Those of you who have been successful .. question!

Options
This may be a silly question, but did losing weight give you more energy? I feel constantly tired. Granted, I have a 1 month old and a 22 month old, plus I am the editor of a magazine, so I am constantly working late nights; however, I am hoping after dropping the weight I want to lose, I will have more energy.

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I felt tired, but was able to do more before feeling totally exhausted. Before exercising, i used to be tired, now its once i have done my exercising that i feel that tired!
  • nichtvollschlank
    Options
    Yes! A lot more! Good luck, you sound like one busy mama :)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Definately alot more energy. It's easier to wake up in the morning, I don't even need an alarm anymore, I still set one just in case. When I was heavy, around 2 or 3 oclock, I would be feeling tired which could be dangerous seeing a lot of my job was driving from customer to customer, I can't remember the last time I felt like that.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! When I was 100 pounds heavier I never wanted to do anything physical and if I did I usually took a nap afterward. I think that some of it is mind over matter, when you are healthy you want to stay healthy and you know the feeling of exhilaration that you get from exercise, so you look for opportunities to feel that way. I definitely have more energy now, I like the healthy lifestyle, I like working out...and I like a piece of cake and a nap now and then, but indulgences won't rule my life now.
  • pwmccall
    Options
    The first few weeks, adjusting to the lower calories, I was exhausted all the time. As I started to shed a few pounds, I began to have more energy.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Right away? no because even though I was losing weight I was changing my activity level and exercise amount etc and felt much more tired sometimes.

Overall now (18months later) ABSOLUTELY!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!!!!!! I can play on the floor, play ball and lots of other things COMFORTABLY with my little grandkids now.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're eating back all of your exercise calories if you're working out -- the times when I've felt exhausted were the times when I intensified my workout and then a few days later, crashed. Usually I just needed to up my calories more consistently to fuel what I was doing.

The lighter you get, and the more you are able to do in your workouts, the more fuel you'll need. Just make sure you'd don't starve those muscles.

Good luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES YES YES.

I was 26 when I started and I honestly felt closer to having those numbers reverse at 62. I felt tired, and achy, and my joints hurt, and it was just awful.

Eating nutritious foods and exercising regularly made a HUGE difference (and also drastically improved my depression symptoms as well).

Oh, and I am now 27 and feel closer to 18.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but did losing weight give you more energy? I feel constantly tired. Granted, I have a 1 month old and a 22 month old, plus I am the editor of a magazine, so I am constantly working late nights; however, I am hoping after dropping the weight I want to lose, I will have more energy.

Oh man I hear ya! I had a 5 month old and an 18 month old, plus a 7 yr old and a 8 yr old the first time I really tried to lose weight-I felt SO much better after losing 25 pounds! I also had to lose baby weight again when I had an infant and two toddlers, plus a 9 and 10 yr old...I have to say though, the late nights might be hard on your body as well. Is there any way that you can try to get more rest as you start working on your health goals? I know, probably impossible, but just asking. It's hard to get enough rest with 2 little ones, nevermind other responsibilities too! :flowerforyou: Do you have a time of day that you can fit a workout in a couple of times per week? The first couple of weeks will be tough as your body gets used to it, but it does get easier.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It did take me two or three weeks of adjusting to exercising more and eating less crap. During that time I was very tired and slept a lot. But ever since then I feel so much better. I have much, much more energy than when I was heavier (and more sedentary). Now I look for excuses to get in more physical activity rather than ways to avoid it.
  • kristikay52
    kristikay52 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, although it won't happen in the beginning! My body was adjusting to fewer calories and I felt tired and starving all the time. I'm only 29 but my knees and back hurt constantly. But I really think exercise was what turned things around for me. Now when I DON"T exercise, I can tell a difference in the way I feel.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I have more energy now than at the beginning of the journey.... In addition to the benefits of weight loss and exercise, I believe one thing that made a BIG difference was dumping soda/caffeine by the end of April. Since that time, I drink water and sobe lifewater pretty much exclusively. Caffeine gives a temporary high, but you also crash. You don't need it. You will feel better if you wean yourself off of it.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the losing weight that gave me energy, it was cleaning up my diet & exercising regularly that did it. Work out to improve your health/fitness & eat to fuel your workouts, & the fat will have no choice but to come off.
  • lindseyrobbins
    lindseyrobbins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there any way that you can try to get more rest as you start working on your health goals? I know, probably impossible, but just asking. It's hard to get enough rest with 2 little ones, nevermind other responsibilities too! :flowerforyou: Do you have a time of day that you can fit a workout in a couple of times per week? The first couple of weeks will be tough as your body gets used to it, but it does get easier.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about, as I know how important rest is to achieve optimal health. Since I do have a 1 month old, I'm not sure that it's going to be possible right away, as she is waking every couple of hours to eat, but that should taper off soon. My husband and I actually started 30 Day Shred a few days ago, so we've been doing that at night as soon as we get the two little ones settled in. I also have a gym membership and plan on trying to squeeze in a couple of extra workouts in a week as soon as my doctor clears me at my 6 week post-partum check-up.

Thanks for the responses everyone else - they have been so inspiring!! That is really one of my main motivations for losing weight - gaining back my energy. I am naturally a very productive person, but I feel like the weight is literally weighing down my natural tendency to accomplish everything I need/want to accomplish.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Definitely. Think of the excess weight you were carrying around as one of those weighted vests. You wore that thing all day/night, now it's off, think of how much lighter you'd feel and how much easier it is to just do daily activities. As long as you are eating sufficient calories (i.e. 1000-1200+) you should feel more energetic. Plus, when you start seeing the results on the scale/the fit of your clothes, you should definitely have a little more bounce in your step.
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks, adjusting to the lower calories, I was exhausted all the time. As I started to shed a few pounds, I began to have more energy.
    this makes me happy to read! i have felt so tired this week after starting back on my exercise regime and stuff... wasn't sure if i was just doing something wrong! (:
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have more energy, sleep better, have less back pain, have fewer migraines, and less heartburn.

this was after losing 90 pounds - not the measly six show in my ticker, lol.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Also want to add. While one may think exercising would make you tired, you'll find that after doing it regularly, you have MORE energy. Even now, when I'm close to goal, I have way more energy on the days I get up early (515am) and workout than on the days that I sleep in and skip the workout.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!