Why am I so hungry and light-headed?!?!

Options
So, I'm a newbie here....I just started using MFP on Monday of this week. Since then, I have been very vigilant about staying under the 1200 calorie goal and working out at the gym (I am 5'1" and started at 125, down to 123 as of yesterday). I'm not completely sedentary, I coach gymnastics for a living, but working out at the gym is new for me.
Anyways, today was awful!! I totally blew my daily calorie goal because I've been SOOOOO hungry! I started feeling light-headed, dizzy, tired and just plain blah; until I ate...A LOT! Then it happened again, also relieved when I ate A LOT again. What gives?!? Am I depriving myself that much or is my body just still adjusting to this drastic change? Is this temporary?

Replies

• ladybird_
    ladybird_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may be too low in sugars and calories, I usually find if I am going into ketosis I can eat the whole kitchen in one sitting.
  • vschmale
    Options
    Eat more protein, it will stop the light headedness. Also, see if you can break your food down into every 2-3 hours, that way your blood sugar won't drop so drastically. Are you letting the MFP determine your calories, or did you set that number for yourself? You probably need to eat a few more calories...again, I suggest protein.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are depriving yourself. You aren't supposed to go under 1200 calorie net, but you said you've been staying under it. That's depriving yourself. You should try to aim for the calorie goal, but staying under it isn't advised. Just eat as close as you can to it.

However, if you are feeling crappy, you might try to change your settings so you only lose half a pound a week. That will give you more food and it is a lot easier in my opinion.
  • beckyyoungers
    Options
    You are eating too few calories!! Are you tracking your workouts at the gym and eating back those calories? If so, do it! Also you might want to decrease your weight loss goal to 1 lb/week if you have it set higher than that. I know everyone wants to lose 2 lbs/week but when you have your settings set to that, it is taking away 1000 calories from what you would normally eat to maintain your weight -- and that is a LOT. Of course you are going to be starving. Even at the 1 lb/week weight loss setting it is 500 calories less, and at that setting I sometimes do feel hungry, but it's much more manageable.

Hope that helps!
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    Have much do you usually eat? Going down to 1200 can be a pretty low number for some people, and a lot of people find it difficult to maintain. You might not be getting enough carbs or protein.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    First, you are already at a healthy weight for your height so you should be eating more than 1200 calories. Second, you should be eating your exercise calories also. Third, make sure you're eating as clean as possible and that what you are eating is nutritious.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    NO ONE, and I mean absolutely NO ONE should be consuming under 1,200 calories. Your body is starving! You need to be eating at least that amount, and more than likely, more than 1,200.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    From what I understand shorter people can eat less than 1200 calories...however I wouldn't suggest that in your case. You seem to lead a very active lifestyle, coaching involves a lot of movement, and if you're also working out at the gym I suggest you make sure your activity level here is set to the most active possible and also eat back your exercise calories since you seem to need them.

I don't have all the answers, and I don't claim to, but the what I've suggested tends to be the most realistic, and helpful advice I've seen here on the forums. But if you continue to get the light-headedness even after eating more I would consult a physician as you might have other underlying issues involving diabetes, or hypoglycemia (probably not the case though).
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i couldnt see your food diary to really give some suggestions .. should open it up to some folks so we can see what you are eating and drinking in a day
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree-- you're hungry and light-headed because you're not eating enough. 1200 is the bare minimum. Most people need more, especially if you're exercising. I'm 5'4", 140ish lbs, and I eat about 1500 calories net per day. I also eat a lot of protein/good fats and that helps me stay full.
  • CoachingMom
    Options
    Wow! I appreciate all of your quick responses and the fact that they're all so knowledgeable and kind!! I didn't realize that I am supposed to be eating back my exercise calories. So yeah, I've DEFINATELY been depriving myself. No wonder I felt so crappy today!
    I have never tracked my calorie intake until now, so I have no idea how much I was eating before now. What I do know is that I was overindulging on candy and junk food. I just want to lead a healthier lifestyle and look like it too.
    Thank you all very much for the positive feedback!!
  • beverlywu
    beverlywu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've split up my meal settings on MFP into

1.) Breakfast - 9:30am
    2.) Lunch 11:30-1:30
    3.) Snack 1:30-3:30
    4.) Snack 3:30-5:30
    5.) Dinner 5:30-8:30

And I tell myself that I HAVE TO EAT at each interval, because if I miss one of the snacks (especially in the afternoon) I get sort of cranky and that blood sugar crashy feeling and REALLY hungry by dinner, which is not good. With this plan, each meal is 300 calories and each snack is 100 calories. That gets you to 1200, if you don't exercise.

I prefer to do more exercise and eat a bit more at each time slot to reach that net calorie goal.

Also, I've been drinking LOTS of fluids, like warm tea, throughout the day. After eating I make sure to drink 16-24 oz of fluids and that seems to stop the "I'm still hungry" feeling. I bought one of those enormous 24oz starbucks cold cups and sip at it throughout the day.

Also Go4Trim or PGX packets can help fill you up with soluble fibre and help regulate that blood sugar too. I find it helps me.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    B
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow! I appreciate all of your quick responses and the fact that they're all so knowledgeable and kind!! I didn't realize that I am supposed to be eating back my exercise calories. So yeah, I've DEFINATELY been depriving myself. No wonder I felt so crappy today!
    I have never tracked my calorie intake until now, so I have no idea how much I was eating before now. What I do know is that I was overindulging on candy and junk food. I just want to lead a healthier lifestyle and look like it too.

People tend to swoop in when we see people not eating enough. lol It's a pretty common problem when you're new because MFP, unlike a lot of "diet" programs, will allow you lose weight with no exercise at all. So the idea of eating exercise calories is pretty foreign to most new members.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    You should up your calories if you have an active lifestyle. Also, you said that you try and stay under you 1200 calorie limit; why? That's what you're supposed to eat. If you eat less than you'll go into starvation mode. I eat 1560 calories a day and have lost 16lbs so far. Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you weren't eating enough, in addition to all the exercise, deff depriving yourself. just eat more on a regular basis and you're golden
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I def agree with everyone else..eat more. I too can feel lightheaded once in a while and hungry. I have to eat every 2.5-3 hours within my calorie limits. You could also try gloclose tablets too, I heard that helps. :bigsmile:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Ditching the candy and junk food is probably a good idea for now, but don't ditch all food.

Try to get some more calories from foods that aren't as processed. You will probably find that it takes quite a bit of food to get all of your protien, fiber and water, but it doesn't take a lot of calories.
  • blasiansrus
    Options
    I generally feel terrible & light headed if I don't eat enough for a while, too...and I agree w/everyone else; you're eating way too little even for if you weren't exercising. Probably 90% of people need more than 1200 calories if they just lie still in bed all day, so it definitely wouldn't be enough if they were active at all.
    Just eat when you're hungry & eat until you're satisfied
    PS. Good luck with your weight loss :)