Natural vs. lowfat

Options
ishallnotwant
ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
It seems there are several different "camps" on MFP regarding foods. In particular, natural vs. lowfat seems to come into play often. Some people enjoy eating natural, unprocessed foods, and others prefer eating low-fat, processed "diet" foods. I imagine there are some who are kind of in the middle and enjoy both. (I think i'm more of a natural person but I do enjoy processed foods sometimes.)

Anyways, I was just wondering how the line falls...are there more natural eaters here, or more lowfat eaters?

Which method of eating do you prefer, and why?

Oh, and what is that phrase i've seen around here a few times..."If you can't grow it, or raise it..." somethin somethin-I can't remember it but it looked like a great quote! lol!

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I prefer a smaller amount of the real thing usually, but i'd say I also enjoy both
    I find "diet" versions of things either don't taste as good or don't fill me up. That being said I still have diet decaf pepsi as a treat (I haven't seen any decaf non-diet pepsi so that's my only choice).
    But especially things like yogurt, the low fat yogurt tends to leave me feeling hungry still. I just eat vanilla greek yogurt now and enjoy it. Cheese, i'm sorry but "light" cheese tastes NOTHING like the full fat good stuff.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole foods and if I eat fat it's good fat (coconut oil/butter/milk, avocado, olive oil, walnuts, almonds, etc. I do eat the 0% Greek yogurts but I think I could get away with the 2% occasionally. I don't buy processed diet foods. If I want a snack or sweet I eat the real thing and move on.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat whole or natural foods, but sometimes it's a matter of convenience. Most of your typical "diet" foods are loaded with sodium and typically have at least a few ingredients that are pretty tough to even pronounce.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I eat everything... some things more (I do happen to like salad, veg, fruits and quark/frommage frais...) sometimes will eat low fat sometimes will eat full fat. My stomach seems to be coping better with less fat. I try to cook from scratch ever so often, but will use the occasional ready made product (fish in a bag for example)...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed whole foods keep me satisfied and full longer. Plus, all the fats are generally good fats and things you need. I keep some lower fat things around in the sweets department because thats what I crave and Id rather have a lighter alternative if Im going to splurge.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more healthy food then junk but really I am just redusing my Cals