How to spice up carrots?

Options
Okay, I have a pretty basic question, what do you guys like to dip your carrots in? Or season them with? I guess, in general, how do you eat your carrots?
I am not a big fan of carrots, I love almost all veggies, but I've never really liked the taste of carrots. I want to eat them though, because I know they're a great vegetable and have lots of health benefits. Any suggestions?

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    hummus, fat free cream cheese, fat free honey dijon dressing
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    curried carrot soup so yummy!! Boil carrots and mash them in the water they were cooked in, mix in salt and pepper and add cream or coconut milk!! YummY!!!!
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    Garlic hummus or fat free ranch.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Bleu cheese :blushing:
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I like to eat them raw without dipping them into anything. Maybe if you steam them you'll prefer the flavor? You don't have to cook them all the way, but they are pretty awesome after a light steam.
    You can add any spice to Greek yogurt and make a healthy dip from it.
    I'm also a huge advocate of fresh carrot juice. It is sweet and much easier to consume then a bag of carrots.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    You can cut them into thin strip's which is kind of time consuming and then saute them in a little bit of oil (if you can't fit the calories in with oil) you can always use cooking spray every time I pan cook them they come out sweet and delicious!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots in hummus! Yum! My favorite way to eat them!

My favorite way to eat cooked carrots? Drunken Carrots. Haha! These were named by my hubby's late grandmother. And she did love them.

2 pounds carrots, sliced thin or cut julienne

2 tbsp butter or olive oil

1/4 cup sweet vermouth OR white wine - both are delicious

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 tbsp chopped parsley for garnish

Heat a frying pan and add carrots and butter or oil. Saute' until they just begin to brown. Add the vermouth and simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Stir them often. Check for salt and pepper. Little should be needed. Garnish with parsley.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love eating baby carrots dipped in spicy Mexican sauce that a couple of restaurants here in California carry. That and red pepper hummus....

And I am going to try that Carrot soup mentioned on here!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Another recipe that I love and grew up eating is carrot salad with sprouted mung bean. High in protein and a very filling snack.

Shred 4 cups of carrots and mix with 1/2 cup sprouted mung bean.
    Add some lemon juice, salt and pepper.
    Garnish with thai green chillies that are finely chopped and cilantro!

And voila! :o)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love them raw and plain too. :)
  • viever03
    viever03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep em comin, haha. I'm definitely going to try a bunch of these out. :)
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    My fav. cooked is with honey and dill weed!

My fav. raw is ranch (yeah yeah i know... pointless... but so good!)
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    I cut them into chunks (don't even need to peel, just wash them first), toss with olive oil, salt/petter, and roast @ 400 for about an hour. I love raw carrots with hummus too.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Make an oven steam pouch (wrap em in foil) with carrots, fresh grated ginger, lemon, garlic, and a little olive oil...really good. I also will steam them with garlic and lemon. I really like to munch on them plain too though. Another option is to juice them and put into smoothies with fruit

(added) Oh and another option - take a bunch of root vegetables (carrots, white beets, parsnips, turnups, etc and put them in the oven steam pouch too)
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When you're making a salad, grate them. I find it works better with the texture of a salad (carrots are typically the hardest vegetable in a salad...)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eat the carrot " crinkled chips " every day dipped in 1 TBSP of Whole Foods Honey Roasted Peanut Butter ! OMG is it AMAZING ! I crave this every day and always look forward to my snack time !

Crazy as this may sound ... the size and cut of a carrot make a huge difference in the taste ! Try the one's that are cut like chips and see if you like that taste better. Also Carrots are wonderful sauteed in Olive Oil with fresh Garlic ! Mmmmm ... Damn, now I want my PB and Carrots ! LOL ! :laugh:
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you like tuna? I add chopped up carrots to a mix of tuna, a dab of mayo w/ olive oil, salt and pepper. Gives the tuna mixture a nice crunch and adds volume without a lot of calories. Plus I get in a serving of vegetables!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like to roast them with olive oil, salt, pepper, dill, and cayenne. Nommmmm.
  • Hola723
    Options
    Do you like tuna? I add chopped up carrots to a mix of tuna, a dab of mayo w/ olive oil, salt and pepper. Gives the tuna mixture a nice crunch and adds volume without a lot of calories. Plus I get in a serving of vegetables!
  • Hola723
    Options
    Sorry about the double post!