordination)

P.S.: Keep on shaking!
  • hermanaamber
    hermanaamber Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, that website is pretty accurate - and I'd put myself in the first category of trying my best to muddle through the session.
  • Zoey290
    Zoey290 Posts: 13
    Options
    hahaah...to 2 left feet! I hated my first class...didnt know what I was doing at all. BUT now that is ALL I do at the gym! Still love me some old school Turbo Jam at home tho!!
  • jdbeckers
    Options
    I also have no coordination, I suck at dancing...which is why I have never tried zumba. It does look fun though!
  • Rory48
    Rory48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there, it gets easier and its fun!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba, it's awesome burns a ton of calories and it's FUN!! What more can you want ppl?!?
  • TattoodTemptress
    Options
    Awwww congrats to you on your first class and here's to many more ........ I LOVE Zumba and do 3 60 min classes a week now ......the calories burned are pretty awesome too huh?
    Well done xxx
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving!! I have never gone to a class but do it on my Ps3, Soooo much fun!!!
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Options
    I go to a gym where they do Zumba nearly daily! I've yet to work up the courage to do it, but everyone I talk to says it's so much fun and quite the workout. I just need to get over my fear and bust in there like I own the joint. ;)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! I'd recommend invest in a good heart rate monitor then you'll know for sure how many calories you are burning. I FINALLY got a new battery for mine.

Keep up the great work!
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and I could have written a lot of it (although I'm a smaller female)! I work from home, had the low point with my clothes not fitting, and my weakness is lunch out (everyday) with friends.

You have come to the best place for help. MFP is wonderful. Good luck to you.

Lanna 74

P.S. Do you have a Scottish accent?? Where in Scotland are you (or family) originally from?
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile -- I've never taken a Zumba class. When I'm at the gym and there's a Zumba class in session, I find myself drawn to peek. Working up the courage . . . .

Signed,

Two Left Feet (aka No 'freakin Coordination)

P.S.: Keep on shaking!

This is me. I'm scared! The group fitness room at my gym is on the second floor and the back of the room overlooks the weight area, so even if I stay at the back, I still won't be able to avoid embarrassment! It terrifies me! (But I'm hanging out on the elliptical looking in there and watching the class like a creeper!)

Signed,

Zumba Creeper
  • royalstewart13
    Options
    I felt the same way but the instructor was very supportive and so were the other paticipants in the class. They even gave me applause for making it the full hour. I definitely was intimidated as I was the only guy in the class and everyone was 20 years or more younger than me. Once it was over it was worth it and did the best I could which was very good at all. You certainly can do it! Give it a try!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    me too I'm a spaz ..nursing a broken knee cap now from slipping on the floor (it wasn't even wet) a girl I worked with dropped ton's of weight doing Zumba I didn't realize you there were videos I'll have to check that out.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    I wish zumba did that for me... My gym doesn't have a "fast paced" zumba class. it is only for beginners so they don't get too crazy and my heart rate never gets very high... I think I peaked 145 lol