Joined a gym and now gained weight....

Options
2»

Replies

• Aril
    Aril Posts: 66
    Options
    wow, thanks dragonladey for posting this up, i was about to ask the very same question because my measurements are definitely going down but the scale... THE SCALE WONT BUDGE!! Its annoying because you know you need the reassurance of the scale. I'm eating about 1500calories everyday and since my job doesnt allow time for a focus time in gym my workout is spread throughout the day, half an hour in the morning and half an hour 9pm is my "official" workout time.

i'm the opposite, i'm confident and self-assured, thinking i'm "thin" but i'm actually not (especially when proven by a photo) hahaha. i sooo need to kick myself more and remind myself by staring at those horrible photos!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i would just go by actual inches not the scale. i know everytime i get on the scale (not often at all) my weight stays the same. However, my clothes are getting bigger, so I know I'm loosing inches. :smile:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    First I want to say that it takes a long time to build muscle and you really can't build it on a serious calorie deficit... so it isn't likely that your bulking up under the layer of fat. BUT... what does happen when someone starts a weight routine is that the muscles start hoarding water for a while. So the added weight you have gained might be your muscles retaining water. It can take up to a month of a steady routine for this added bulk to go away as your muscles start getting used to the strenuous work. It's weird, I know... and some people don't experience this at all. But a lot of people do, and that's why they immediately get discouraged when the scale goes up after starting a new routine. Give your body time to adjust and stick with it. Eventually, you will start seeing the scale go the other direction.

Second, cutting your calories even lower than they already are might not work for you... I started on 1200 cals - lost my first 12 lbs in just a couple weeks, then I hit a standstill. For two weeks, my weight would not budge. I had become more active and my body needed more fuel that I was giving it, so it wasn't letting go of the fat. Long story short, I am eating 1400 calories per day now and I'm back to losing. You may actually need to increase in order to lose.
  • dragonladey
    Options
    Thanks Miso. I never thought about the water retention. I try not to cut my calories below 1200. With my excersise I usually have about 1000 excersise calories a day. I cannot eat 2200 calories in one day anymore so I try to make sure I get at least 1500 now. My scale actually started going the right direction today. So I know I have finally found my routine but I have to make sure Im not starving either. Thanks for the advice.