What kind of weight training should I do?

Options
Hello! Everyone says I should do weight training but I'm not sure what kind.
What I want to do is make my butt smaller and lose inches from my thighs.
I ride my bike for an hour 5 days a week and do pilates exercises for toning the whole body for 50 mins 5 days a week. I'd like to start swimming.
What else should I do?
Any suggestions will be appreciated thanks!

Replies

• vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello! Everyone says I should do weight training but I'm not sure what kind.
    What I want to do is make my butt smaller and lose inches from my thighs.
    I ride my bike for an hour 5 days a week and do pilates exercises for toning the whole body for 50 mins 5 days a week. I'd like to start swimming.
    What else should I do?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated thanks!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ladies nened to realize that it's impossible to "Bulk Up". We don't have the muscle anatomy to do that. We'll never look like Arnold unless we're using some sort of supplemet like Steroids, Andro, HGH, etc.

You need to focus on high reps and low weights and that will help tone up the area. It's hard to tell you what exercises to do since I'm not there to watch your form and make sure that you are doing it right. Look online for some videos possibly, join a weight lifting class at the gym or if you can afford it get one or two visits with a trainer!

You are TOTALLY verging on being underweight. I'm 5'7 and when I'm 130 pounds I look pretty skinny so I can't imagine what I would look like at 118.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Another option would be to sig up for a weight training class if you are in college or jr. college. They usually have them and the teacher do a pretty good job of giving you things to do.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you're talking about reducing fat, weight training really won't do it. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't weight train, I think weight training is an important part of a healthy lifestyle (or some kind of resistance training at least).

Unfortunately it's very difficult to spot reduce area's of the body. If you have intramuscular fat (usually there isn't a lot of this, most of it is adipose fat examples of which are the beer belly or big hips or big butt) you can do spot anaerobic training and that may help as that will bring your muscles into such a state that it will be dying for energy and suck up any available resources close to it (like High intensity training), but generally you just have to wait for your body to decide it's time to burn the fat from an area.

so the short answer is, patience and persistance are the only way to reduce fat in any area of the body.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well without too high levels of testosterone you should be able to do any weight training you want.....but, my daughter just had to design her own weight training program for her PE class and they had to choose whether they wanted to get bigger, lose weight or tone and since she is thin she wanted to tone.

We spoke to two gym trainers and called a couple of trainers in town with great reps for advice and they all told her to get lean and tone she needed to do light weights, as little as 5-10 lbs per muscle group and do 25 reps and do 3-5 intervals. Basically for women it doesn't take a lot to get tone it's about working it more and until you reach the point you feel you can't do even one more rep. Heavier isn't necessarily better.

If you belong to a gym a great way to start is to use the circuit training machines.
  • vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ladies nened to realize that it's impossible to "Bulk Up". We don't have the muscle anatomy to do that. We'll never look like Arnold unless we're using some sort of supplemet like Steroids, Andro, HGH, etc.

You need to focus on high reps and low weights and that will help tone up the area. It's hard to tell you what exercises to do since I'm not there to watch your form and make sure that you are doing it right. Look online for some videos possibly, join a weight lifting class at the gym or if you can afford it get one or two visits with a trainer!

You are TOTALLY verging on being underweight. I'm 5'7 and when I'm 130 pounds I look pretty skinny so I can't imagine what I would look like at 118.

It seems I am underweight but that is only because I have no chest. I'd imagine I'd weigh more if I did. but the fact is, all the fat is on my lower half and it really sucks. i'm doing all this because i just want to balance it out better.
    thanks for the suggestions
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

It seems I am underweight but that is only because I have no chest. I'd imagine I'd weigh more if I did. but the fact is, all the fat is on my lower half and it really sucks. i'm doing all this because i just want to balance it out better.
    thanks for the suggestions

I'm a 34D and I know for a fact that they only weigh 2 pounds for both of them (don't ask) so I'm pretty sure it's not your chest! :laugh:

There's NOTHING wrong with having an *kitten*. Guys like it I'm promise! You need to tone it and make it lift so doing squats, lunges, and deadlifts will help! :bigsmile: