Olive Oil Warning

Options

Replies

• Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Lady. EVERYTHING IS SCAMMED.
    Humanity took a real dive when we decided to lie about food...

Check your labels.
  • veronicarose
    veronicarose Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Shoechick Yea, I just looked it up and you are right, I think I just heard the information wrong the first time around. But yea, my olive oil was definitely not olive oil, which really surprised me.

@Steve I'm thinking it was Foodmatters, and here's the website: http://www.foodmatters.tv/
    BUT at the time I was on a mass documentary spree, and I also watched some episodes of How Stuff Works among other things. But I'm pretty confident it was in Foodmatters.

**** yeah for netflix and food matters! great movie.
  • Sonny71
    Sonny71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    absolutely - I get such a headache thinking about what is safe to eat.. or breathe for that matter.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    On Canola oil, there is much debate I guess. I eat it and also 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I came across this article when I was told about Canola OIl being bad. However, the Mayo Clinic believes otherwise. We can debate forever if its good or bad. I take the information I read on the internet very with caution and eat the best I can. I get annoyed at "experts" when one day things are really good for us and then the next they become really bad. So, I approach it carefully and eat the best I can.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281

This is the answer from the doctor at the Mayo Clinic:

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Health concerns about canola oil that are being circulated on the Internet are unfounded.

Misinformation about the safety of canola oil may stem from the fact that, years ago, oil was produced from the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. The canola plant was developed by natural crossbreeding from the rapeseed plant. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants. Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid.

Canola oil is generally recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration. In fact, canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat, so it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    dang can't trust nothing to be what it is supposed to be these days!!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Fine Print FTL!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I completely agree with you. It's really a sad thing that we do not question where our food comes from, much less what it contains.

I think it's sadder that we HAVE to question our food and where it comes from. So much food prep and processing is being done in distant lands. Just buy local. For olive oil, that could be tough though.

Also, just from a health perspective, there's nothing wrong with a canola oil blend.
    I think its sad we have to question our food as well. I think it should be illegal to misrepresent foods also. And I think its ridiculous that our governments standards are so low and allow so many twists and turns.
    And relaly why should we have to look at the ingredients on a bottle that says olive oil on the front....we should be getting olive oil. But still I say check EVERYTHING!!
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Adina81
    Options
    WAIT! WHAT ABOUT:

BECEL OLIVE OIL
    INGREDIENTS: 84% CANOLA/ 8% OLIVE / 8 VEG OILS?

I know it lie about being 'olive oil' with only 8% rooting for it....but since its margrine is it still worrisome?!
    I am staring at the garbage can right now....
  • Adina81
    Options
    ****. I think i just converted back to butter.
  • just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    So what do you use rather than canola oil or veg oil to cook with? I can't find coconut oil at my local grocery store ??
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So what do you use rather than canola oil or veg oil to cook with? I can't find coconut oil at my local grocery store ??

You can get coconut oil at health food stores or buy it from Amazon.com or Tropical Traditions. I use both
    Tropical Traditions and Nutiva.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Gotta love Wegman's. 100% extra virgin olive oil on their house brands!

And my bf laughs at me when I claim the thought of moving out of Wegman's range gives me the vapors....
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My olive oil doesn't say. I got it at our local produce store.

@Adina81- We just finished out "olive oil" margarine . It's so hard to chose when there are so many options. I thought I was getting the best kind but maybe not..
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

You can get coconut oil at health food stores or buy it from Amazon.com or Tropical Traditions. I use both
    Tropical Traditions and Nutiva.

Tropical Traditions has great sales and offers. Sign up for their newsletter.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you are going to look up any type of articles look for.......org...........gov........edu these sites are reliable, some are peer reviewed on the other site such as .com are not checked for correctness
  • rodneypierce
    rodneypierce Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You guys can all solve your olive oil issues by buying Great Value 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is just that, 100% olive oil. And best of all, its priced pretty cheap! Its all we use, and I love it.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're getting your data from but REAL olive oil is certainly cold pressed.

Is the bottle supposed to say cold pressed? I checked mine and it says Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The ingredients only have olive oil listed as well, but no where on the bottle does it say cold pressed.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor told me that Canola oil ( Canada oil) is genetically engineered rapeseed oil. rapeseed oil is toxic. They genetically engineer it to make it safe for human consumption. I use olive oil. I have never used canola oil so have not researched the topic.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're getting your data from but REAL olive oil is certainly cold pressed.

Is the bottle supposed to say cold pressed? I checked mine and it says Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The ingredients only have olive oil listed as well, but no where on the bottle does it say cold pressed.

It's not all cold pressed. But if it is cold pressed, it usually says so on the bottle. I'm thinking that if it's not, then they're not going to advertise that fact.