Oh the Irony……. Paula Dean

Options
Disclaimer: this is not a confirmed story

Paula Dean has diabetes?????
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/13/paula-deen-diabetes_n_1204325.html?ref=food

just read this and thought about all the times I watch her and think i could have diabetes just watching that her yummy deliciousness. Not to be insensitive and I hope she gets better and I hope this shows people that eating certain foods has consequences.

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    She just needs to modify her eating and make her cooking shows low carb for the reversal of Diabetes.

Major win for her if she can and wants to make that lifestyle change. That is entirely up to her.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I happen to watch her on Dr Oz and she was borderline at that time.........she was definitely aware of her health at that time, also, shes a smoker........she admitted to smoking and that she cant give it up....
    she better be careful, she is suseptable to a heart condition , as she is a little overweight , and now her diabetes .........gotta stay on the ball and stay focused or its going to be hell when you get old................Lloyd
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    maybe she can turn this into something positive. and I also hopes she points out that her cooking is partly responsible for it.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Such a great personality and fun to watch though. She seems like lots of fun.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Awwww.......That's not good. Her food is amazing!!! That's why I don't eat it!:ohwell:
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Awwww.......That's not good. Her food is amazing!!! That's why I don't eat it!:ohwell:

Ha! Same here. I looked up some sort of amazing french toast recipe made with a hunk of real french bread and drenched in heavy cream, sugar, butter... I was going to save it to my recipe folder in Evernote but sadly just let it go... LOL. Why torture myself?
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Such a great personality and fun to watch though. She seems like lots of fun.

She is fun. I live in Savannah so I see her quite a bit downtown. Every time you see her she's always super cheerful and energetic.

Haven't heard anything confirming or denying the diabetes on the news but then again, I wouldn't. I don't watch it.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    it is confirmed. She's going to be promoting a Diabetic medication soon.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Poor Paula... I figures that it would be a matter of time... She does cook with a LOT of butter... so all that butter is not good for her either.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Oh I love Paula Dean! I'm a Food Network addict LOL... but this does not surprise me. Hopefully she will be alright.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Love Paula Deen and love her recipes.....so does my butt, my thighs, my tummy etc. Sadly most of her recipes are pushed to the back burner and only for special occasions. She is a terrific and beautiful person. I hate to hear this news about her.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh everytime I flip by her on the food channel there is a stick of butter and heavy cream in the recipe.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    just add a stick of butter!
  • jessieo387
    jessieo387 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    She is going to be talking about it on the Today show Tuesday - she still has not said if she does or does not have it.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love her son's new show...he takes Paula's recipes and modifies them so they are a lot healthier!
  • mizzcase
    Options
    This woman, and the food she cooks, is disgusting. I live in Savannah and pass by her crappy restaurant all the time-- none of the locals would get within 10 feet of the garbage she tries to pass off as southern cuisine. People in the know head to Mrs. Wilkes. Don't forget she is a chain smoker. I saw that she had diabetes and it was one of those "Hate to say it, but I told ya so" moments.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I just have to say....butter does not cause diabetes! All that baking and sugar and carbs causes diabetes. Fat does not raise blood sugar at all. Just carbs and sugars, that's why low carb works so well for diabetics.

Okay, got that off my chest.
  • suchick
    suchick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anthony Bourdain is LOL'ing !
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I just have to say....butter does not cause diabetes! All that baking and sugar and carbs causes diabetes. Fat does not raise blood sugar at all. Just carbs and sugars, that's why low carb works so well for diabetics.

Okay, got that off my chest.

I tend to wanna agree with you on this. No, it's not all the butter she throws into her bowls of sugar & flour.... it's the sugar & flour & fried foods. I love real butter and won't use anything but organic, unsalted butter.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Poor Paula... I figures that it would be a matter of time... She does cook with a LOT of butter... so all that butter is not good for her either.

The butter and heavy cream is not the issue. It is the flour, sugar and such that is bad for her and led to this.