orville redenbacher is a liar.

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
I'm pretty good in math, I was a math major. I'm also good at reading nutrition labels. But Orville Redenbacher is ~screwing~ with my head right now and I can't, for the life of me, see where my thinking is flawed. To me, this label is flat out wrong.

Amount Per Serving = "1 cup popped"
Servings Per Bag = "2.5"
Serving Size = "2 tbsp unpopped (makes 4 cups popped)"

WTF? I'm pretty sure 1 cup doesn't equal 4 cups.

How can Amount Per Serving ~not equal~ Serving Size? How much is in a freaking serving? 1 cup or 4 cups?

What am I missing?

Replies

• LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this hurt the right side of my brain! ;) But yeah, Orville you are messed up!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The popped and unpopped values mess me up too. WTF who eats raw popcorn ..... I know a pop 7.5 cup bag of the Smart Pop is only like 150 calories for the entire bag popped thou
  • _snw_
    Options
    The popped and unpopped values mess me up too. WTF who eats raw popcorn ..... I know a pop 7.5 cup bag of the Smart Pop is only like 150 calories for the entire bag popped thou

which could totally be true. but if a serving of unpopped is 2 tbsp (which makes 4 cups) the amount per serving magically becomes 25% of that? Then the unpopped serving size should be 1/2 Tbsp. heh. orvile sucks.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

which could totally be true. but if a serving of unpopped is 2 tbsp (which makes 4 cups) the amount per serving magically becomes 25% of that? Then the unpopped serving size should be 1/2 Tbsp. heh. orvile sucks.

thats why I eat more cotton candy than popcorn .... takes out the guesswork
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Maybe because not every kernal pops? Maybe....oh crap, I don't know, but I feel the same way. I just take the higher number of calories. Act II does the same.
  • _snw_
    Options
    Maybe because not every kernal pops? Maybe....oh crap, I don't know, but I feel the same way. I just take the higher number of calories. Act II does the same.

i thought of that too - but the damned thing says how much popped corn it produces. Ugh. I totally just take the higher calories too - but i'm one of those annoying people who need to know the WHY behind something or it continues to bug the **** out of me.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    it sounds like a misprint. because if you pour the popped popcorn out and measure it, there is no way that it will give you 4 cups. remember sometimes the computer that stamps it does get glitches. it's probably just a typo. so next time pop a bag and then measure it and you will know for sure. lol!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I always just weigh out the popcorn once it's done. There's always a weight rather than volume measurement for the serving size!
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think it's done on purpose just to drive you mad! I know it drives me crazy.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good in math, I was a math major. I'm also good at reading nutrition labels. But Orville Redenbacher is ~screwing~ with my head right now and I can't, for the life of me, see where my thinking is flawed. To me, this label is flat out wrong.

Servings Per Bag = "2.5"

How can Amount Per Serving ~not equal~ Serving Size? How much is in a freaking serving? 1 cup or 4 cups?

What am I missing?

You have not seen the size of my teacup hun ^^
  • _snw_
    Options

Servings Per Bag = "2.5"

What am I missing?

heh. it took me a minute to get that. i thought you were referring to the guys t-bagging me at work yesterday.
  • _snw_
    Options
    I always just weigh out the popcorn once it's done. There's always a weight rather than volume measurement for the serving size!

Nope, orville don't play that way.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    16534.gif

There are things you just don`t need to know.
  • Carl01
    Options

Servings Per Bag = "2.5"

What am I missing?

heh. it took me a minute to get that. i thought you were referring to the guys t-bagging me at work yesterday.
    :noway:

You may want to edit or explain that a bit for those that missed the thread. :laugh:
  • _snw_
    Options

Servings Per Bag = "2.5"

What am I missing?

You may want to edit or explain that a bit for those that missed the thread. :laugh:

but it's way funnier without the explanation!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    buy the 100 calorie bags of smart pop.
    pop it. eat it. log 100 calories. done.

(I used to have the same confusion as you do)

(and I saw the tea bag thread...your male coworkers are hilarious but mean at the same time.)

(and Carl, it's not as bad as you imagine....lol)
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Hahahaha, no I think the teabags are normal sized... I totally forgot about that one, although it had me in stitches yesterday. I think you should give your dear colleague a collection of finest tea... bags ^^

Think Starbucks mega bucket mugs ^^
  • Carl01
    Options

but it's way funnier without the explanation!

When I read it I was going to ask "Are they hiring?" :tongue:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    pretty sure all popcorn labels are like that. i hate it too, hubby and i had a very long discussion about it one night lol i pretty much ignore the unpopped state and just measure out a serving after its all popped heh
  • _snw_
    Options
    pretty sure all popcorn labels are like that. i hate it too, hubby and i had a very long discussion about it one night lol i pretty much ignore the unpopped state and just measure out a serving after its all popped heh

But THAT is my exact question ---> They have TWO values for a "serving" - 4 cups vs 1 cup.