Heart Rate Monitor Question

Options
Polar FT4 Women's Heart Rate Monitor (color: Bronze)

Is this a heart rate monitor that will tell me how many calories I've burned during a workout?

I'm not very knowledgable in this area, but want to purchase one.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 in pink and it tells me the calories I burn.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yup it sure will. I just got one last week and it's the best purchase I've ever made where weight loss is concerned. I stay working longer and work harder when I get the instant feedback telling me it's making a difference. And I can turn housework into a workout just by wearing it and doing little jumps in between or skipping around instead of walking. Highly recommend it!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have the same one but in pink and it tells me what i burn.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    Yes, and I will add that you don't HAVE to get the women's model. My husband ordered me the man's Polar FT7 by mistake for Christmas, but after some research we realized the only difference was in the size and color options of the watch. When you set up the monitor, gender is one of the selections.

Have fun! I love using it.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Can you wear it while swimming?
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    yes you can wear it swimming...i love mine :-)
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use to have one but it wore out.. I love it. for the man who suggested to cal your self is not a sure thing... for it depends how hard i work or how little and it helps me to speed it or slow it down. Linda:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Mine is hit or miss with swimming, sometimes it works other times i get an error.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have the bronze FT4, love it and it calculates just fine.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. Yes, it tracks calories burned, but also allows you to set your target heart range, so you can make sure your heart rate stays within a healthy range for your age. I think of it as a safety device as well as a calorie counter. Best investment I have made for my health. I highly recommend it. You can get one on ebay for about $40.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I will add that you don't HAVE to get the women's model. My husband ordered me the man's Polar FT7 by mistake for Christmas, but after some research we realized the only difference was in the size and color options of the watch. When you set up the monitor, gender is one of the selections.

Have fun! I love using it.

Yes you can buy whichever 'gender' and it will still prompt you to program in your actual gender, so no problem if you buy the 'mens' version. But the FT7 is more expensive and has additional features that the FT4 does not have. I have the FT4 and my DH has the FT7 - his has the ability to sync up with the Polar website (after he bought the hardware accessory that reads the signal), mine does not. His shows 'fitness' and 'fat burning' zones whereas mine does not. And I believe there are other features that he has that I do not. I actually didn't even realize I was picking up the FT7 when I bought DH's, and after I got home I thought I'd overpaid until I realized it was a different model with more features. DH loves all the things he can track on the website.

Yes the FT4 gives a calorie estimate, that's the whole reason I bought it. LOL I feel like it seems to do a pretty good job. I have not tried it with swimming, I hear sometimes people have an issue with it losing signal so IDK.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, lol I think I just made up my mind- I'll get the polar ft4! lol have been trying to figure out what to buy for weeks already. Anyone know which stores I can buy it in rather than buying online?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, lol I think I just made up my mind- I'll get the polar ft4! lol have been trying to figure out what to buy for weeks already. Anyone know which stores I can buy it in rather than buying online?

If you have a Target nearby, they sell it for around $90. If you have any type of sporting goods store nearby, they may sell it at a better price. You could call around.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have that one and yes it will tell you, I love it. I bought mine off Amazon for $50 with free shipping.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 today from Amazon! I'm hoping it works well, reviews look good!