size 6 is the new plus size?!??

Options

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If 6 is the new plus size, i need to be hospitalized for dangerously obese!

DITTO!!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Our society has become seriously F&@ked
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Is it because size 6 today is bigger than size 6 from the 80's or 90's? Still, sounds a bit over the top to me.

Maybe marginally, so Cindy might wear a size 4 now. But seriously, Cindy Crawford would have been limited to swimsuit modeling where the "curvy" people go. Runway is limited to the real hangers: people who are 5'9" and 110 pounds. Size zero is baggy on these models.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is it because size 6 today is bigger than size 6 from the 80's or 90's? Still, sounds a bit over the top to me.

Maybe marginally, so Cindy might wear a size 4 now. But seriously, Cindy Crawford would have been limited to swimsuit modeling where the "curvy" people go. Runway is limited to the real hangers: people who are 5'9" and 110 pounds. Size zero is baggy on these models.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I read something that crawford said about this. she was a size six in her prime. she said if ppl had a problem with it, stop buying the clothes and esp magazines that cater to it. i was shocked. she looked so hot! i am working TOWARDS size six, because of my boooty n' curves, I'd never get under, even in my way under weight teenage days when i did drugs a long time ago, i got to a 3. thats as small as my bones go. So its kinda a mess i think. I think ppl should just focus on their "beautiful" weight. where they shine and look HEALTHY.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its new vanity sizing. My wife can't find clothes small enough.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Absolutely! My wedding dress in 1968 was a size 10 (I was 5'9" and weighed just under 130. My trim size 6 daughter (5'8" and weighing about 120-125) had trouble squeezing into my wedding dress. So I do believe that dress sizes have changed--a lot.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I don't know what the original source material was, but I have no idea how they could say a size six could be considered plus size.

Also, the models you're referring to may have been size sixes in the past, but sizing has changed as the population has gotten more overweight. What we used to call a size six, we now probably call around a size two (I'm estimating).
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Absolutely! My wedding dress in 1968 was a size 10 (I was 5'9" and weighed just under 130. My trim size 6 daughter (5'8" and weighing about 120-125) had trouble squeezing into my wedding dress. So I do believe that dress sizes have changed--a lot.

I DID NOT KNOW THIS!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    What it means is that models who are size 6 are considered plus size models. So, in other words, it's totally unrealistic in the sense that 1) they're telling those poor girls that they are fat and 2) "regular" size clothing models are only going to continue getting thinner and unhealthier.
    The article is very interesting. It's well worth a read.
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    I wonder when HEALTHY will be the new black. Who the hell cares what society says is plus sized? I'll be happy with my body when its strong and lean. If that's a size 6 or a size 10, it won't matter to me.
  • jadedone
    Options

Clothing from the 60s is cut a lot smaller in the waist. Old clothes were cut with a 10 inch gap between waist and hips. Nowadays it is more like a 7-8 inch gap between waist and hips.
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Our society has become seriously F&@ked

Definitely. If size six is plus size, I'm the Titanic.....

To me, plus size is anything bigger than an XL.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I think this is true, and comparing size is not a good measure anyway, really, they differ between manufacturers, I wear anything between size 2 to size 10 right now... big variation. 20 years ago the variation seemed to be less...
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    W H A T ?!!!!! Size 6?! Wow, that's crazy! And it makes me nervous for woman who already have body image issues. WOW
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Considering the size 16 I started at was legit plus size, the size 6 I am currently makes me feel like a supermodel! I'm a healthy weight... I don't agree with the modeling world and what they consider as appropriate sizes. I can't imagine being a size 0, I'd have to eat 300 calories a day and workout for 4 hours to maintain it. Ick...

you look great :)
  • sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    WTF???!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :noway: :noway: :noway:

I'm 5'8.5" and a size 6 and it took me 9.5 months to get here. I'll cut someone if they ever try to call me plus-sized.

This made me laugh out loud!
  • jadedone
    Options
    If you just compare Cindy Crawford's arm or her legs in her "prime" to a current model, she is much plumper. It is ridiculous.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That's perfect...I'm still thinking that way anyway...lol