diet drinks

Options
Hairhacker
Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
Has anyone who has lost weight and made it to their goal done so while drinking diet soda the whole time and still do? I am wondering because I'm trying so hard to break my regular soda addiction and thinking of trying to switch to diet but don't want to if it is gonna hinder my weight loss. Just want to hear some other peoples stories about what has worked for them...thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    But I also found that my craving for sodas in general started to die down over time, too. From 5 to 6 diet sodas a day to maybe 4 a week. Just really don't want them.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i have :D
    I actually even drank regular pop and got down to 134 i think before I made the switch over to diet pop (which was dumb) but yes!
    I responded earlier. If it's something you love, don't give it up because you think it is stopping you from losing weight. I am drinking pop right now and I'm wearing size 1 jeans!
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    I drink a couple of day and have done okay (until this week).
  • Hairhacker
    Options
    It just uses up way too many calories if I try to continue with regular and then I end up starvin and goin over my calories, but it is just so hard for me. I can do without anything in my diet except that. I guess that's a sign too huh?
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer the taste of diet to regular. However, in terms of quantities, I personally feel squeamish about the connection of phenylalanine and cancer and don't drink soda (diet or regular) more than a few times a week.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, I quit soda cold turkey when I was at my highest weight back in middle school (lulz) and I dropped 20lbs doing only a few other things (less fried food, and somewhat smaller portions). Keep in mind my family mostly drank diet, so it wasn't just less calories I was taking in. My liquid intake was pretty much all soda too, so it's not like I was the occasionally soda drinker. That was literally all I drank.

Honestly, now soda just doesn't even appeal to me. I might have a sip of my boyfriend's occasionally, but that's it. It upsets my stomach now, I can't even get through a can. If I do drink get the rare craving for it, or am using it in a mixer, I almost always reach for regular, not diet. I am very distrustful of artificial sweeteners, and if I'm going to have something sweet and sugary, I'd rather that be real sugar, not something artificial.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is my savior. I am always so hungry (no matter howuch water and protein I consume) so diet drinks are the only thing with flavor that I can have as much of as I want.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is 0 calories.

I prefer diet over reg soda and this time I am really motivated to lose weight so Ive been drinking more water and I am not wanting my diet coke as much as before. I was drinking 4-6 a day & now I have 1 or 2.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Not to my goal yet.. but I lost 109 lbs, I went crazy with them in the first few months then went cold turkey, then started again.

I finally found something that works for me.

I drink at least 8 cups of water BEFORE I allow myself a diet drink, if I don't get there before dinner, no diet for me, if I do, I enjoy 1 (not usually more than 1, but sometimes 2).

Hasn't hurt my weight loss that I can see, just hurt my water intake in the beginning but now I got it so it doesn't affect anything negatively.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have always drank diet soda.....I am 75 pounds down now...I would not say it hinders weight loss....however you can read several articles of why it is bad for you.....but anything in large quanties is not good for you....everything in moderation...

if you are trying to break the regular soda try coke zero or try a diet pop.....I have found that when I really want a treat I will have diet root beer....but I do drink diet coke everyday. I use to drink 8-10 cans a day....I am happy to say I am down to 1-2 cans during the week and on the weekends maybe 3........
  • Moeincognito
    Options
    I was completely addicted to soda, I was drinking 2 litres of cola a day, but I switched to pepsi max, then gave it up. The nicest thing I have now is fruit water (water with a hint of a flavor) and it gives me what I need. I even find myself having water cravings now L(・o・)」
  • Hairhacker
    Options
    Thank you all!! If I want to lose the rest of the weight I am gonna have to get rid of the regular soda and I know that...I just have to find a way to make myself do it!!
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe try tracking how many ounces you are drinking in a day now and come up with a schedule to gradually reduce it over a set period of time. That way it doesn't become this all consuming craving like when you go cold turkey?

I don't know, I'm new at this but I figured I'd throw an idea out there!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Definitely kick the regular soda. I drink diet...I'm not to my GW yet obviously, but my mom has lost 100 pounds and reached her goal weight, and has maintained it for a year already, and she drinks 2-3 diet sodas a day.
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes. Actually, I never started drink soda at all until I started dieting. It started out only when I was craving sweets.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do not drink any sodas even diet soda's... Diet soda's spike your insulin levels which turns everything that you eat into fat, and also sends a signal to your brain to eat more. It also raises your cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Also causes migraine headaches. No kind of soda's are good, just because it says diet does not mean it has benefits
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8-10 diet sodas a day with no negative side effects
  • cassblue21
    Options
    Thank you all!! If I want to lose the rest of the weight I am gonna have to get rid of the regular soda and I know that...I just have to find a way to make myself do it!!

Dont get rid of it altogether! I drink it occasionally and I just make sure I put in the calories and I make myself burn half those calories cleaning or playing with the kids to even it out and make up for drinking it! :P I also have a friend that drinks pop all the time and has lost a ton of weight and looks fantastic! So as long as you know what your calorie intake is you should be fine drinking it.

I also know that pop in general is just bad for you, but it is delicious! ;)
  • shyandemily
    shyandemily Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped drinking my diet coke and I'm almost at goal. I drink 1 to 2 glasses a day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8-10 diet sodas a day with no negative side effects

teeth ok? you should research this (not opinions here)

8-10 a day is WAY too much
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!