exercising while sick...?

Options
I'm feeling a cold coming on today, and have been battling a sore throat since yesterday morning. I'm low on energy, but still feel like I could work out (I didn't yesterday because I was feeling super icky). Is there any truth to the "sweating out the virus" myth? I'm thinking a good cardio workout might help me kick my cold? Or will it make it worse?

Replies

• shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a cold coming on today, and have been battling a sore throat since yesterday morning. I'm low on energy, but still feel like I could work out (I didn't yesterday because I was feeling super icky). Is there any truth to the "sweating out the virus" myth? I'm thinking a good cardio workout might help me kick my cold? Or will it make it worse?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    not sure the whole truth on this but I do know when Im not feeling well I continue to work out and get over it fairly quickly..as far as a cold I havent had one in like 6yrs but I would think as long as you keep hydrated and feel ok working out wouldnt be so bad...
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In my experience - I have to be pretty darn sick to miss a work-out completely, but I don't push myself when I exercise while I'm sick, either. Just listen to your body and stop if you feel worse instead of better.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Good Question !! I was feeling sick all weekend and the beginning of this week and I still pushed through and managed to get my 2.5 hours of exercise in and guess what its Thursday and I am not sick anymore.I think I sweated all of my cold out LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: Push yourself but if you need a little break in between it won't hurt.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    There's no truth to sweating it out.. however don't do too much and wear out your body completely so it can't fight the cold. Listen to your body.

I've been fighting a cold the last few days, pretty nasty one, and the first day I worked out and it exhausted me and I ended up taking a nap in the afternoon... which really helped. The next 2 days i worked out without pushing too hard and I've been fine. I'm not getting over it faster, but it's not getting worse either.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    And yes I do believe you can sweat it out because I feel a whole lot better now than I did at the beginning of this week because I exercised and sweat like crazy.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    however if your gym has a dry sauna, get your butt in there. germs cannot culture (grow) at that temperature, and it gives your white blood cells a chance to kick some *kitten*. every time I feel a cold coming on, I go sit in there for 30 min, and poof! the cold is gone in un der a day-