Green Smoothie Recipes?

Options
I have recently been hearing a lot about green smoothies and raw smoothies which are supposed to be really good for you so I thought I would give it a try and experiment a bit. The recipe I tried had a mixture of lettuce, berries, banana and melon. I had to alternate a bit as I didn't have all the exact ingredients. The taste was ok but not great and it definitely didn't come out green! More of a brown colour which was a bit off-putting. Maybe because of the berries, but anyway... I'm hoping someone can help me with a few recipes for green or raw smoothies that actually taste good? Because my first try wasn't quite what I expected! :tongue:

Replies

• Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do one with a banana, 1 cup of frozen fruit (mango & peach or mixed berries), a couple handfuls of spinach and a little water or OJ (like 2 oz). Blend it up. You can also add ice to make it colder, but the frozen fruit chills it pretty well (in my experience). The smoothie is neon green when I use the mango and peaches, but a deep purple if I use the mixed berries.
    I love the taste-can't taste the spinach at all. My husband says he can taste it, but I think it's all in his head. lol
    Hope this helps!
  • stoutcms
    stoutcms Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of trying Shakeology? A friend of mine gave me some samples and they are actually very filling ....plus they have all the fruit and veggie nutrients you need!!!
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have heard a little bit about shakeology but I'm just not sure where to get them from. I'm in New Zealand and I don't know if they are available here.
    I like the sound of the spinach combo, I will have a look for some next time I'm out. If I can get the kids to drink it too that would be a bonus!
  • jmelissa87
    Options
    Hi!

Green smoothies are a great way to improve your health and nutrition without feeling like you're depriving yourself. And the good news is, once you get the hang of it, they can be super delicious! I find myself CRAVING my next green smoothie...never thought I would crave spinach quite so much :)

One thing to keep in mind is that melon is not such an easy fruit to incorporate into a smoothie. It can be done, but it's a bit more tricky...I would consider it a more "advanced" smoothie. Good fruits to get started with are BANANAS (always include at least 1-2 in each smoothie if you can...it's incredible for the taste and texture), mangos, pineapples, strawberries, blueberries, peaches and pears.

You can also buy some frozen fruit, but make sure you include at least one fresh fruit in each smoothie for texture (banana is a good one to include fresh).

Here are some fun and easy ones to get started with:

FROZEN MOJITO SMOOTHIE (non-alcoholic):
    Handful of fresh mint (about ½ cup)
    Juice of 1 lime

1 cup spinach

1 banana

¼ cup water (or club soda)

Ice

Dash of honey – optional
    (full recipe and instructions here: http://www.joyofsmoothies.com/frozen-mojito.html

GREEN STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE RECIPE:

1 banana

A few strawberries, remove stems

Big handful of spinach

About ¼-½ cup of water

A few ice cubes – to desired texture

(full recipe here: http://www.joyofsmoothies.com/banana-smoothie-recipe.html)

More tips and recipes can be found here: http://www.joyofsmoothies.com/banana-smoothie-recipe.html

Enjoy!
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie for breakfast every morning. I crave them and don't feel right unless I start my day with one. Usually I include:

1 handful (about a cup) of spinach or silverbeet - usually silverbeet because it lasts longer in the fridge
    1 banana (frozen - as in, I buy them fresh, peel them when they're ripe and freeze them in an airtight container)
    1 small apple
    1 orange
    1-2 nectarines or half a cup of frozen berries
    about 2 cups of water
    ...and if I want a bit more protein I'll add some almond meal or LSA.

Blend on high for about half a minute, depending on how powerful your blender is. This makes about a litre and I have the whole thing because it tends not to taste as good if kept in the fridge... although that's possibly all in my head. ;) Works out at about 300 calories for the entire litre, and tastes fruity and delicious!
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    www.greensmoothies.com.......this site explains what a green smoothie is, how to make one and loads of recipes.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like

1 frozen banana
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    couple handfuls frozen spinach
    ice
    water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    sometimes some peaches/mango/pineapple
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    www.greensmoothies.com.......this site explains what a green smoothie is, how to make one and loads of recipes.

Tried this site and it just went to a gardening/sprouting site??
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the green smoothie thing but start this morning with my first.

1/2 avocado
    1 cup spinach
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup mixed frozen fruit (mango, pinnapple, strawberry, peaches)
    1/2 tbs agave

It's pretty tasty!!
  • KippyBee
    KippyBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Spinach Shake

1 scoop of Vanilla Whey Protein
    1 big handful of spinach
    ½ banana
    2 tbsp of peanut butter
    ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk
    3 big handfuls of ice
  • MeggieMoo
    Options
    Hi, Aroz,

I'd check out the website greensmoothiegirl.com if you're new to the concept. Lots of interesting info on there!

I rarely put anything except fruit and veggies into my green smoothies (I sometimes put in chia gel or vegan hemp powder, and I'm looking to start adding Vitamineral Green soon), but that's a personal choice. Frequently, they don't turn out very green, more like a brown or blueish color, so that's not unusual. Some of my go-to recipes are:

3 big handfuls spinach
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    1 cup blueberries

3 big handfuls of kale
    1.5 cups raw pineapple
    1 cup cranberries
    1 orange

3 big handfuls swiss chard
    about 30 baby carrots
    1 orange
    1 banana

Also, if you're interested in adding things to your smoothies (powders, etc. to enhance nutrition), check out NativasNaturals.com. They have a TON of vegan, organic whole food powders.

I love my green smoothies, so I hope you enjoy them! Best of luck! :)
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have tried many green smoothies but after getting my hands on this one (even my son likes it!) I haven't bothered with any others

I also have a vitamix blender which is the best machine for smoothie making on the planet.

handful of spinach
    small handful of frozen green grapes
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 pear (any type)
    1/2 orange peeled (leave the white part on it's tasteless and full of vit C
    5 icecubes and about 1/4 cup of filtered water

It comes out a cool lime green color and taste delish!

Some other additions I add if available

1/4 cup cooked kale
    coconut milk ice cubes

These ingredients are easy to keep on hand and you might find yourself craving them just like me! Only 135 -150 calories and makes a huge glassfull
  • dollienj
    Options
    I just tried one this morning - another forum poster had given the recipe, but I'm afraid I don't remember who (sorry).

½ cup milk (I used Smart Balance Lactose Free fat free with calcium)
    1 frozen banana
    5 whole frozen strawberries
    1 handful spinach (I used Dole fresh baby spinach, I might chop it up a bit before blending next time)
    Ice cubes
    2 packets Truvia sweetener
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Blend until smooth. It had a nice flavor (the banana came through the most) and thicker texture. It also made a large quantity. The whole thing is 225 calories, 53 carbs, 0 fat, 11 protein and 8 fiber. I'll admit, when I first looked at the green color, I was a bit wary, but once I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised.
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    hmmmm try http://www.rawfamily.com/green-smoothie.......and there is a great app for my iphone as well. Good Luck! I love my green smoothies!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Goal for the week: Make a green smoothie. I love regular smoothies and you all have inspired me. Thank you!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump