Combining Cardio and Strength Training

Options
If I am going to do both in one day, back to back, does it matter what I do first. I have always been under the impression you need to warm up your muscles first, so you should do cardio first. But then I'm afraid I might be too beat to do any more. Your suggestions?

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    If I am going to do both in one day, back to back, does it matter what I do first. I have always been under the impression you need to warm up your muscles first, so you should do cardio first. But then I'm afraid I might be too beat to do any more. Your suggestions?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 5-10 minute warm up of arms and legs, do my strength training then cardio.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I was told to do a warm up then strength then cardio - something about something your liver secrets during strength - it was beyond me but I took the suggestion for what order.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's best to warm up for 5 - 10 minutes by doing some form of cardio and then moving onto your weights and then finish off with your cardio.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I just read this in my fitness magazine-- They said if you are trying to lose weight to do your cardio first to burn the most calories then finish your workout off with weight training

but if you are trying to just tone up then do your strength first then finish off with cardio--

Regardless if you decide to do weights first warm up a bit first-

Me personally prefer to do cardio first- I burn WAAAAAAAY less calories when I hit the weights first then do cardio--Which pisses me off (excuse my language because I like to burn a min of 500 calories before leaving the gym)

Now if I do my cardio first then do weights I can get more calories burned but thats just me- Try it both ways and stick to which ever you prefer---
  • faylou
    faylou Posts: 89
    Options
    I do my cardio first.... I like to warm up my muscels then cool down slowly with my weights and strength training.
    :happy:
    Just a thought.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I do cardio then strength. If I don't then I don't have the energy for the cardio. Good luck!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I agree with, if you are trying to lose fat, cardio first. If toning, Weights first. There is a thread where Fitness Chick posted an article about weights or cardio first.