How to stop hunger pains?

Options
I've been keeping under my calories, but my boyfriend and I tend to stay up late and since I haven't been allowing myself to eat past 9, I always end up with hunger pangs.
What do you guys do to ease them? I've been seriously dieting for 5 days so does it get easier over time?

Replies

• karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you've just started, it's going to take some time, especially if your body is used to eating later on. i work shift work so i found this especially hard, seeing as some nights i wouldn't be off shift til 1am. something i've found that helps is drinking lots of water, and sometimes i can curb the longing for food with adding crystal light. if it's true hunger that you're feeling, try something like celery, or other veggies and fruit.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    One word: eat.

Either spread your calories out further so you can have a small snack before bed, or consider eating more and working in some activity so that your entire calorie deficit for the day doesn't come from calorie rollback. After all, the general advice seems to be to eat every 3-4 hours. If you're up until midnight or 1 or 2 AM but you don't eat after dinner, that's not different from going from noon to 7 pm without anything. There's no magic to the time of day you eat, unless you're prone to huge binges at night.

And if you went from eating 2000 a day to 1200 a day, your body is having a panic attack at the moment. Ease it into the change. :)
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't eat under your calories. Eat as close to them as possible. You need them.

Later on, when you're eating a decent amount of calories, make sure you're drinking enough water. Quite often, we think we're receiving hunger pangs, when really they're thirst-related. Down a few glasses of water, and that feeling should disappear completely. If, after a while, you're still genuinely hungry, eat.

Our hunger / thirst feelings are almost identical.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    if im hungry, i eat. hubby and i are usually up til about midnight (sometimes later) and we eat dinner around 7ish.
    we both have protein shakes after we exercise (which is usually around 10-11pm) and some nights go straight to bed after it.
    try to figure out if youre actually hungry - try drinking some water or hot tea. if youre still hungry, make it a light snack. half a piece of peanut butter toast, or some veggies
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Put food in your mouth, then chew it. Swallow when necessary.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Are you truly hungry or is it your mind?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Put food in your mouth, then chew it. Swallow when necessary.

This. There's no reason not to eat after 9 p.m. Try to keep some calories for the end of the day! :)
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If your hungry eat! It doesn't matter what time of day it is the only thing that matters is that you stick to your calorie goal!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Eat...more. If you are seriously experiencing a growling stomach/hunger pains, then have a little something to eat. A piece of fruit, cheese, toast, whatever. Doesn't take much!
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    I agree with several others here... spread your calories out... opt for 4-5 small meals a day evenly spaced apart. eventually your body will let you know its time to eat 7 you wont even need to look @ the clock. When hunger pains strike late @ night Protein works best for me.... I can slowly eat a tsp or two of reduced fat peanutbutter off the spoon followed by a large glass of water 7 Im instantly full! Any protein will do... nuts, eggs, bean or lean meats... just keep the servings small... a little goes a long way! Good Luck!